Should I get Italy or Normandy

I want to buy CM. I do not know though which title should I buy Italy, Normandy or maybe Black Sea. I plan to finish single player and then play some PBEM. Are there some important (excluding theater of war) differences between those titles? Does some part have more active online players?

The only difference I can think of between Normandy and Italy (other than forces involved) is if you get the Normandy Vehicle pack you will have flame weapons. Some folks tire of all the bocage fighting in the Normandy game (just like real life I suppose) and prefer the mountains of Italy, but one can get around that. The number of Normandy players is bigger than Italy players. Black Sea is really hot right now and has brought in many new folks. I'd say try the demos and see which you like best.  

I think that there is variability in how may active players there are between the tittles.  However I don't think it matters much.  There are several online wargaming clubs and at theBlitz where I find many opponents there is always some one willing to play any of the games.  So I would pick the game theatre you like and not worry about finding opponents because there will be enough.

CMBS is most likely the most complicated of them all, you just have so many things you need to think about before you make your move and even more things that will kill you in a second.

APS, ATGM's, PPHE, Electronic Warfare, Laser Warnings, UAV's, Sam's, ENVG, Amphibious vehicles, ERA, Electro-Optical Jamming...

Edited by Wiggum15

If you are strapped for cash, my 2 cents is to recommend you get CMFI because I think it is more bang for the buck. You have a big range of dates July 1943 to May 1944. And you can kind of fudge to the left and right, portray 1942 Africa/Tunisia/Malta and later in 1944 (Ardennes!). You have all 4 seasons if you get the CMFI Gustav Line module. Lots of countries to work with.

Edited by kohlenklau

The CMBN Big Bundle provided me with a year of fun (and I will probably return to it in the future). I've only just gotten round to buying CMFI/GL which will set me a whole new series of challenges to overcome. The demos for all the games are available on the BFC website. Give 'em a go and find the one you like best. 

Buy CMBN it has lots of mods and scenarios. Then you will be hooked  and will start to liquidate assets to pay for all the other theatres. 

Even by your just posting here spells your doom.

Haha, this is priceless.

CMBN is what I started with. It's awesome. And it's not all hedgerow maps. If you like Germans fighting western allies, I can't think of a more complete package. :)

If you haven't read it yet, you should check out this recent thread:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119021-black-sea-or-older-cm-game/

Be advised that the CMBN demo is version 1.10, which is totally outdated compared to the current upgraded game--version, 3.11. The CMFI demo is also dated I believe, but not as much.

If you get the upgrades, your CMBN or CMFI game engine will have parity with CMRT and CMBS. You just need to make sure to read the details when choosing what to buy. Bundles are the best deal.

If you are an infantry guy and a new player, CMBN may be the better choice, as all the featured nationalities have ranged infantry AT weapons like bazookas. Also, the maps tend to have less open terrain, which helps the infantry when tanks are around. Having said that, CMFI gets tons of compliments on its scenarios and maps and some people are surprised to find that they like it the best in the series.

Overall, I'd say that if you have the cash, get the CMBN big bundle. It's the best deal for the amount of stuff you're getting and has the largest variety of units, weaponry and content.

While you are deciding, you may want to give the CMRT demo a go. It uses the latest (aside from patches?) version of the game engine for WWII. It's awesome as well, though Soviet infantry lacks ranged AT weapons beyond AT rifles good only versus very light armor.

Here is the CMRT demo link:

Red Thunder demo

Edited by Macisle

ident,

Welcome aboard!  

May we call you "Squawk" to complete the phrase? Couldn't resist! We've just come off a lengthy discussion of your question over on CMBS. This is the thread. The CMBN Demo is prehistoric, in CMx2 terms, and it bears very little relationship at all to 3.11, which is the most complete version of CMBN available to us. Emphatically suggest you make no decision about CMBN based on that fossil. Instead, recommend you look at feature lists for 2.0 and 3.0 at BFC.com (also in my posts at link) and vids showing the game under 3.0.

CW 

Bloody Bill trains the next generation of CM gamers!

Regards,

John Kettler