Apparently, Stratfor got their copy of CMBS

Alexey K

Alexey K,

Confound it! You've just revealed BFC's deep black CMBSOS. Combat Mission Black Sea: Operational-Strategic. Stratfor paid a fortune for it on a private commission to BFC, but with a secrecy clause, and now Steve is going to have to return his yacht and Charles is no longer going to have that exquisite Waterford crystal brain jar he's just gotten used to. But fear not, Wikileaks will soon have all the juicy details for us. Look what happened the last time it looked into Stratfor.  The link is real. Shall have to read the Stratfor gaming article. Looks pretty interesting.

Regards,

John Kettler

The whole point of the 'rebel uprising', in my opinion, was for Putin to secure a land corridor to Crimea's west after the annexation. Slavic independence? Yeh right, more like the rail line that runs from Rostov-on-Don to Dzankhoi. Keeping Crimea supplied without that rail link is an expensive proposition. Last April they were past Mariupol and heading south to make the link-up. Today, not so much. Debaltseve was just a costly side-show. They may have pinched the pocket closed (with Merkel's help) but they're not a yard closer to having uncontested possession of the rail corridor.

Edited by MikeyD

The whole point of the 'rebel uprising', in my opinion, was for Putin to secure a land corridor to Crimea's west after the annexation. Slavic independence? Yeh right, more like the rail line that runs from Rostov-on-Don to Dzankhoi. Keeping Crimea supplied without that rail link is an expensive proposition. Last April they were past Mariupol and heading south to make the link-up. Today, not so much. Debaltseve was just a costly side-show. They may have pinched the pocket closed (with Merkel's help) but they're not a yard closer to having uncontested possession of the rail corridor.

I wanted to comment on this, but then decided not to, as right point of view is fixed in forum rules :)

A very interesting article Alexey. In the event of a fully fledged invasion of Ukraine and a clash with NATO as depicted in CMBS do you see Russia attemting to pusue additional foreign policy goals incluing in particular an attempt to occupy the Baltic States which would threaen Poland and NATO supply lines through ht country?

This would require troops from Western Military District

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Military_District

I assume Southern Miltary District would be taskd with the Ukraine operation itself 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Military_District

Central Military District operates as a reserve

I wanted to comment on this, but then decided not to, as right point of view is fixed in forum rules :)

I think it would be ok to comment if you avoid politics and discuss military strategy only. I agree that for Russia securing the labd corridor to Crimea makes sense. However, Moscow may well also wish to secure Kharkov due to the city's historical and strategic importance. In that case the bigger offensive operation would be needed if only to gaurd the northern flank and pin down or destroy Ukranian units. Severely damagingthe Ukranian army would be something Moscow would want to achieve.