Is CMFI a good buy for a first-time Combat Mission player?

Hello, I am a new player to Combat Mission and I am wondering if this game is a good buy for someone who is a new player to the series in general.

I initially made this forum account under the assumption that I was going to buy Combat Mission: Black Sea. After playing the demo of Black Sea, I found it was okay but I don't think the fast-paced deadly gameplay of modern combat doesn't really appeal to me once tanks and air support get involved. I played the demo of Red Thunder as well and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of units, but I think that I can get around it now after some time with larger scenarios of other CM games. I'm interested in this one (CMFI) because the unique factions (Italy, Britain, Poland, etc) but I wanted a second opinion from the veterans to see if this game is a good starting point in the Combat Mission series.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! Also, apologies if a thread like this already exists, I could not find one while browsing through the other threads, so I figured I'd just make one.

I would get battle for normandy first unless you prefer the modern vehicles. BN has the best campaigns in my opinion and alot of scenario maps plus it seems to be the community favorite leading to more downloadable scenarios. fortress italy is a good game too theres just something about BN that feels right. also if you get BN the "courage and fortitude" campaign is a real challenge, dont be disheartened if you get your butt whooped by this beast. if your interested in online play 

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/

is one of the best places to get matchups. keep active on the forum and you will have more games than you can handle.

Me, I'd go for CMFI first, because the close-in bocage fighting in Normandy is especially vexing for newbie players (and for veterans alike). There's no normandy hedgerow fighting in CMFI. This assumes of course, that you'll get hooked and eventually be compelled to buy everything. So the question isn't so much which to buy instead of another, the question is in what order to buy them!  :D  ;)

I'm with MikeyD here. Go for FI. It's a great game in itself and it will introduce you to the great gameplay without the frustrations of bocage fighting which offers a unique challenge. It also has such a range of batles - from dusty to snowy that it feels more like a game and a half.

I think that @MikeyD and @Vein are spot on.  Plus if you find CMFI interesting then it will increase your fun.  As @MikeyD said it is not which to buy but what order to buy them :D

Oh and @iluvmy88 is quite right about theBlitz.

PS.  That's no wall of text just wait until you see what some people write :) Welcome aboard.

Like the previous three four: CMFI is a GREAT game. The lethality is lower than CMBS, the lines of sight are longer than CMBN, the unit count is less than CMRT. Sounds like the Goldilocks solution for you. ;)

I enjoy CMFI a lot. No, there's not as much content available online as with CMBN (user made battles, etc.), but there are some great mods which spruce up the look. The forces are so much less lethal (less armor and airburst, laser-guided, etc.), that maneuver actually works.

There should be a demo for you to download and try for free. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Edited by c3k

Like the previous three four: CMFI is a GREAT game. The lethality is lower than CMBS, the lines of sight are longer than CMBN, the unit count is less than CMRT. Sounds like the Goldilocks solution for you. ;)

I enjoy CMFI a lot. No, there's not as much content available online as with CMBN (user made battles, etc.), but there are some great mods which spruce up the look. The forces are so much less lethal (less armor and airburst, laser-guided, etc.), that maneuver actually works.

There should be a demo for you to download and try for free. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Yes, I already downloaded the demo and have tried all except one of the scenarios. I'm not very good at the game but I'm actually having fun! I think I'll get CMFI as my next purchase. Probably won't be able to afford until around October, but I think it'll be worth the wait.

Speaking of which, I was wondering if there is any kind of limit on how many times I can download the game or anything like that? I have never bought a product off this site before so forgive me if I'm unfamiliar with the DRM.

Edited by SovietPachyderm

No limits on DLing. And you can have a copy on two different computers. 

Something worth mentioning is that CMFI is as up-to-date as the Red Thunder title (newest of the WWII CMs). All CM titles from CMBN on have an upgrade system, which means that if any new title adds features that are pertinent to other titles, those titles will eventually get a modestly priced upgrade DLC. For instance, when Red Thunder was released it added hit decals on vehicles, flame throwers, AI triggers for the scenario editor and a bunch of other stuff. Then upgrades came out for CMBN and CMFI that added those features to both titles making their engines on par with RT's. In the end it means CMFI will not suffer from "feature envy". Three years from now the Italy game will be as advanced engine wise as a title in 2018—it's a wargamer's dream.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Welcome onboard - no matter which game you end up buying, you will have endless of hours of fun. And then there is the editor... and H2H, and QB:s ...

Just have patience - you will probably learn the game the hard way. It is perhaps the only way. Every time you make a mistake, instead of cursing yourself, stop for a while and analyze why it happened.

Kinda' wish sometimes that I was new to the game, just to experience the first thrill again. Guess that will come with the Bulge-game. It did for sure with CMBS.

Yeah, they didn't add tank riders to BN or FI. But they'll have them in the Bulge.

CMFI doesn't have flame throwers probably because it only goes to May 44?

I was just riffing some added features from off the top of my head. I couldn't remember everything that was new to RT.

Mord.

Don't listen to them! It's all propaganda! They're trying to sell you a line!

Only buy CMFI if you want the only CM WWII game that goes back to 1943, and has the most nations. And mountains. Who wants to fight on mountains?? That's crazy talk!

If you want to do even more insane things, go and buy Gustav Line to add the added inconvenience of expanding the timeline and adding even more units and nations. What next? Little green men? I ask you...

:D

Edited by Bud_B

I started out with the Normandy game, and I'm still stuck in the hedgerows :)

It's been enjoyable though, so don't let the hedgerow talk scare you away.

The good thing about bocage fighting is that it matches well with the limited AI in the CM games. In the American campaigns at least, you're mostly struggling to advance through the Germans' quite stationary defenses, just like in real life.

The downside is that a few of the maps get a bit "puzzly", locking you in to a labyrinth that seems a bit too gamey.

Edited by Bulletpoint

SovietPach...

Maybe you already feel this way?

I recommend that as soon as possible, make the break AWAY from playing against the AI. And never look back!

Get into the PBEM world using CM helper and see the game get so much more dynamic when H2H.

A short, small PBEM can maybe be done in an evening if you and your opponent hit it back and forth like a tennis ball.

Or do a long game of chess with a huge 2 hour battle that takes months.  

Bishop to queen's rook 7!

:D

Another point, CMBN isn't just bocage battles, especially once you get to the modules. But there are plenty of scenarios out there for the basic game that have other themes besides hedgerows.

Mord.

Another point, CMBN isn't just bocage battles, especially once you get to the modules. But there are plenty of scenarios out there for the basic game that have other themes besides hedgerows.

Mord.

I agree. CMBN is much much more than bocage battles, and the Repository has tons of maps that are not all closed in bocage nightmares. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend CMFI.  I have both and enjoy FI more.  CMBN to me has just too much trees and bocages.  For some reason I just don't care for all that foliage!  It gets into my way and can't see anything.  And if you toggle it 

off then it messes with your LOS.  A great game overall but I like FI more.  IMHO

SovietPachyderm,

Welcome aboard!

You are clearly a complex person, given your handle rather jarringly at odds with your avatar, a gas masked Landser in a coal scuttle helmet. I have no direct experience with CMFI, (lucky to have full CMBN less VP and also CMBS) other than in coaching a former roommate through the CMFI Demo, which he enjoyed, and in reading the CMFI Forum religiously. There was a thread recently (don't recall which Forum) in which someone asked which was the best CMx2 game to start with, and the resulting discussion was most illuminating. Perhaps one of our gaming colleagues recalls the title and could post the link? I will say, though, there may be a significant reason over and above the ones already presented. That is you'll be able to play kohlenklau's Operation Hercules. Available exclusively on CMFI! He has been to Malta himself and had the benefit of a genuine Maltese as a technical consultant. Where else are you going to find T-34s in the MTO, or the ETO, for that matter? ZI doesn't count!  For the record, your post is anything but a wall of text.

Regards,

John Kettler