Kieme's Maps

Hi everybody,

a first attempt at map making. 

Kieme's Highway

A few statements to describe this map: 

-Main theme of this map is a highway running east-west with an interesction in the middle going South and two overpass bridges.

-map size is 2000x2000 meters roughly.

-it is practically flat, the main elevation is 19, while depressions go down to 18 (17 in the corners) and up to 21/22/23 in wooded areas, highway is at 20.

-the buildings are mainly of 1 level or 2 levels. Few exceptions for some buildings at 3 or even 4, but these have no Windows and/or unusable rooftops, so there is no key building dominating the map.

-large open areas, with few complexes sorrounded by walls (such as an industrial area, a residential area, some farms).

-wooded areas are small, vehicle passable, slightly elevated and with not too thick trees.

-there are many ditches between fields.

-it has few flavor objects.

-there are no landmarks names.

-this map is made up and does not represent a real world location.

Notes: this map works best with my previous Modular Buildings mod and Modular Buildings Add-on. Moreover, it makes use of the Optional Highway mod (tagged version).

HD terrain mod is best suited but not mandatory.

Map only download: https://app.box.com/s/5xz78s9xrvgbvslcc1cwdhq4p8vi1jv6

Intall: put the .btt file in your game files folder (under documents).

Feel free to use this map for your needs, crop, cut, expand, change whatever you need for your scenarios.

Previews:

29zr6u1.jpg

wtj6na.jpg

2d0dfef.jpg

2u5yz9l.jpg

2u6ofux.jpg

I decided to start with a concept for PvP (player versus player) coming in form of a basic pack where you can find 3 versions (same map, size, etc.), but with different objectives layout. These are intended only for player versus player and contain no AI plans.

A preview and download of such "quick battle pack" is coming within this thread shortly.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

The following pack has 3 quick battle ready maps, based on the one posted above, suited for meeting engagement only (deploy areas in the corners NE/SW).

All versions have the same size and deploy areas but more objectives (small has 1 objective, medium has 3, large has 5). all objectives are of the occupy type (point values in brackets).

It's up to you to decide what version to play with, just keep in mind that the size is the same. For example: if you want to play a small battle with few forces, the small versions with only 1 victory location in the middle would be best suited to avoid dispersion. At the same time, if you play a huge battle with large forces the large version gives you not only that big objective in the middle but 4 more minor objectives around the map, but you might still want to play with just 1 objective, it's up to you.

Important: this quick battle map pack is intended ONLY for player versus player games.

Kieme's Highway PvP quick battle meeting engagement map pack download: https://app.box.com/s/woi7osiofy8tp9j2xer6hpjtrj2t6qyz

Please note: there has been no testing on the balance of victory locations and deploy areas.

Preview of the three versions:

Small battle

2092g5k.jpg

Medium battle

1z4k50z.jpg

Large battle

3481x5v.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Yes the idea of this map is to give very little cover and make a lot of room for manouverings. Given how difficult it is to move infantry in CMBS for long distances without IFV/APCs this could be interesting. Could also be fun with tank-only forces.

As regarding the looks of it I tried to make a modern feeling setting as much as possible. The central victory location is very Tricky as it offers practically no cover all around (but for the bridge on top of it).

I am also looking forward for a test run if anyone wants a PBEM.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Nice map! I'm going to make an attack/defend version.

When looking over your ME version I noticed you had the objective point values in the objective names. Apologies if you are already aware of this, but in QBs the victory point values you assign to objectives are not what they are actually worth. There is a pool of available victory points for objectives and enemy units destroyed and the size of that pool cannot be altered except by changing the battle type. For meeting engagements there are 400 victory points available for terrain objectives and the values you assign to objectives in the editor divvy up those points by comparing the relative values in proportion to each other. So for example, you assigned the central overpass objective 400 pts and each of the other four objectives 100 pts each. In actuality the central objective will be worth 200 pts and each of the others 50 pts.

I have updated the map and the meeting engagement map pack (3 versions) with a new version (older version links not working anymore):

Changelog for Version 2:

-added numerous additional flavor objects (also from my flavor objects add on mods)

-added a few trees in certain areas

-removed a few trees in certain areas

-added a few small elevations in certain areas

-added more passages for light vehicles on the highways

-corrected a problem with some building/wall combination

-changed a bit some buildings

Special thanks to undercovergeek and Marco2marzo for the test battles.

Downloads:

Version 2 map only:

https://app.box.com/s/nsyw1lv9x5ololwgd6zs1ckuhh9976jj

Version 2 PvP meeting engagement (3 versions, see original topic, objectives and deploy areas are the same):

https://app.box.com/s/24is3qdzb2wl5cgj8hmdh8dlk4ixwt41

https://app.box.com/s/s0ybhpx1dqyoxv8fju6loqavvyeh9a39

https://app.box.com/s/4oisr99mtqmu2pygg9aby7lvhq77t4sg

A few screenshots:

15ed154.jpg

2h68y88.jpg

2cgbvcm.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Thanks.

I would like to make a couple of variants for this one, mainly one involving a particular setup where a player has his force on the highway being ambushed on the sides. Formally, an attack vs defense scenario.

On the other hand I started a second map which should depict a urban scene, but map making in general takes a lot of time so it won't be done for long.

Thanks.

I would like to make a couple of variants for this one, mainly one involving a particular setup where a player has his force on the highway being ambushed on the sides. Formally, an attack vs defense scenario.

On the other hand I started a second map which should depict a urban scene, but map making in general takes a lot of time so it won't be done for long.

I can't wait for more of your maps, you have some serious talent mate, the maps and mods master!

Ohhh, a ukrainian ambush of a russian colum on a road! That sounds brutal :D. Just the way i like it. If the map is littered with corpses after a CM game, i know i had fun.

Map making is indeed a laborious process and  i personally recommend you not to work on more than one project at a time - if you work on multiple projects simultaniously, progress might be so slow you get frustrated and end up with several unfinished scenarios instead of one that works. I dont doubt your abilities, i am just speaking from my own experience with scenario design.