Transparency for BMP files

Hello,

I'm working on a mod in photoshop, and the one thing I cannot figure out is how to add some kind of alpha channel or transparency that I can then save in a bmp file that Combat Mission can then use.

I know it's likely something simple that I'm neglecting, but any help would be greatly appreciated

It worked perfectly. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out last night, but I notice now that I was creating a layer mask instead of an alpha channel, so I couldn't get the "save alpha channel" option to even highlight when saving the file. Of course, I fixed that this morning... and the very next thing I did was then save it as 24 bits out of habit, which also didn't. Thanks to you both for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you have to save in a certain bit rate for some reason.

8 bits per channel for the RGB channels, and 8 for the alpha channel...  I kept making the same mistake as the OP until I remembered I was dealing with four channels, not three  ;)

Oh, one more thing... Every time I make a selection, I've learned to save it as a separate channel (I'm assuming you're using Photoshop).  That way, if I screw something up, which I'm often prone to do :rolleyes:, at least I don't have to recreate the selection; just load a "new" selection.

Edited by Rake