CMBS Shadow of the Motherland Campaign

Thanks Euri for the input and suggestions. I tried some different things when putting that mission together including having the attackers attack in groups but it seemed they just weren't strong enough to make much headway. So I just had them do a full out assault to at least make it a fast and furious affair. But I agree it is one of the easier battles in the campaign. Let me know what you think of the rest of the campaign.

Actually I have a comment on mission 5: 

Possible SPOILER WARNING....

Why did all Russians go there? Was this by design or a glitch in AI pan? Why deprive us of the fun of a MOUT night advance witout night googles on such a nice map? 

Apparently mission 5 is glitched probably from where it was corrupted ( see earlier post).  I am on vacation so cannot check it until later in the week. If anyone else is at that point try a ceasefire and see if it will let you advance to mission 6 and let me know if it is glitches also. Sorry for this guys, this is really frustrating as I wanted this to be right. The file corruption must have really screwed things up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kv03skb2c180a4/Shadow%20of%20the%20Motherland.zip?dl=0

It appeared that the scenario Thunder Run which is one of the Command Decision missions was bugged from the previous file corruption and I missed it. There was a move order that should not have been there and hopefully I have corrected it. Above is the link to the corrected Campaign file. Sorry about that guys it just slipped by me. I spot checked the rest of the missions and they appear ok but let me know if there are any more issues.

Just started off the link from above so hopefully this works the way you intended.

on first mission at 43:00 mark.  Seems the chances of a peaceful resolution to the situation in this village is a no go.  Am in the midst of a very heavy firefight.  Have taken a few casualties but have achieved fire superiority and am eliminating the enemy positions one by one.  The Gov't center seems well defended so I am trying to flank it by taking the north and south districts before assaulting.  Capt. Koval out.

Nice scenario and premise.

1st mission on Iron.

Spoiler:

Nice map and I love this setup :)

Too many Russians imo. Normally it would be a 3 to 1 ratio for the attacker. But in CM it could be 3 to 2 ratio. Since the Russians are located in 10 plus buildings it’s not doable to destroy them one by one. And supress all buildings. The BMP helps a lot but is not enough.

My advice; Ads some mortars(with smoke) and swap the MTLB for another BMP. Reduce the Russians with at least 33 %.

1st mission on Iron.

Spoiler:

Nice map and I love this setup :)

Too many Russians imo. Normally it would be a 3 to 1 ratio for the attacker. But in CM it could be 3 to 2 ratio. Since the Russians are located in 10 plus buildings it’s not doable to destroy them one by one. And supress all buildings. The BMP helps a lot but is not enough.

My advice; Ads some mortars(with smoke) and swap the MTLB for another BMP. Reduce the Russians with at least 33 %.

I am still making my way forward, but yeah those bad guys keep poppin up in nice keyhole locations.  The BMP does a nice job of decimating those positions once you get a little suppression on them, but it is risky.  One guy unsuppressed with an RPG is gonna ruin my day.

The BMP smoke is pretty useful and it doesn't need to be exposed to use it.

Edited by sburke

Thanks guys for the comments. I wanted to create a situation of uncertainty where Intel on the enemy disposition was limited due to the local police force being shot up. I kept the armor capability down to follow the storyline and to create a primarily infantry action instead of the usual tank fest.

• 3 weeks later...