Have AT Guns become deadlier

The Russian AT guns in Gog & Magog are kicking my heavy weapons platoon(s) butt.  I have like tried to get 3 or more HMG's (~600m) and a gun (76mm Zis-3) was taking them out as soon as they opened fire.  I then stop firing hide and the guns lose the MG's.  Then go to using the arty and that seems to have lost its flavor since the patch as well.

I am going to play over some old CMBN's see if I have similar results.

Just my observations - not a complaint.

The Russian AT guns in Gog & Magog are kicking my heavy weapons platoon(s) butt.  I have like tried to get 3 or more HMG's (~600m) and a gun (76mm Zis-3) was taking them out as soon as they opened fire.  I then stop firing hide and the guns lose the MG's.  Then go to using the arty and that seems to have lost its flavor since the patch as well.

I am going to play over some old CMBN's see if I have similar results.

Just my observations - not a complaint.

Seems like you're just having a spot of bad luck, although my latest run-through isn't going much better.

Engaging ATGs frontally with HMGS at such ranges, even its 4 HMGs  at the same time against only one ATG (which I doubt since I know this scenario) strikes me as a pretty bad idea. I wouldn't be suprised by that outcome. Either flank them and shoot from short ranges (no more than 250m) or use indirect fire or tanks which can withstand hits from these particular ATGs

I think you misunderstood Rokko here: what he said was that he doubts that there is only one 76mm gun in the at-position. And it is in fact a scenario.

A mg-platoon is the wrong tool to deal with an enemy at-gun position, even if its only one gun. Especially at that range. Best is stuff the guns cant fight themselves, like artillery, onboard mortars or tanks firing from stand off range. Area or indirect fire. Suppress the guns thoroughly, than move in with armor( area firing all the way untill they are almost right on top of them) and finish them off, then bring up infantry to deal with the surviving crews.

Artillery is still very powerful in the game, it just does not outright annihilate things, like the modern does.

Edit: btw there used to be a video about this particular scenario on you tube. Maybe take a look how he worked this position

Edited by SlowLarry

Mortars or arty are the only way to deal with AT guns in the game.Even with infantry close up to AT guns,it can take a few turns before the crew are disposed of.I don't know about AT guns being a bit more deadly but i think everything is a bit more brutal with the game engine now,especially infantry fire fights.It's excellent.

Their are a lot of ways to deal with anti-tank guns. You just need to accept that they're not like how many other video games portray them as being automatically weak to everything but tanks via some convoluted rock-paper-scissors mechanic. An anti-tank gun is a serious, and deadly piece of heavy weaponry and should be approached as such. It's a tank's gun just minus the tank. 

Edited by CaptHawkeye

This was a observation - I used the one instance to pose the question.  I am playing from the same save and doing different things to try out different tactics.

The question was in general - has anyone noticed the AT accuracy being deadlier than before this last patch.  In that same situation tho I have 4 Tigers and they have been shot at and missed - restart the save and open fire with 4 HMG's in forest 1-2 squares back from 550-350m spaced out and they open fire and get hit first time fired upon.  Infantry close to the other units in question have had the same result from being fired on from the AT guns after moving.  CMFI in a GL sce I had same results from German AT guns.  Going to do a CMBN to see if the same thing happens.

Now before patch I have used AT guns and fought against AT guns with bad results against any infantry units.  HMG's (not really using it for taking out the AT's) are effective at suppression to bring up small mortar or a spotter.   

I know from the last patch.. that HE rounds are better at Killing as the radius effect has been modified a little I believe.   I have played this scenario 6 times.. the first two got my arse handed to me nicely.  To go up against any of the ATG's.. or PAK Fronts.. is a dangerous thing unless you have them suppressed.  They have great visibility to see your troops and of course approaching armor.  Unless you can suppress them you will get basically murdered.  Smoke screens can help.

But to answer are they more deadly?  I don't think so, as I believe only the HE was improved upon.. but that was for all HE, artillery AT, etc.   The Zis 57mm is nasty.. I believe its either this weapon or the 76mm has canister shot.. which can effectively eviscerate your infantry at close range.