PGM double shots

First of all: Hi to all in here. Always fun to follow your questions and tips even when not playing myself.

As a long time CM1 player but with special interest in modern warfare I had stopped after CMSF, waiting for the next modern version.

As far as I can see right now I'm very pleased with CMBS. After eagerly watching many AARs I'm now trying the Demo myself in that few spare time, comvinced that I'll need the full package soon :D

Just started the first few turns of Rolling Thunder, decided to take the risk and launch my drones early on. There it was, the dreaded Tunguska. Plotted a 155 precision strike, one tube only to conserve the expansive ammo - went off about 30 meters. So in the next turn I plotted another one, this time with 2 tubes. Meanwhile Tunguska had shot it's guns 2 times, obviously missing my drones though. And then: first shot hit right behind it with only minor damage if at all, the next one only 3 seconds later nailed it.

Question from this experience and lots of what I have seen in other AARs: is it advisable to always use doublettes with PGM?

Question from this experience and lots of what I have seen in other AARs: is it advisable to always use doublettes with PGM?

I use 1 at a time with Excals but 2 or 3 at a time with the PGMM. I haven't yet had a chance to use the Russian/Ukrainian equivalents.

I usually use 2-3 rounds (depending on battery size) against AFVs since the chance of a direct hit is something like 50/50. It's a trade off though between how many targets there are that you might want to use PGM rounds against (if you have more than you need, then wasting a few isn't a big deal) vs firing them one at a time and potentially taking 2-3 times as long to get a round on target - if the AFV isn't going anwhere and you can afford to tie up the spotter and battery for several repeat missions until you get a hit.

It's a trade off. in my limited experience, I usually got for a 2-3 round salvo, and haven't yet found myself stuck due to a lack of precision rounds later.

I think there may be a difference in accuracy between 120mm and 155mm PGM rounds too, but not sure about that.

It is very satisfying to combine drones with PGMs and take out enemy vehicles long before they are even in LoS though ;)

Essentially, given the way BFC models arty, I don't think there should be any eventual difference between firing single rounds and firing the same number of rounds in larger groups. Firing them singly has the advantage that if you get lucky earlier, you use fewer rounds because you stop and don't waste. Firing in groups means it takes less time until the group which contains the successful round arrives at ground zero (but you waste the rounds in that last stick that didn't hit the target). So it all depends which pressure is greater: time or ammo conservation. And with either approach you can be lucky or unlucky :)

I was using one guided round on non Main Battle Tanks and three when targeting a MBT.  Now I use two on non MBT targets and three on MBT's.  That pretty much means that MBT's end up at least mission killed and everything else is wrecked.  I find too often you do not get a second chance.

As anyone tried precision strikes in MP? Any success? It seems like a human wouldn't likely leave a valuable AFV asset sitting around stationary for minutes on end with drones circling overhead..

You can't see the enemies' drones, unless I've missed something, somewhere. Anyway, I had modest success in one case, disabling a pair of BMPs with a total of six Grans, but that was playing real-time. I suppose over PBEM dudes might shift their tracks 15-20 meters every turn as a hard counter to American PGMs and a soft counter to RUS/UKR equivalents.

You can't see the enemies' drones, unless I've missed something, somewhere.

Playing against the US it can be safely assumed that drones are in the air. And their presence is often mentioned in scenario briefings. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see this tactic working against any non-comatose human opponent.

Edited by Childress

The amount of PGM howitzer rounds you need to destroy an MBT are quite variable. Sometimes you'll get lucky and knock it out with just the one. Other times you need the whole battery to nail it, and even then you might get _only_ an immobilise for your troubles.

Playing against the US it can be safely assumed that drones are in the air. And their presence is often mentioned in scenario briefings. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see this tactic working against any non-comatose human opponent.

Well sure, in theory. But in theory, dudes shouldn't be getting nailed by non-TRP artillery either...

Granted, I think my opponent may not have been up to speed yet on how PGMs work so YMMV.

So... the role of drones in RL is collecting reconnaissance and enabling air/artillery to take out fixed targets like structures and static defensive positions. Or surprise attacks. Not killing AFVs in fluid battles.