BMP-3M Mech inf. vs M2 Mech inf. tactics.

I wonder, why M242 armour penetration is better than 2A72. According to wiki fo AP round both have equal muzzle velocity (1.100 m/s). It is quality of rounds only or something else?

I think the M2 has 25mm APFSDS-T in game which does attribute higher penetration.   

Ha not really.TI sight on T-72B3 (the only system that is actually in service with TI sights in the game at this time), gunner sight protocol is TI, then day optic, then back up gun sight (which is basically a view port). Maybe 1 or 2 generations behind 10 years ago but not now. Thales Catherine-FC TI imager (I know doesn't have the same level of zoom than that of M1 imager), should be just as good at spotting at 1km away as an M1, further then yes there is the case for M1 better at spotting, however examples I have used have been at 500m

The real issue with the Catherine is it has similar sensitivity to late 90's-early 2000's Thermal optics, but it does not have the ability to maintain resolution on the move or while scanning.  It's part of the downgrade process, until you really see the design entirely reverse engineered and built into a Katherine The Great-FC, or more advanced indigenous designs, it's simply not a comparable optic system.  

Further if we're whining about spotting times, it's worth nothing both the commander, and gunner on Bradley and Abrams type vehicles have access to fully independent thermal optics, which is to say more eyeballs, while most of the Russian platforms do offer commander's optics, but they are generally day/IR of some manner.  It's a lot easier to find something in a 180 degree arc with two thermal optics covering 90 degrees, than one scanning 180 

Addendum:

I think the M2 has 25mm APFSDS-T in game which does attribute higher penetration.   

This.  And they're DU too.  There's accounts of them going through frontal armor on T-62/T-55 vehicles which might be obsolete for a tank, but they're still pretty thick armor compared to most IFVs.

Re: Thermal generations

I have no idea either.  There's so many "GENERATION 2.5+!" or the like I've just given up.  

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer

So does BMP-2M.

They both have the same thermal gunner optic also, with variable zoom. Another carryover from CMSF in spotting ability im guessing also...

Such 'murican superiority on this forums is truly telling.

If you think something is wrong, run some tests and submit the results here for review.

I wonder, why M242 armour penetration is better than 2A72. According to wiki fo AP round both have equal muzzle velocity (1.100 m/s). It is quality of rounds only or something else?

2A72/2A42 should use tungsten saboted round also. DU rounds obviously have alot of penetration capability, but so does a Tungsten penetrator against something like an opposing M2 IFV.

M791 is APDS.  I don't think a 25mm tungsten APFSDS round has ever been in US service.

For game (as of v1.02), Russia has 3UBR8 tungsten APDS in legacy vehicles (BMP-2, BTR-80A, MT-LBM 6MB), 3UBR11 tungsten APFSDS for modernized vehicles (BMP-3/3M, BMP-2M, BTR-82A).  Ukraine has just 3UBR8, or maybe even 3UBR6 AP.

Which reminds me, does anyone have reliable penetration stats for 3UBR8?  I am finding figures that are all over the place.

Edited by akd

For game (as of v1.02), Russia has 3UBR8 tungsten APDS in legacy vehicles (BMP-2, BTR-80A, MT-LBM 6MB), 3UBR11 tungsten APFSDS for modernized vehicles (BMP-3/3M, BMP-2M, BTR-82A).  Ukraine has just 3UBR8, or maybe even 3UBR6 AP.

Ill take that to mean things are being tweaked. Noice.

3UBR11, I have seen quotes for UBR8 between 25mm and 50mm RHA at 1000m. Its probably best to extrapolate from what you have already ingame for UBR8 into UBR11 by a magnitude of the change to the penetrator and propellant.