Has a Plane ever been shot down?

Im starting to think this needs to be tweaked .I set up a test.I bought 1 Flak battery, consisting of 12 guns, 6 37mm, 6 20mm , some were quad guns.Bought 1 p47 with rockets and straffing.

result was 6 of the 12 flaks completely destroyed, the p47, not a scratch, flying around with impunity, some how none of the thousands of rounds coming at it had any effect, not even to ward it off, let alone damage it

I don't think this is modeled correctly, I believe most pilots would avoid that area.I think 1 or 2 flaks would have an impact, this was 12 flak guns

any thoughts?

I conducted my own test. Map was 512x512 flat sand terrain.

12 aircraft (one of each type) called in succession against a heavily fortified position with (16) 40mm Bofors (10) Quad .50cal (8) M16 AA HT (8) M15 AA HT and (2) Crusader AA Tanks.

All experience was regular, with no modifiers.

Three strafing aircraft were shot down very quickly, making only one successful run each before being shot down on the second run. The first run with a bomb aircraft, while being shot down, delivered his bombs on target. This ended up shattering the anti aircraft defense, and successive attacks by aircraft finished cleaning it up. No further aircraft were shot down.

I took away a few lessons from this test. The first being the importance of dispersion of AA weapons. You want your guns spread far enough apart that bombs hitting one won't knock out any more. Secondly, make sure your AA weapons have very good visibility, in all directions. Third, aircraft equipped with heavy weapons will get their rounds on target regardless of AA defense. Especially rocket-equipped aircraft, will release their weapons before most guns have finished turning to track the target.

Basically, don't rely on AA guns to put up an invisible shield over your troops. They offer a minimum level of protection at best, and will only be successful at shooting down multiple aircraft when massed in large numbers.

Remember, aircraft are not modeled the same as they used to be in CMx1. In CMx1 aircraft were simply a structure in the sky, that would attack continuously until it reached a certain magic amount of damage and be destroyed, or flee.

In CMx2, AA weapons do not seem to do direct damage to aircraft rather, they have some kind of "die roll" chance to damage, or drive off the aircraft.

That's all I have.

Would you mind doing one more test of the same flavor? (I am at work).

If you say yes, see if you can make the plane a unit objective? If the allies shoot it down, then they win the scenario and the next scenario in this "campaign" could be made using juju's new discarded parachute mod. Pilot gets shot down and parachutes in and security troops go to round him up. :D Pilot could be vehicle crew on 50% manning with severe ammo. If lucky he just has a Luger.

....mostly I am joking but the mod is new and should be officially released fairly soon.

If you say yes, see if you can make the plane a unit objective? If the allies shoot it down, then they win the scenario and the next scenario in this "campaign" could be made using juju's new discarded parachute mod. Pilot gets shot down and parachutes in and security troops go to round him up. :D Pilot could be vehicle crew on 50% manning with severe ammo. If lucky he just has a Luger.

....mostly I am joking but the mod is new and should be officially released fairly soon.

I'll give it a shot.

The latest CMBS patch (I think) introduced text saying 'target destroyed' or something like that when an AA unit nails an aircraft. I assume eventually there will be a catch-up general game engine patch for the other titles after the last of the CMBS issues get nailed down.

The latest CMBS patch (I think) introduced text saying 'target destroyed' or something like that when an AA unit nails an aircraft. I assume eventually there will be a catch-up general game engine patch for the other titles after the last of the CMBS issues get nailed down.

I got that message in CMFI, before CMBS was released, and CMFI hasn't been patched for a long time. "Shot down" IIRC.