Hello Combat Mission community,

I am back again, this time to get your "must have" mods. I want to make a forum post, so all new players like myself can get familiar with the "go to" mods. I've been playing around with quick battles, and have been getting used to all the controls. One thing I noticed, is performance isn't amazing. I used NVIDIA control panel to tweak the settings, and I figured that this game is CPU heavy. I have a GTX 770, a I7-4790k as well as 16 gb of ram, so I wish to pick up some mods to possibly get more out of my GPU, as well as a more immersive experience. 

I am looking for:

• A HD overhaul for buildings, terrain, and if possible, those terrible map backdrop (please tell me how much of a performance impact the mod has)
  • Unit Packs (More units would be nice)
  • HD Units (the normal ones are nice, I would just like to see other options for better visuals)
  • Sound overhaul (once again, I want to know the performance impact, if any)

Those are just the core mods I am looking for, but please, If there are other mods that you strongly recommend; go for it. I really just want to experience all of the amazing content this community has created. And what better way to find great mods, than to ask you guys directly.

A few questions I have about mods, can you use them in multiplayer (i'm not ready for multiplayer yet, I'll come back later for that), A video on how to install mods would be great, and lastly how do I install custom scenarios?

Thank you for your help, and recommendations.

Yep, CMx2 is very CPU-heavy. I'm not sure the mods transfer the extra load they impose to the GPU, it just gets stacked on top of the extant CPU load. I could be wrong here, but one of the reasons I remember BFC giving for not having "nicer" textures is that they impose a load; if that load were on the underused GPU, it wouldn't be significant. I'm sure someone will correct me...

Mods are "display-only", so you can use what you like in multiplayer; it only affects what's drawn on your screen.

Yep, CMx2 is very CPU-heavy. I'm not sure the mods transfer the extra load they impose to the GPU, it just gets stacked on top of the extant CPU load. 

Mods are "display-only", so you can use what you like in multiplayer; it only affects what's drawn on your screen.

Thank you for that. I currently get pretty good fps and load times are short, but occasionally on large battles it slows down for a few seconds when moving the. I have AA set to x16, so ill try lowering that (maybe my gpu cant handle it). As far as mods, I will at least try them out. If I get terrible fps ill remove them, but Im confident I can tweak the settings for my rig.

Combat mission is also a game where 30 FPS is enough, so I really just need to make sure it doesn't drop to 10 fps like it does some times.

mods have 0-1% impact on decent pcs. even on my old gt 630 i had 0% lowered performance. not to mention now with 4690k and 970,subjective feeling tells me it even runs faster lol (with mods)

i 'd suggest not adding any terrain mods, just go to nvidia CP and select' 4x anti aliasing transparency' that will give you 1% reduced performance (for you card) but it ll give you 100% clearer Ground textures

regarding other mods, get:

Veins Effects (atm best tracer mod  , but could be better)

HQ 2.0 sound mod atm best sound mod,but also some sounds could be  improved and Zips should be toned down ALOT)

i am still waiting for a proper terrain mod to be released tho, aris terrain mod is better looking but its too dark ,and when shadows interfere with his ground,it looks like its night sometimes

AD terrain is also good but its not polished very well

somehow vanila terrain is just best at the moment

regarding units:  veins germans and soviets are good pick i think

buildings: i dont see improvement, i only see different buildings that moders make

Hi Milesb11

Kieme did a lot of building mods for RT - see here : http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114390-released-kiemes-modular-buildings-add-on-pack/

He also did standalone buildings - : http://community.battlefront.com/topic/113938-wip-independent-buildings-revamp/

TanksALot did outstanding buildings for CMBN and added a few for CMRT ( some of which overwrite Kieme's ) : http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114164-tanks-a-lots-cmrt-building-preview/

Hope that helps :)

A couple of other discussions about this:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119188-must-have-mods/
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114645-just-bought-the-game-need-some-nice-mods/

To find those I had to use google because the forum search will only search using words four characters or longer.

A couple of other discussions about this:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119188-must-have-mods/

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114645-just-bought-the-game-need-some-nice-mods/

To find those I had to use google because the forum search will only search using words four characters or longer.

Thank you, i did a little searching, but clearly not enough. 

I don't use many mods, because I find that often the quality is inconsistent. You might get 9 new nice firing sounds, but also one that sounds really bad, or the sound levels of the new effects will be out of step with the rest of the sounds, etc.

Well, I do use one mod, the one that thins out the foliage a bit. But even that produces some odd results at times, maybe because I don't play with detail levels cranked to max.

I don't use many mods, because I find that often the quality is inconsistent. You might get 9 new nice firing sounds, but also one that sounds really bad, or the sound levels of the new effects will be out of step with the rest of the sounds, etc.

Well, I do use one mod, the one that thins out the foliage a bit. But even that produces some odd results at times, maybe because I don't play with detail levels cranked to max.

i am always in dilema about these things.often switching between vanila and mods exactly because of this , and also because i am trying to stick 'to the original'. but those vanila tracers are just Long