Rossmann at Kodersdorf 19 April '45

This is my first public release of a scenario.  It features a Fallschirmpanzer Division 1 HG counterattack at the end of the war against the 2nd Armored Brigade of the Soviet backed Polish 16th Armored Corps (Polish 2nd Army).  In reality, Major Rossman, the commander of I. Abteilung/Fallschirmpanzer-Regiment 'HG' took the remaining 17 Panthers in the division into an ambush position along a river in Silesia near the town of Kodersdorf, on the Weißer Schöpps River.  Those 17 Panthers destroyed an entire Polish Armored Brigade and an attached IS2 Heavy Tank Company without a single loss.  I included some of the infantry fighting in the area at that time as well to develop the tactical situation.  

The scenario uses modern US tactical language and doctrine for tactical orders.  In contrast, the tactical map, is an actual German 1:25,000 scale topographic map of the area from the 1930s.  The German tactical map uses Wehrmacht late-war map symbols drawn on the map in effect to look like grease pencils.  The Polish tactical map uses period Soviet map symbols (red symbols = friendly as well).

This scenario is historical and uses sources largely gathered from the internet.  I created the map with a Google-maps overlay of the modern area, with some interpretation from the 1:25,000 map, and period photos.  

I have play tested as both sides, it works well for both sides against the AI.  With the Germans it is possible to destroy every Polish tank without the loss of a Panther.  It is also possible for the Poles to achieve their mission and tactical tasks, albeit with significant loses.  

This is a huge map, 2km x 4km.  I reduced it in size from 4km x 4 km to prevent crashes.  I have a newer system and there is a significant AI processing time for a we-go game.  Those with slower machines should adjust graphics settings to make the game more playable. 

The file is available at the repository and at http://cmmods.greenasjade.net.

Edited by olebouch

I haven't played it yet, but I have looked at the map and the Axis setup, here's some points I've noticed:

1. The map could be more detailed, especially the roads, you can't really rely on the road tool exclusively.

2. The German tank column mostly means a lot of work for the player, I'd suggest instead of placing them in a column,

do some work to place them in company and platoon formations, that way you get a start setup where the player does not

have do that work first of all.

3. The lakes look weird due to being at a higher elevation level than the river. I'd suggest to either lower their elevation or the        elevation around them or replace them by a Marsh/Deep Marsh combination of tiles

4. You can alter building textures by Shift+(left) Click on them. Buildings that form complexes should have the same texture to increase visual fidelity (for example the building complex east of the Bahnhof).

That being said, I want to thank you for taking the time and creating this scenario for us, I personally appreciate anything that helps keeping CMRT alive ;)

Edited by Rokko

Units at this map do not respond to any given orders ! (i played RT)  In some cases a single tank needed 2 minutes just to drive forward - that applies to all units. The AI is absolutely unable to move its units. They got stuck at the road for 1 hour so i quit the game.

In my German vs AI test games, the lead Polish tanks are in Mückenhain within five turns (five minutes).  You should not have quit, eventually you would have had a steady stream of tanks to fight.  If you play as the Poles, you must give them many waypoints, I find it best to do it by platoons and have some companies take a bypass route through the farm fields before entering the road. 

I haven't played it yet, but I have looked at the map and the Axis setup, here's some points I've noticed:

1. The map could be more detailed, especially the roads, you can't really rely on the road tool exclusively.

2. The German tank column mostly means a lot of work for the player, I'd suggest instead of placing them in a column,

do some work to place them in company and platoon formations, that way you get a start setup where the player does not

have do that work first of all.

3. The lakes look weird due to being at a higher elevation level than the river. I'd suggest to either lower their elevation or the        elevation around them or replace them by a Marsh/Deep Marsh combination of tiles

4. You can alter building textures by Shift+(left) Click on them. Buildings that form complexes should have the same texture to increase visual fidelity (for example the building complex east of the Bahnhof).

That being said, I want to thank you for taking the time and creating this scenario for us, I personally appreciate anything that helps keeping CMRT alive ;)

1.  How could I improve the roads?  Please describe the techniques required.

2.  The German tanks cold easily maneuver through the fields on either side of the road.

3.  Good point, I will lower the elevation.

4.  Will do, that is something I certainly overlooked.

1. I will post some pictures explaining what I mean later.

2. I mean as the scenario designer you could, instead of placing the tanks in a column along a road, already place them on the fields and in formation so place them in a bunch of platoon wedges or something with some distance between each platoon formation to allow for easy visual distinction from the start. That way the whole thing becomes more accessible, since as of now, the first thing the player has to do is getting this column in order for it to be useful in combat, which is a rather tedious task.

3. A good and easy rule for this is to give every water tile that connects to a land tile an elevation fix. That way you can make sure to avoid those steep cliffs near water. Another tip is to make all shore water tiles shallow fords. It looks much more natural. I do it that way for every piece of water except for rivers that are less than 3 tiles wide. For a lake you'd for instance have most of the lake be regular water tiles with a ring of shallow ford tiles around. I hope that is understandable ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, pintere said:

If anyone still has this scenario it would be great if they could repost it :) 

Playing this one was a ton of fun and unless this one gets uploaded to the scenario depot it may be lost forever!

Rossmann at Kodersdorf

I'll pin this here for a few days: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fG25Vio2a-tNoQlXjHevHu2P6DbWt3Ex/view?usp=sharing

Someone upload to depot please. Thanks! 🙂

• 3 months later...