John Kettler's Omnibus Thread

Everyone,

The purpose of this thread is to provide a central location into which I can put information and the like which I deem significant and worth knowing about, as well as my own observations and opinions, subject to the usual BFC rules, as well as certain request and strictures coming from BFC. In this way, there should be no further thread proliferation and "real post" ranking issues. Other members are, of course, welcome to participate in what I post, but I ask that you be respectful. Argue against the ideas I present; don't attack me. As some may have noted, I have formal requests in to the Mods to kill two separate threads. If they choose to do so, that should further alleviate matters on the CMBS Forum as a whole.

Regards,

John Kettler

This seems entirely unnecessary. Information that deserves its own thread should get its own thread. Information that fits within another topic already being discussed can go into the thread devoted to that topic, information that is not relevant can be not posted.

You know, like every forum ever. 

The reason for this thread is that John's good intentions, prolific reading and general enthusiasm for BFC games has drawn criticism from other forum members who don't share John's degree of wonderment with the world at large.

My opinion is that John should just say something like "Suck it up, princess" in response to the other posters' criticisms, but the apparent level of catharsis it brings him from 'brain dumping' in this forum keeps him wary of being banned or something, and thus on his back foot, and leads him to put too great of a weighting to others' negative opinions.

In summary, keep posting, John! Either in this thread or in the forum at large. Whatever works.

I am one of the ones who complained.  I came in one morning to look for a specific thread.  I found the first six threads started by John and another one only 8-9 down.  One was on emoticons, one was on some issue with sound on youtube, one was on a video of the T-90 which could have easily been just a post in several existing T-90 threads, one was on Grad rockets falling on a city in the Ukraine (which also could gone into an existing thread if it really was relevant), one on Russian field rations, one on a video of the XM25, and another on a training video that no one seems to where it's from, and one legacy one on the A-10 in US service.

So maybe 2 you could say were relevant.  Three are clearly not relevant, and a couple could have been just part of existing threads.  I have seen his behavior in other threads and the pattern is to spam the forum with so much stuff that finding anything useful about the actual game becomes difficult.  I don't mind the thread here and there about equipment or units in real life, but I have seen where this ends up.  I was just trying to point out that it would be nice to have the game forum have the majority of the posts about the actual game.

There is a general forum.  There are forums all over the web for this stuff.  I initially asked nicely to back off of some of that stuff.

A reason why he's been running amok posting here is that he's desperate to prove himself as somekind of world renowned expert (with super secret sources ;) ) from his bedsit assisted with a wonky mac and google. As he's been linking from his own woo website to threads here on the battlefront forum so he gets some relected glory from this site's good web reputation to enhance his own and uses them as backing for his super secret Kettlerlian conspiracy theories.  JK is simply a bore.

I think we are most likely his only connection to the world, and he need us to fill the void of his existence. Try to show some restraint, because we'll be on the same boat one day... 

I think this might not be an unfair assessment.  Or at the least, failing that this is something that brings a strange, but generally inoffensive dude some sort of happiness.

This thread wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.  It'd be sort of like Coast to Coast, in that yeah it's sort of a marginal place of sometimes dubious statements, but you have to tune in to encounter it, and it keeps the rest of the airwaves a bit more grounded.  

Addendum:

However a Kettler coast to coast thread would be better off in general discussion.  

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer

I think we are most likely his only connection to the world, and he need us to fill the void of his existence. Try to show some restraint, because we'll be on the same boat one day...

Wow. I've done a few laps around the Internet in my day, but this may well be the most insulting backhanded comment I've ever seen someone make. That's harsh.

Yeah, I am passing no personal judgement...frankly, I don't care.  I just don't want this to become how the CMSF forum became several years ago.  Every other thread was a video on some piece of equipment or some obscure website.  It became almost impossible to find threads on game topics.  I see this forum heading the same way.

Edited by Thewood1

I have many long nights in which being on here is pretty much all I can do. This is a kind of refuge for me, notably when I'm in no shape to play CM.

Wow. I've done a few laps around the Internet in my day, but this may well be the most insulting backhanded comment I've ever seen someone make. That's harsh.

Life is harsh, specially if you're old, alone and feeling rejected by the very people you like to talk with...