Some fun reading

sburke

While looking at a book review on 7th panzers leadership procedures in the battle for France and the first few weeks of Barbarossa I found the document is actually on the Internet archive. While looking for it I found 3 other interesting reads

Go to Internet archive and search on Richard H. S. Stolfi. You should find 22 items among them are the following

The paper on 7th panzer
A paper on German disruption of Soviet C2 in the opening stages of Barabarossa
A paper on Manstein's Backblow and the implications for doing more with less in a strategic perspective
A very interesting bit of research on a mutiny aboard a Soviet Krivak class vessel and an attempt to seek asylum in Sweden in 1975.

Edited by sburke

sburke,

Sounds like some great stuff. The Krivak FFG was the Storozhevoy, and the mutiny leader was, of all things, the man charged with  preventing exactly such a thing, the zampolit or political officer.  He almost got to Sweden, too. The incident is supposed to be part of the basis for The Hunt for Red October. Another part of it appears to be from aspects of the terrifying once you know of it Red Star Rogue (K-129) story. Nothing quite like a run amok Russian boomer skipper with three megaton-range SLBMs at his disposal and no PAL to stop him!

Regards,

John Kettler

sburke,

Sounds like some great stuff. The Krivak FFG was the Storozhevoy, and the mutiny leader was, of all things, the man charged with  preventing exactly such a thing, the zampolit or political officer.  He almost got to Sweden, too.

Umm yeah I read it... that is why I posted it.