The Peng Challenge Thread: Some one get me a drink, and tell me what's going on, eh?

28 minutes ago, Seanachai said:

This is a horrible place. 

But it does not need to be.

I want each and every one of you horrible little pants pissers to 'call upon the Old Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread' and see what happens.  Eh?

No.

Go away and leave us in peace... let The MBT rot; such as yourselves.

Noba.

Edited by Noba

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 3:40 AM, Berlichtingen said:

Come visit the Twin Cities. We'll drink some wine, eat some cheese, kick some Seanachai

That works on so many levels, alcohol, violence

...and cheese.

On 10/10/2016 at 4:13 AM, PanzerMike said:

I also like prog-rock.

wuss  (look it up. We'll wait)

Edited by Mace

On 10/13/2016 at 9:58 PM, Seanachai said:

This is a horrible place. 

But it does not need to be.

I want each and every one of you horrible little pants pissers to 'call upon the Old Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread' and see what happens.  Eh?

I tried, this is what I get "I am sorry but the number you have called has been disconnected, please check your number and try again or better yet forget you ever tried to connect to these blighters, nincompoops and other unsavory characters". 

On 11/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, costard said:

Anyone know what the early moves in gum sales in India are?

Dunno but I just saw an article about some self proclaimed goddess shooting off guns in a wedding there and she managed to take out the groom's aunt.  I expect sales to go up  I don't know if she prefers Trident, Wrigley's or double bubble   

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-38013000

Edited by sburke

5 hours ago, sburke said:

Dunno but I just saw an article about some self proclaimed goddess shooting off guns in a wedding there and she managed to take out the groom's aunt.  I expect sales to go up  I don't know if she prefers Trident, Wrigley's or double bubble   

Those crazy Indians, knee slapping stuff. We're gonna run out of popcorn.

• 1 month later...

So: A whimper. I should've known....

I should have known the piss bucket would one day run dry (the day after the liquor, I'm sure). The challenges would fade. The 'piss offs' would be silent. The log would turn, and so would we. Pathetic. Where's the Donkey when you need 'im?

Well another Christmas morning in the MBT and not much has changed.  Boo is passed out in the gutter in front of house Rune face down in his own vomit. Nice Boo.  Didn't get much sleep as that damn donkey was firing off his shotgun all night screaming something about freakin reindeer getting all the attention. 

To my liege Joe Shaw Knight Champion of the M.B.T., Justicar for Life of the Peng Challenge Thread, Creator of the Peng Challenge Thread Podcast, Cesspool Drain Commissioner and Founder of the Shavian House I raise a glass whilst spraying down the gutter with a Shavian House garden hose. You are welcome Boo, Merry Christmas. It was the least I could do... literally. 

Edited by sburke

Actually, much has changed.  Christmas morning was when I was called to the hospital, because they told me that Berli was probably going to die in the next day or two.

They were wrong.  But maybe 'just' wrong.

It is now 2017. There are, and will be, and will always be, Three Old Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread. There is an old, capering fat man, with wild hair, dancing and singing in the moonlight. There is a ranting lunatic, wise with humor and anger, called MrPeng, who rails against the dying of the light. And there is a Dark Figure, patient as a volcano, who sits wreathed in smokes and vapors, waiting to Judge.

His name is Berli.

He waits, now, and we wait with him. Peng and I sit, in the Wasteland, and we pass the ancient bottle, by the smoking fire, from hand to hand, and we say the words, and we remember. We sit upon the felled trees that form a triangle around the dancing flames. 

But one seat is empty, one log bare. But the fire still dances, the bottle still goes round hand to hand, and we still sit and wait.

And the folk still move on, like chattering monkeys, and they grow closer with every day, with their questions and desires, their memories and needs. They create the World, with all their chatter and foolishness, their wisdom and stupidity. 

And we abide their coming. And when they arrive, filled with sound and laughter, we move on. Out into the Wasteland. 

Berli is there ahead of us, maybe not for the first time. I've sent the word ahead, to ask him to wait for the Old Ones, to wait for the chattering folk, to wait for all the rest, to catch him up.

He has always been a very courteous bastard. I'm thinking he will wait for us. Long enough for us to catch him up, and annoy him.

I long to see him be pissed off with me, again.

For all the folk that know, and that care, Dan 'Berli' Brown, Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread,  is in a bad way.  In the week before Christmas, I took him to Urgent Care because all his friends here in town thought he had pneumonia.  It turns out he has Leukemia, which came down on him like a freaking freight train, and I got called on Christmas Day to be told that the ICU doctors figured he'd be dead in the next 24-48 hours.  He didn't die, and we're all happy about that, we who wait.  He's currently on life support, which has been resorted to in order to gain time for the chemotherapy to kick in, and help him kill the goddamn cancer.  Anyone who has ever met Berli knows that all he wants is a semi-even fight, and a place where he can wipe the blood off his shoes.  

I am the Seanachai.  I am an Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread.  I haven't had time to post here about this, because my buddy has been in a bad way.  

But now, all of you who can't access his FB page, you've been told.

You've been told.

On 12/25/2016 at 10:13 AM, sburke said:

Well another Christmas morning in the MBT and not much has changed.  Boo is passed out in the gutter in front of house Rune face down in his own vomit. Nice Boo.  Didn't get much sleep as that damn donkey was firing off his shotgun all night screaming something about freakin reindeer getting all the attention. 

To my liege Joe Shaw Knight Champion of the M.B.T., Justicar for Life of the Peng Challenge Thread, Creator of the Peng Challenge Thread Podcast, Cesspool Drain Commissioner and Founder of the Shavian House I raise a glass whilst spraying down the gutter with a Shavian House garden hose. You are welcome Boo, Merry Christmas. It was the least I could do... literally. 

You seem like a decent lad.  But I have to tell you, and I acknowledge personal prejudice, I do not like your avatar picture.  

It gives me the red ass.  Is there not another, less stupidly annoying, that you like?

I'm only asking...

22 hours ago, Seanachai said:

For all the folk that know, and that care, Dan 'Berli' Brown, Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread,  is in a bad way.  In the week before Christmas, I took him to Urgent Care because all his friends here in town thought he had pneumonia.  It turns out he has Leukemia, which came down on him like a freaking freight train, and I got called on Christmas Day to be told that the ICU doctors figured he'd be dead in the next 24-48 hours.

Serious bummer. A world without Berli would be an empty and dreary place. Hang in there, buddy. Semper Fi.

Michael

23 hours ago, Seanachai said:

For all the folk that know, and that care, Dan 'Berli' Brown, Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread,  is in a bad way.  In the week before Christmas, I took him to Urgent Care because all his friends here in town thought he had pneumonia.  It turns out he has Leukemia, which came down on him like a freaking freight train, and I got called on Christmas Day to be told that the ICU doctors figured he'd be dead in the next 24-48 hours.  He didn't die, and we're all happy about that, we who wait.  He's currently on life support, which has been resorted to in order to gain time for the chemotherapy to kick in, and help him kill the goddamn cancer.  Anyone who has ever met Berli knows that all he wants is a semi-even fight, and a place where he can wipe the blood off his shoes.  

I am the Seanachai.  I am an Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread.  I haven't had time to post here about this, because my buddy has been in a bad way.  

But now, all of you who can't access his FB page, you've been told.

You've been told.

Tough call man.  I had to deal with my father in his last years and he was adamant about not getting on life support.  Once you get there you start losing options about controlling your fate. Wishing Berli the best on the chemo.

Maybe I should have handed this off to Joe Shaw, the Justicar, or Bauhaus (who is sitting), but I'm not tired, yet, or quite drunk, so I will post.  

I am The Seanachai, of the Peng Challenge Thread.  Today, at 4:15, CST, Dan 'Berli' Brown, Gotz von Berlichtingen, died.  He was diagnosed with leukemia (neither capitalized, nor bolded) on the Wednesday before Christmas.  It came on like an unstoppable enemy, and despite the best efforts of the hospital he was at, and despite Berli's indomitable will, it finally put him down.  

My last words to him were:  Peng and I will see you again in the Wasteland.  I know he will be waiting.

Mostly to kick my arse all around and about.  But that's okay.

He stomped upon the Terra.

I'm saddened to hear that Berli lost his last battle.  He was one of the very first CM players out there and one of the best on this Forum.  When we started firming up design work for Shock Force I contacted him to help me make sure I didn't screw up the artillery support stuff too badly.  I just reread his emails from 2007 (yes, I keep 'em all) and he had some good advice.  I also was reminded that when we started getting CMBN ready that he was among the first people I contacted to help kick the crud out of the Beta.  I obviously did not hold his participation in the MBT against him.

He will be missed.

Steve

Berli gave me great advice during a chat:

'Chill your vodka in the freezer' he said!

and since then I've followed those words of wisdom, and I'm fortunate enough to now have a nicely chilled screw-driver to raise a glass to his memory.

Cheers Dan, and thanks for being a friend.