Operation Hercules: The Invasion of Malta [WIP]

kohlenklau,

Apologies for misspelling your handle earlier. It occurred to me, while eating a short time ago, that this would be theoretically doable--in CMBB. It has the Italian and the Russian AFVs, most, if not all the forces and such. Also, I believe you'll find the Matilda there as well. Now, it may not look like Malta... ISTR some genius of a scenario designer (in CMx2?) figured out a way to bring forces from one game into another of the same series. It does open up some exciting possibilities. Obviously, you're not about to do this, but I thought I'd mention it.

On a separate note, I got your PM, but I haven't given up on that ambush of King Tigers I told you about.

Regards,

John Kettler 

I am working on the landing force Italians and mjkerner is working on the Folgore and German fallschirmjagers. 

This is gonna be a great Operation. Some really odd ideas have bubbled up out of my brain.

But so far they seem to play out in an enjoyable manner.

One idea I have already put up a screenshot with the "barges" and another is a top secret JU-52 simulation. :D

smod_italian_m38-soldier_uniform%20malta

Edited by kohlenklau

kohlenkau,

Well done with the T-34! Did you copy the vehicle folder or whatever and simply bring it into CMFI? When doing the 'flage job, please don't use this scheme. You might get complaints.  Ref z.v.B.66, here is further detail. There is an embedded link in it to an extensive German language discussion as well, in which you'll find some photos of that unit's tanks.  If you favor instant gratification, here are some excellent pics, 5 pages worth, with such text as there is in English. Not that it matters, but note there are regular T-34s and KV-2s, as well as the German modded ones with the characteristic drum cupola.

Regards,

John Kettler 

kohlenklau,

Sorry about again botching your handle! Your response threw me initially, for I thought, for some reason, it was referring, in some bizarre way, to the truly remarkable paint scheme I sent you. Just now, though, the light went off.  Man, are you quick when it comes to repainting armor! Must've taken many coats to cover the green and build it up so the tank really was Sahara gelb. By way of atonement, here's your handle as part of the markings on a Marder II.

Regards,

John Kettler

kohlenklau,

Interesting pic! Don't recall ever seeing any German tank, of any sort, with a turret rear Balkankreuz. Nor do I ever recall seeing that open chevron before which runs diagonally down from the turret and at the turret base, once there, all the way to the rear. In looking at the pic, my waggish side was going to suggest that if you were in Greece instead, you could leave the tank in whitewash and park it beside one of those gleaming white houses you see on the travel shows, with no aerial observer the wiser. Speaking of aerial observers, apparently, it was common practice for the crews of such captured tanks to paint a large Balkankreuz or even a swastika on the turret roof. Accordingly, I believe you'll find this of interest. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Captured tanks typically had prominent German crosses to avoid any accidents...sometimes gigantic white swastikas as well. and in places for aircraft to see...now, this is Malta and the enemy did not even have any T-34's so any use of these special markings would not be historically accurate AFAIK but it looks cool and then it is easier to upload this for the CMRT guys!

Edited by kohlenklau

kohlenklau,

Interesting pic! Don't recall ever seeing any German tank, of any sort, with a turret rear Balkankreuz. Nor do I ever recall seeing that open chevron before which runs diagonally down from the turret and at the turret base, once there, all the way to the rear. In looking at the pic, my waggish side was going to suggest that if you were in Greece instead, you could leave the tank in whitewash and park it beside one of those gleaming white houses you see on the travel shows, with no aerial observer the wiser. Speaking of aerial observers, apparently, it was common practice for the crews of such captured tanks to paint a large Balkankreuz or even a swastika on the turret roof. Accordingly, I believe you'll find this of interest. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Don't want to be nitpicking John,but I think it's Balkenkreuz.

Regards,

Aleš

Made me some "all sea and all sky" horizons for Malta. The blue of the seas doesn't perfectly match but that is the way the sea is!

Malta%20Horizons_zpsf26ylvid.jpg

OK, shifting gears over to the CMPzC Nyakleves to write the PzC scenario....

<I feel like I am dating 4 girls at once running back and forth between these projects on these several different forums. Luckily I got stamina. Giggety-gee. Giggety-goo. :D>

Ales,

Good catch!  In the process of finding some stuff on the origin of the marking proper, I learned the origin of the name had nothing to do with the Balkans at all. Rather, it is a German term for a reinforcing timber. From World War 2 German Camouflage and Tactical Markings Part 2 on the blog The Armored Patrol. The article has several great Tiger pics I never saw before, plus other goodies.

"In addition to the rhombus, tactical numbers, and unit symbols, the Wehrmacht featured the ubiquitous ‘Balkenkreuz’ (lit. “Bar” or “Beam” Cross, from the shared term “balk”, which is a wooden beam used in reinforcing a structure)."
kohlenklau,

Since you indicated the T-34 was in good working order, that brings to mind a question. Do you as the scenario designer have the ability to start an AFV or other vehicle with damage of your choosing, representing such things as worn transmissions, poorly maintained tracks, not quite right optics and the like? If so, very cool!  Your Malta pic looks utterly unlike any wartime image of Malta I ever saw. Offhand, all I can recall is lots of yellow brown rock, both naturally and in the form of walls and buildings. May've had a lot to do with the season when the films and pics were shot, though. Obviously, too, the Maltese have to eat, and even cacti are green!  Or we could be looking at the Maltese version of a welcome mat. Naturally, the defender wishes the greensward to wind up crimson--with the attacker's blood.

Regards,

John Kettler

I have a Maltese advisor "on staff" and Jozef says his kids try and jump into the monitor it looks that authentic!

I have been to Malta as well and it is very Malty to me.

No, damage is not editable. Just immobilized, burning or destroyed. Or dismounted. When Hans had too much cabbage and farted up the tank?