Umlaut´s Red Thunder mods

15 hours ago, umlaut said:

Panzer IIIG and IIIM mods

I think the vanilla Panzer III´s look very nice - well in fact a bit too nice. So I gave them a bit of dust and camo.

There are three different camo schemes to chose from: Place the folder with your favorite in your mods folder - and leave the other two.

Here´s a Dropbox link for the mods. I´ll remove the folder from Dropbox, when the mods have been released on Cmmods IV.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgib7517a63vebm/AAD8FnLJwD1bD904oQt6BPv_a?dl=1

Preview.jpg?dl=1

+1.  Nice work.  Thank you. 

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

Is it possible to mix mods and use numbering of hulls etc so that different camo schemes can show up in the same scenario?

I think it is. You can try and see what happens when you choose a Sturmgeschüts brigade for a test scenario in the editor or in a quick battle.

Edited by BornGinger

3 hours ago, rocketman said:

Very nice looking mod @umlaut

3 hours ago, rocketman said:

Is it possible to mix mods and use numbering of hulls etc so that different camo schemes can show up in the same scenario?

I am pretty sure that it is not.

At least, I have tried several times and never been able to make it work.

5 hours ago, rocketman said:

OK, I think I got all this correct. Anybody spots a goof, please say so and I can edit it or revise.

Yes, Vehicle Mods: there is some mixing you can do but it has disadvantages and an unknown randomness to the end result displayed. The turret is like the shirt and the hull is like the pants, maybe the wheels are like the socks? Some vehicles only have the hull. For these PzIII M and G, they have turret, hull and wheels. But Dennis didn't camo the wheels so they are universal. EDIT: I forgot M have skirts. That must be like a jacket over the shirt! 

It all depends on what you want to see displayed. 3 different schemes for the PzIIIG, the filenames can be incremented. But the dang game can outsmart you and you end up with all 3 the same for a turn. It deals the cards each time you load the file. You can even end up with the game displaying the hatches from one turret on the turret of another camo pattern! Turret of 2 colors (brown and green) only on hull of 1 color (green OR brown). Various iterations. EDIT: skirts can annoyingly be part of one skirt image and then on the same tank, a "panel" of the skirt is another skirt color from a different image, ugggh! Maybe better to alpha layer the skirts filesout. At least that conveniently works for North Africa... 🙂

For CMI North Africa I have enjoyed to put various turret numbers on the PzIIIG turrets and increment the filenames with modtag [afrika]. Then maybe use 1 or 2 generic hulls that match the turrets. The display is variety but the tank platoon HQ tank cannot always be "230"... EDIT: a big tank battle of ten PzIIIG's will have duplicates shown on screen. Even if you have a dozen incremented options....

Follow me?

Advanced Course: Another fun way to get the tanks variety is to have  some of the camo schemes be KO'd tanks renamed to be junk flavor objects. 

Edited by kohlenklau

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

OK, I think I got all this correct. Anybody spots a goof, please say so and I can edit it or revise.

Yes, Vehicle Mods: there is some mixing you can do but it has disadvantages and an unknown randomness to the end result displayed. The turret is like the shirt and the hull is like the pants, maybe the wheels are like the socks? Some vehicles only have the hull. For these PzIII M and G, they have turret, hull and wheels. But Dennis didn't camo the wheels so they are universal. EDIT: I forgot M have skirts. That must be like a jacket over the shirt! 

It all depends on what you want to see displayed. 3 different schemes for the PzIIIG, the filenames can be incremented. But the dang game can outsmart you and you end up with all 3 the same for a turn. It deals the cards each time you load the file. You can even end up with the game displaying the hatches from one turret on the turret of another camo pattern! Turret of 2 colors (brown and green) only on hull of 1 color (green OR brown). Various iterations. EDIT: skirts can annoyingly be part of one skirt image and then on the same tank, a "panel" of the skirt is another skirt color from a different image, ugggh! Maybe better to alpha layer the skirts filesout. At least that conveniently works for North Africa... 🙂

For CMI North Africa I have enjoyed to put various turret numbers on the PzIIIG turrets and increment the filenames with modtag [afrika]. Then maybe use 1 or 2 generic hulls that match the turrets. The display is variety but the tank platoon HQ tank cannot always be "230"... EDIT: a big tank battle of ten PzIIIG's will have duplicates shown on screen. Even if you have a dozen incremented options....

Follow me?

Advanced Course: Another fun way to get the tanks variety is to have  some of the camo schemes be KO'd tanks renamed to be junk flavor objects. 

I think you´re wrong, Phil (or perhaps we are not talking about the same thing?)

In my experience you can not assign different mod types to different versions of the same vehicle.

To simplify, let us  say that I have made a red, a green and a blue Panzer III. Now I could give all the red bmp´s the number 1, the greens number 2 and the blues number 3. Like this for the red:
pz-iiim-hull1.bmp
pz-iiim-skirts1.bmp
pz-iiim-turret1.bmp

And this for the green:

pz-iiim-hull2.bmp - and so on.

But the game loads all the files randomly, so you will end up with one tank with a green turret, a red hull and blue skirts, while another might have blue turret and skirts, but a red hull. And so on.
I have never been able to find a method that would ensure that one tank is only green, only red or only blue.

I understand. I think we are saying the same thing. 

I will try to clarify my point. As the mods in the mixed pool become more compatible, then the use of incremented filenames along with the random dealing of displayed textures, the end result is better to the eye.

EDIT: For example, you or anybody could focus on the wonderful PzIIIG that is mottled both green and brown over the dark yellow. Take the turret and add turret vehicle numerals, maybe unit insignia and make 3 or 4 different files. The hull might match all those 3 or 4 and not need a second hull. All this could be modtagged [umlautpziiig] so it only comes up when summoned. Make a scenario or QB map with that modtag and then purchase the 3 or 4 or 5 PzIIIG's and enjoy the display.

Edited by kohlenklau

Re the naming conventions, this has confused me years.  I thought that mod options have to read:  option.bmp; option 2.bmp; option 3.bmp.  ie: when one has multiple options one has to miss out the option that logically would be "option 1.bmp".  Also, there is a space between "option" and the number "x".

In order for all options to appear in the game (randomly), are you certain that the option names can be "option1.bmp"; "option2.bmp"??  ie: include the "1" and no space between "option" and the number "x".

Also, my understanding is that the SOUND mods have a slightly different naming convention.  If someone could clarify the naming conventions that would be very helpful.