Mortar HTs are crap. Discuss/analyse.

I've been away from the CM community for a long while and hence would appreciate anyone directing me to a profitable discussion of the pros and cons of these things.

My quick appreciation runs thus: mortars are for neutralising AT guns. Mortar HTs gain mobilility and ammo load, but are unacceptably vulnerable to direct fire guns because they cannot use an officer as a spotter.

mortars are for neutralising AT guns
Among many other things

Mortar HTs gain mobilility and ammo load, but are unacceptably vulnerable to direct fire guns because they cannot use an officer as a spotter.

Correct, and I agree with you. This has been fixed in CMBB and CMAK, but is still (and always will be) a limitation in CMBO. However, there are many other targets that a mortar HT can deal with.

As with tanks and other armored vehicles, it is best to neutralize the enemy's AT assets first before rolling them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Pawter,

But you can use an officer to direct indirect fire. On offense or defense set up and officer with a good line of sight. Park those Motar HT's as close as you can to the officer but out of direct line of sight. Behind a building or in a gully, behind trees, etc. They carry a butt load of ammo compared to the leg mortars.

If on the other hand you have to move them out, they are pretty much useless unless you are real carefull with your line of sight as Throwdjohn suggests.

DavidI

• 2 weeks later...

One useful thing you can do with mortar HT which ignores their mobility but takes advantage of their higher ammo load is to use TRPs. Admittedly this only works well on defense, but as long as you don't move the mortar HT, you can target TRPs that are anywhere on the map.