Russian ice tank sculptures.

• 2 weeks later...

Capt. Ayers,

"Incredible" doesn't even come close to my reaction in seeing these.Many thanks! Do you have any links showing a build or builds in progress, better yet, a vid? Am particularly interested in the engineering on the super complex IS-3, especially the barrel. I found some more pics of ice tanks, many of which are way way below the standard of the IS-3. Pics 2 and 4 look like someone's notions of WW II armor, rather than being based on the real things. I find myself torn regarding which is cooler (had to get that in) ice tanks from the original series or the Fokker DR.I Dreidecker apparel?

Regards,

John Kettler

BLSTK,

It's late, and I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say to me. In any event, I have a friend who's an extremely talented artist, and he practically lost his mind when he saw several of the tanks. Couldn't believe the incredible sights he was seeing. And the mere notion of taking on a project like that. Further, he though GPW veterans would've been set back on their heels by seeing the Panzers in their own capital. To my mind, though the scale's obviously much bigge,in terms of complexity it's easier to build an ice hotel than to carve out something as intricate as a tank.

Regards,

John Kettler