S&S1: The Boys are Back in Town (new SP scenario)

Here is a new 90-minute, SP-only scenario for everyone (human player must be the Attacker):

S&S1: The Boys are Back in Town (version 1 file removed)

S&S1: The Boys are Back in Town V2 (version 2, 03/14)

You command a reinforced Ukrainian mechanized (BTR-70) company, fighting to take back a town from Separatist irregulars with Russian regulars on call as their lifeline. The download includes a tagged copy of Blimey's excellent Separatist mod, which will work with the scenario (readme file included).

Here is the map:

16558553879_5d67945766_b.jpg

This is the first offering in a series I’m calling Spit & Sawdust. S&S scenarios will use existing QB maps as a base, will not include briefing graphics, and will receive only minimal testing. The goal of the series is to give players reinforced-company-sized SP battles that are significantly better than standard SP QBs, while cutting production-time corners by dropping the normal scenario graphical packaging and thorough testing. S&S scenarios seek to be “good enough” rather than attempting to be a work of art.

I’m not sure how often I’ll be able to make them, but going with this concept offers a much better chance of getting more scenarios out to the community than the standard approach.

Anyway, my best to all and I hope you have fun!

Edited by Macisle

I thought I was being rather stealthy with my initial recon but they got mauled real quick, as soon as my first platoon arrived I hurried them into some buildings and a long violent firefight broke out, enemy RPG's were pounding the crap out of my men. I'm going to restart the game tonight, I have devised a new plan. Really fun scenario Macisle, I hope you create more of them, thanks for sharing.

***Spoiler***

Good job, I enjoyed playing this.

: Only problem were the Russian reinforcements. The map is bit too small for any off map troops. One of my platoons was maneuvering to flank the enemy. The Russians spawned in the middle of this platoon and got massacred.

Thanks!

Were you flanking into the enemy setup zone (down the reverse slope of the enemy edge)? The Russians spawn in that area, the entering of which, is kinda' like dropping arty into your opponent's setup zone. After that, they zoom in, with the tank providing initial overwatch. I tested having almost the entire player's force in the AI's backfield when the Russians arrive and the blue force lost a big chunk, though the Russians were decimated.

I'll see what feedback comes and maybe tweak this. I want to have the Russians arrive from off map, so I may need to make it so that engaging the Russians as they offload is a losing proposition for the player. That should be pretty easy to do without having the player overwhelmed later.

Edited by Macisle

I did not enter the "setup zone". My troops were in the buildings on the east side of the city preparing to storm. They also over watched the fields where the Russians arrived.

Okay, thanks. The way you phrased it earlier sounded like you were right on their spawn point.

I'm working on ways to protect the reinforcements as they arrive.

Had a brief go of it and it was fun, although I did not play to the end of the scenario.

I noticed that some of the tagged mod files had both a [digital] and [separitistinfantry] tag. Have you done any experiments to see what effect this has? Does one tag override the other?

I will ask Blimey for permission to use these same files for my own upcoming separatists scenario and will use the same tag "separatistinfantry" in the scenario so it does not clash with yours. It's playable now but I want to tweak it to perfection before releasing it - maybe add some more AI plans and make it playable as both sides.

I did the [separitistinfantry] tags on those myself. I can't remember the exact testing I did, but IIRC, I think they need both [digital] and [separitistinfantry] tags to work. The [digital] tag identifies that set of textures to be used when you choose it in the Unit Purchase appearance options and the [separatistinfantry] tag identifies that the digital uniforms should actually be replaced by the [separitistinfantry] tagged textures.

BTW, why did you leave off on finishing the scenario? Was there something you didn't like?

[spoilerS]

I liked that battle very much. In the start there was no hellish bullet inferno, but enough to keep the mood up. I liked it. The is was very well made. I went through the forest with all of my units, including reinforcements. I don´t know did it make the battle little easier, because I had all the time upper hand. Maybe that´s why I succeeded, because my vechiles were welcoming them right in the start. It was hellish can opening festival for about a minute. I got the tank out with two missiles.

CM_Black_Sea_2015_03_11_23_43_23_49.jpg

Great battle, thanks!

BTW, why did you leave off on finishing the scenario? Was there something you didn't like?

Not at all. I am just spending a lot of time designing a scenario of my own which will also use the insurgents mod by Blimey.

One tip by the way (and it's a minor one). If you had purchased the Russians before the Ukrainians for the Separatists side, the "pick side" screen would have shown the normal Blue vs Red icons instead of Blue vs Blue. This works even if the Russians are reinforcements, and even of they will never arrive.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

[spoilerS]

I liked that battle very much. In the start there was no hellish bullet inferno, but enough to keep the mood up. I liked it. The is was very well made. I went through the forest with all of my units, including reinforcements. I don´t know did it make the battle little easier, because I had all the time upper hand. Maybe that´s why I succeeded, because my vechiles were welcoming them right in the start. It was hellish can opening festival for about a minute. I got the tank out with two missiles.

CM_Black_Sea_2015_03_11_23_43_23_49.jpg

Great battle, thanks!

Thanks, Reiter! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. When I playtested it solo, I really got into the street fighting and didn't try to flank with lots of vehicles. So, I probably underestimated the number of folks who are going to put a lot of muscle there early--before the reinforcements currently arrive.

I'm putting the finishing touches on an updated version that should eliminate the problem that The_MonkeyKing encountered and also make the flanks a lot more solid. The force mix won't be hugely different, but the AI plan should be much better/more challenging. I'm looking to post it in this thread for Friday evening/weekend carnage.

Not at all. I am just spending a lot of time designing a scenario of my own which will also use the insurgents mod by Blimey.

One tip by the way (and it's a minor one). If you had purchased the Russians before the Ukrainians for the Separatists side, the "pick side" screen would have shown the normal Blue vs Red icons instead of Blue vs Blue. This works even if the Russians are reinforcements, and even of they will never arrive.

Thanks for the great tip! That was really annoying me. I would like to see the system reflect whatever the final mission setting is, rather than revolve around the initial force pick. I'll be sure to use the tip you just gave me going forward.

I thought I was being rather stealthy with my initial recon but they got mauled real quick, as soon as my first platoon arrived I hurried them into some buildings and a long violent firefight broke out, enemy RPG's were pounding the crap out of my men. I'm going to restart the game tonight, I have devised a new plan. Really fun scenario Macisle, I hope you create more of them, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Takoda!

I'm really glad you are having fun with it. One of my goals in making it was to provide ripe opportunities for extended small arms firefights.

I don't know how often I'll be able to get them out, but I have a growing list of ideas.

• 1 month later...