Question; Do tanks have a morale impact on infantry?

Very good question. I think JoMc67 is correct but it would be a great enhancement to the simulation. I also think it would be very difficult thing to implement correctly, there are so many factors. For instance, a lone infantry platoon that suddenly sees 4 Panther tanks would certainly feel a little nervous. But a battalion of infantry with armor or lots of AT guns, not so much. Availability of cover will also play a part. Infantry caught in the open might suddenly freak out at the site of armor but vegetation and buildings provide a sense of survivability. Quality of troops would be an obvious factor as well.

As Pak40 says, context is everything for this sort of morale hit. And your poor bloody pTruppen just don't have any concept of context. When they do, it might be fair enough to have them quail in the face of superior armour. It's certainly an important aspect of the interaction, for the period.

Pak40 and womble are right. Furthermore, by this stage of the war, infantry had access to a lot of more or less effective AT weaponry, so "tank fright" was much less of an issue. Earlier on however, say during the first two years of the war it was a very significant factor and one that I expect BFC is going to have to confront when CM begins to include those years.

Michael

Very good question. I think JoMc67 is correct but it would be a great enhancement to the simulation. I also think it would be very difficult thing to implement correctly, there are so many factors. For instance, a lone infantry platoon that suddenly sees 4 Panther tanks would certainly feel a little nervous. But a battalion of infantry with armor or lots of AT guns, not so much. Availability of cover will also play a part. Infantry caught in the open might suddenly freak out at the site of armor but vegetation and buildings provide a sense of survivability. Quality of troops would be an obvious factor as well.

The amount of morale degradation they suffer once those four Panthers start killing them should suffice as an abstraction.