More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

Bees are now simulated in bee suitable enviorments.

Bee TAC AI has been boosted to manifest the inherent danger of bees, and bees can now mount vehicles.

Posts like these make me glad you hang around here.  ^_^

At first I was in favor of a Module for the Bulge with CMBN. But after thinking about the hoops you have to jump through with each addition a new stand alone game is probably better. Just enter one serial code and be done and ready to play.

A great book from the German side is..

Seven Days in January

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Days-January-Mountain-Operation/dp/0966638956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427983970&sr=8-1&keywords=seven+days+in+January

Operation Nordwind kicked off on the Western front in late December and ended in late January.  It took place in the Vosges mountains of France and IMO was far more interesting than the Bulge. 

I wasn't aware Gebirgsjaegers were in the Bulge OOB. Looking forward to trying them out in CMX2 for the first time. 

The Gebirgsjäger of late 1944 and 1945 had little to do with "Gebirge" anyway, just like the late war Fallschirmjäger Divisions.

Features:

Bulge will use Engine 3.0 for CMx2, which is the same engine version used for Red Thunder and Black Sea. All applicable new features from those titles will be rolled together into Bulge. That includes mounted vehicle mortars on-map and... tank riders for American/German vehicles are in!

Tank Riders and mounted vehicle mortars are new features for the Western front. Black Sea also has amphibious vehicles because it's needed to allow for legitimate Russian tactical use. I, like Mord, would be surprised if they didn't add stuff that really needs to be added to make a legitimate Bulge game.  

Bulge will be a new game family. Look what they added for Italy, then what they added for RT. Each of those game families had additions that were necessary to create the flavor of those theaters. I can't for the life of me believe they won't do the same for the Bulge.

Gotta love pointless speculation, mine included. It does kill time, but that's about it.

Transplanting from the split topic of lockedness as I feel it's on topic and worthwhile:

I'm excited for the later model Shermans.  I've always liked the M4A3E8s.  My first "tank" was a micromachines one of them, and I've always had an attachment for them.  The promise of some of the late war M26s is cool too because it opens the door to some very light alternate history moments, and lets all of us tanknerds play out clash of the titans that sort of goes with that all.  Same with the Comet.

The very ad-hoc nature of all late war formations also promises for some interesting force mixes, which opens the door to so many scenarios.  It's one of the reasons I prefer the late war stuff over the Normandy invasion, because while the Germans were beaten several ways to sunday on a strategic and perhaps even operational level, there's still lots of room for good battles, and the sheer volume of stuff, from high capability late war equipment, to desperate improvised equipment, to stuff that just refuses to die (see the occasional Duplex Drive tank still lurking into 1945, or the M4A1 with mounts for cullins prongs on VE Day) just provides a wealth to draw on.  Not to mention it's an interesting point where the American Army has matured and oddly enough has many of the "veteran" units on the western front, while the German forces are much more a mix of the very experienced (but often wore out) with significant newb forces.

Again Normandy is cool and all, as is Market Garden.  But I feel like we've visited them all several times over, while the last "good" Bulge game I played was Close Combat 4, and I cannot recall any very late war western front games in recent memories.  

Question: Will there be bridge demolition?  This would be pretty cool given how central blown bridges were to the Bulge, and later Bridge at Remagen scenarios.  Perhaps it could work similar to how the IEDs did for CMSF, and be used for just general purpose booby traps.

Also maybe some more of the improvised obstacles?  Having some of these sorts of items as "MTOE" to engineer units might also give those forces a better reason to exist in the game while representing their real life utility better.

Yeah, after being caught up in CMBS since it came out, I played and little CMBN and CMRT this week. It was like flipping a switch and now I'm totally back in WWII mode.

I'm looking very forward to the new family!

It's really cool being able to flow back and forth depending on what your interests dictate at any moment. Between CM and Total War I have just about all my historical warfare/history interests covered...all that's really missing for me now is Nam and Korea. I think this is the best time I've ever seen in PC wargaming. I really dig having all these choices. I've said it many, many times but it's really cool being able to read a book, or watch a documentary and then jump straight into a game and interact with the subject matter so intimately.

Although CM and Total War are completely different games, I am finding TW scratches the same itch Combat Mission does. I didn't think I'd like TW (only ever played Shogun I) but I am really taken with it. I have managed to pick up Rome II, Shogun II, Medieval II, Empires and Napoleon (with all the DLCs) since December through 75% off sales. TW fills in the gaps CM couldn't, and now thanks to both, I am in history heaven.

As an example of what I was saying in the first paragraph, I was watching Turned on Netflix the other day, so I decided to start a game of Empires (using Darth Mod). I picked Britain for my campaign so I could eventually act out the Revolution. Last night the Huron and Iroquois declared war on me. A massive force of Huron ended up over running a small trading post I had on the Hudson Bay (my only British foothold on the continent at the moment). They killed everyone to the last man. I already had a ship with troops inbound, figuring the Indians would be attacking there, and wanted to bolster the defenses but it was too late. When my guys landed they tried besieging the captured post but the Huron counter attacked. When it was all over 54 out of 500+ of the Crown's men were all that remained. The survivors ended up fleeing north west along the bay, deeper into the wilds, in the middle of winter. A couple turns later France declared war on me after I attacked the Cherokee. Thus began my version of the French Indian War.

THAT is why I love these games! CM and TW both draw you in (albeit in different ways), involve you, surround you with their history and provide the vehicle to tell your own stories. And for me, in particular, that is the main draw. It really doesn't get much better than that. And the Bulge will be one more setting to add to the mix—one more stage to showcase the drama.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Also maybe some more of the improvised obstacles?  Having some of these sorts of items as "MTOE" to engineer units might also give those forces a better reason to exist in the game while representing their real life utility better.

I can't speak for improvised but I think it's high time we see some Dragon's Teeth. Which, if included, will be a first for any CM game. They'd definitely be something for the engineers to tackle.

I personally am really hoping they can improve fog. It's pretty bad as it stands. The extreme setting isn't even visually as thick as CMX1's light setting.

Mord.