So, about that manual for the Mac Version

Couldn't find one. Fortunately I remember some things from the olden days (tab-1 for view lock, amazing how it all comes back, like riding a bicycle...)

Some questions about units I am not familiar with:

- what is the role of ammo bearers attached to guns, mortars, HMGs? What is the impact if they are lost?

- Bil on his blog talks about medical duties. Please explain?

On a more general note, I am getting my ass handed to me in the training scenario, attacking as US. Help?

All the best

Andreas

I don't have a Mac but on the PC version the manual is a PDF in the install folder and there are two manuals the engine manual and the game manual.

As for your other questions...

Ammo bearers actually do carry much of the ammo for their support weapons. So if you loose then you will loose a lot of their ammo. Another thing to note is that the weapon uses the ammo from the ammo bearers first so you can send them to fetch more and the MG can keep firing witness it's own supply.

There are no dedicated medics in the game but other soldiers can perform first aid, buddy aid, when they do that they collect ammo and weapons that they can use.

If you are reading Bil's blog you are well on your way to learning how to beat the AI.

Thanks Ian. 

No install folder on the Mac, so no manual. I need to have a word with Steve.

So how do I send the ammo bearers back to get more ammo?

The medical aid is performed automatically, or is there an order for that?

Cheers

Andreas

I hope someone who is a Mac expert will come along and explain how to find the manual.

The ammo bearers need a vehicle to get ammo from. Most trucks and half tracks have a supply of ammo. If you have the ammo bearers mount the vehicle then there will be a acquire command on the special menus.

Buddy aid is automatic but you need to leave soldiers still in the same location as the fallen and they will only buddy aid if they are not believe shot at.

Got it through the App store, v.1.1 which is probably why. There is no folder, just the App.

I guess I I just have to rebuy through Battlefront, since I cannot see a way to upgrade the App.

Thanks for the help guys.

All the best

Andreas

So, how are you liking the CMX2 engine so far, Andreas? Having any trouble disengaging from the CMX1 mindset? Or taking to the new game play? It's very different, that's for sure. Some of the basics are still there, though.

And...what the hell took you so long? LOL.

Mord.

I needed to get a proper computer first.

I actually think it plays very well. Much improved over the CMx1 engine.  I have played some games on the basic setting against the AI, and it's far more fun than I expected it to be.

All the best

Andreas

The engine has really matured over the last few years, lots of cool new features that add to the atmosphere, my favorite being the hit decals— triggers being the biggie for the scenario editor. I don't know if you've bought everything but once you add up all the vehicles and units in the modules we ended up with way more than what was in CMBO for the same time span, minus the French. Lots of new toys!

My first CMBN game (I think it was the demo) I had a team of GIs running across a farmyard, this German soldier popped up in the window of this little house ready to take a shot and one of my guys stopped in mid-stride, took aim and plopped a rifle grenade right through the window. He killed both the German and a buddy that was with him, then just continued on his way. THAT'S when I realized I'd finally gotten what I been wishing for all those years ago in CMBO.

It's definitely a great time to be a Combat Mission player.

Mord.

Andreas,

Happy to help.  Thanks for the kind words on my recovery. Also, weren't you one of the people doing the ViZh site, or do I have you confused with someone else?

Mord,

Are you sure about there being more vehicles and  units for the period than in CMBO? That strikes me as odd, considering how anal BTS was in its first CM game and what was said later by BFC regarding the relatively few vehicle types depicted in CMx2 as a result of the much greater work to model vehicles with many more moving parts and way higher polygon counts. I haven't checked the CMx2 lists, but the complete CMBO Vehicle List is here, though admittedly it's not broken out in terms of what was available in Italy and when. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Mord,

Are you sure about there being more vehicles and  units for the period than in CMBO? That strikes me as odd, considering how anal BTS was in its first CM game and what was said later by BFC regarding the relatively few vehicle types depicted in CMx2 as a result of the much greater work to model vehicles with many more moving parts and way higher polygon counts. I haven't checked the CMx2 lists, but the complete CMBO Vehicle List is here, though admittedly it's not broken out in terms of what was available in Italy and when. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I am pretty much positive but you got my curiosity up so I am in the midst of doing an update tally now. I'll let you know when I am done.

Mord.

Mord,

Are you sure about there being more vehicles and  units for the period than in CMBO? That strikes me as odd, considering how anal BTS was in its first CM game and what was said later by BFC regarding the relatively few vehicle types depicted in CMx2 as a result of the much greater work to model vehicles with many more moving parts and way higher polygon counts.

Funny you said that cause in the original thread I started, MikeyD said the same thing.

I haven't checked the CMx2 lists, but the complete CMBO Vehicle List is here, though admittedly it's not broken out in terms of what was available in Italy and when. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Italy and CMAK weren't a part of CMBO or my tally. But there is a tally here from Sequioa for CMFI.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/107802-cmfi-vs-cmak-vehicle-comparison-list/?hl=commonwealth

Now, the final tally for CMBN...even if one argues some of my of choices for what includes new vehicles (Rhino variants) it still far exceeds what you thought!

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/93376-cmbo-cmbn-equipment-comparrison-chart/page-6

I hope the hell you appreciate it, LOL...it only took me 9 hours!

Mord.

Edited by Mord