Speculation: Traffic Cops?

I wonder if it would be feasible, or even desirable, to introduce military police into CM. The way I imagine them functioning would be if you placed them at bottlenecks where vehicular congestion happens with maddening regularity, the snarls would work out much faster and traffic would flow more smoothly. I can't estimate how much programming effort would be involved in implementing this feature, but I am confident that it would make a lot of gamers happy.

Michael

Sounds like checkpoints near Spa where they ask "Who won the World Series?" or "Who is Betty Grable's husband?"

Keeping an eye for Skorzeny's Greif Commandoes.

Could the Fog of War subsroutine be tweaked to somehow allow a temporary passage of a jeep full of those guys through US lines?

The FOW disguise stays in place if they hit green troops. But if they hit a veteran, or stay too long around green, then it goes to being seen as axis.

Just dreaming out loud!

I think realistically that we will get another standard CM family with Bulge. Good quality with snow, Waffen-SS, a bunch of cool vehicles, tank riders. But I doubt if we will see anything new. 

They are apparently even holding Fallschirmjagers to be in a module. I really hope they don't do that. It seems like half a product to me. CM Bulge should have the whole shebang. Waffen-SS, Heer and FJ.

I think it would be more desirable and realistic to have medics as close to the action as we have in a Combat Mission game than MPs and there's a long list of things I'd like to see before medics (and I'm not sure I really do). Bottlenecks do frustrate me though but they happen in real life.

K, I too seem to recall Steve saying Fallschirmjaegers would be in a Bulge module. I'm thinking the reason may be is that December '44 FSJs are different than Sept '44 FSJs so they have to work out the TO&E which Steve says isn't that simple.

I think the way they handle snow in the Bulge Family will be greatly expanded than what we saw in Fortress Italy so that will be something new. Perhaps vehicles will leave tracks.

Just one more day and our St Paddy's day bone opportunity will have passed.

For any putative MP unit to smooth out traffic snarls, the "convoy movement" algorithms would have to be developed significantly. And if they're fully developed, the need for MPs to actually be there on-map goes away. MPs shouldn't really be directing traffic in the places where a snarl can kill vehicles, though.

If you're asking for slightly better vehicle AI, then, yes, we all want that.

If you're actually asking for MP traffic controllers, that seems like something that would be happening a few miles behind the battle we're actually fighting.  It's outside the scope of a tactical battle simulator.

If you're actually asking for MP traffic controllers, that seems like something that would be happening a few miles behind the battle we're actually fighting.  It's outside the scope of a tactical battle simulator.

Yeah, you're right. 'Twas just a passing fancy.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

For any putative MP unit to smooth out traffic snarls, the "convoy movement" algorithms would have to be developed significantly. And if they're fully developed, the need for MPs to actually be there on-map goes away. MPs shouldn't really be directing traffic in the places where a snarl can kill vehicles, though.

"All" we would need is this!!!