Future Combat Mission games

Additionally the germans lost 674 tanks, 217 were total write offs (beyond repair).

The campaign was rushed (because of fear of a french attack in the west where only some category B divisions were guarding the border) and most troops were inexperienced and tactics were untried.

The french actually thought the poles could hold out for 3-4 months, during that time they wanted to "prepare" a offensive against germany.

Edited by Wiggum15

Poland's strategic situation was more or less hopeless with the country surrounded, but the quickness of the German victory was still somewhat unexpected with unusually good autumn weather ("Hitler weather") playing a part, as well as the Russian stab in the back and German terror bombing. So while the French and British weren't exactly on top of things, it wasn't totally unreasonable to expect the Polish campaign to last into spring 1940. If the weather factor had gone the other way it might have.

Apart from the hopeless strategic situation the Poles were hampered by poor mobility, which allowed the Germans to run rings around them operationally even if the tactical situation was a lot more even. German air superiority

also turned retreats into routs, similar to what happened in France and Russia the following years.

z1812. Thats a very interesting list. May I ask why the Angolan civil war makes your top 3?

Hi Sublime,

As you may know, Angola turned into a proxy war that was subsidized by the usual Cold War Adverseries. Cuba eventually was involved as was South Africa. There were quite a lot of different weapons systems, Military groupings, and smaller actions that would make for an interesting CM title. The terrain would be new as well.

Google Search Cuito Cuanavale. I can't copy the link on my ipad.

Wiggum15,

Here is, for its time (published in April 1956 as RESTRICTED), at least, the best singe volume study of the Polish Campaign I know of. It's also free!

The German Campaign in Poland (1939)

By Robert M. Kennedy, Major, Infantry, United States Army

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/DAP-Poland/

Steve Zaloga and Victor Madej authored The Polish Campaign 1939, which I recall was a very good book. The link also shows several other works, one of which Zaloga also authored.

http://www.amazon.com/Polish-Campaign-1939-Steven-Zaloga/dp/087052013X

If you're interested in the armor and other equipment's camouflage and markings for the Polish Campaign, pretty much a topic unto itself, then you might like this heavily illustrated and pic rich book, Blitzkrieg: Armour Camouflage and Markings, 1939-40, another Steve Zaloga work. 

http://www.amazon.com/Blitzkrieg-Armour-Camouflage-Markings-1939-1940/dp/1854091654/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428915460&sr=1-10&keywords=camouflage+and+markings

Regards,

John Kettler

I'd be all over a Philippines 1944 game.  It's one of the places in the pacific where there was enough room for larger actions, urban fighting, armored warfare, paratrooper assaults and all sorts of goodness.  You'd be able to use US forces that broadly look like Normandy with a few quirks, but the Japanese would present a very different military force, and throwing in the various irregular factions could make for some really awesome missions.

Korea 1950 would be awesome too.  Light on the AFVs, but some really awesome stuff to work with in terms of scenarios.

Also a good late 80's Fulda gap would be mindblowing.  I'm partial to 1989 because it seems best positioned to offer very late cold war equipment (M1A1HAs, T-80Us, etc), while not getting into weird alternate history stuff, and still being reasonable to see a lot of the cold war standbys (and bypassing the "EVERYTHING IS NUCLEAR" phase of NATO).  

In terms of near future:

1. Korea. The DPRK is less likely to be a threat these days, but it could be fluffed a bit and the PLA might make a good inclusion.

2. Iran/Egypt.  We're running out of conventional threats in the middle east, and CM does COIN pretty good...but ISIS just is not going to let us do the tank on tank, company sized elements of troops that CM does very well.  Iran after a turn for the worse offers something similar to what Syria used to have in CMSF.  Egypt could be fascinating if we assume the current government crumbles and the Islamic Brotherhood comes back for reals.   On the other hand, just having a general purpose "middle east" game that modules in more than just Bluforce for the theater from the base game could be cool (so base game is US Army and Iran, Module 1 is Egypt and Israel, Module 2 is British Army and Syria/ISIS or something).

I like your near future idea.  It will most likely never happen because no one wants to touch the IDF because a few people will get their patties in a bunch.

Hi Sublime,

As you may know, Angola turned into a proxy war that was subsidized by the usual Cold War Adverseries. Cuba eventually was involved as was South Africa. There were quite a lot of different weapons systems, Military groupings, and smaller actions that would make for an interesting CM title. The terrain would be new as well.

Google Search Cuito Cuanavale. I can't copy the link on my ipad.

Steel Armor: Blaze of War is a wargame set during the Angolan Civil war IIRC. You might find it interesting.

Such a CM game might include a new unit type: "mercenaries"  . Maybe they are already in some of the "modern" CM games,

In CMSF there are unconventional units, militias and jihadis. That is why CMSF is my favorite game - you can use it to simulate almost any of the conflicts that took place in the middle east during the last 15 years.

Edited by agusto

BLSTK,

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm, alas, missing arguably the single most important attribute of an archivist: all-encompassing knowledge of what's held and where, or at least, where to start looking, however unlikely the beginning point. This is very hard to do when the wetware is not performing up to spec. Or even coming close!

agusto,

I don't know how I missed the CMSF troop types you listed. Somehow, all I recall were the UNCONs. From what little I know of the CMSF, I believe you'd have most of the weapons needed to do UNITA vs MPLA and whatnot, though for some types of conflict you'd need to be able to shuffle off to Buffel, wreak havoc with Rooikat, give 'em the guns with the G6. Vehicle Pack!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

there is also a game about the battle of Cuito Cuanavale., it is GRAVITEAM TACTIC operation hopper

it has a operational part where ypo move yor units on a strategic'operational map and then resolve the tactical battle

i played it a lot of times

Edited by Marco2marzo