Trenchant analysis of post-Soviet playbook & why Crimea's not the same

If you wish to know Moscow's playbook, its track record; what worked, what didn't and why; if you want to know why what Putin's done in Crimea is an unprecedented departure from all post-Soviet practice, may I commend to your attention Jeffrey Mankoff's deeply insightful and informative article "Russia's Latest Land Grab: How Putin Won Crimea and Lost Ukraine," which is available online here at the Foreign Affairs website?

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Mods, I tried to couch this description in ways not violative of the Forum Rules. If I still inadvertently stepped in it, my apologies and please tweak the prose as needed.

Edited by John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for that article.  Very informative.  I was on liveleak.com  and found an American tank in the swamp of Mariupol, Ukraine.  It too comes with an article discussing how to handle the current situation.  At least, there is proof of one American tank, just a picture I know.  How authentic do you think is?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c09_1427197611

The picture above is a Black Panther tank found here,   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2_Black_Panther reminds me of my grandfather's group  WWII.  They were the tank crushers (Panthers).  Looks like we are in Mariupol already.  Grandpa would love seeing a picture of one of these were he here.   Thank you for sharing so much knowledge, you did not have to, but you shared, I am impressed, very impressed, overwhelmed, but soaking up what I can remember, believe me.  Mind blowing what you know!  You need to hear it,  I am really proud  of what you have shared I relate back to it all the time.   Don't worry, what someone else thinks or feels Luke or whoever, won't change that because you really know your stuff John.    I have known you for years.  You have already proven yourself to me year after year after year after year.  To encourage transparency,  I am adding to what is already accessible to you tankers, who have an insatiable thirst for knowledge of the present war in Ukraine whether it be to make this game the best it can be or aid in saving lives.  Go Panthers!  LOL

Yeah. that's a K2.  They're hardly even operational in the ROK, let alone in Ukraine.  

The reality is if the US did under the table lethal weapons, is they'd either be Russian sourced for lol, or otherwise correct for Eastern Europe.  It was the same playbook for Afghanistan (largely Soviet weapons from Egypt, swapped for American hardware), and with only a few exceptions the policy for the Cold War and beyond*

OP article is good though.  Foreign Policy is pretty reputable when it comes to at least voicing interesting opinions.  

*About the only exception to the "arming" vs "arms deal" method was the supplying Stingers, and that was more a reflection of the state of Strelas.  If the US did supply weapons, a large stock of Russian/Polish/"hey look this fell off a truck in Siberia!" type weapons, a smaller one of very common US weapons (TOWs are great for this) is much more likely, with possibly a very few signature US weapons provided (so as to say "we have sent only a hundred Javelins and six hundred missiles!" while not owning up to the thousands of AT-14, RPG-29s, later model RPG-7s we acquired to ship to the Ukraine).

This is not to imply that is what is happening now, merely that the whole "AND HERE IS A US TANK MURDERING RUSSIANS IN DONBAS!" meme is idiotic to the extreme and should be treated as such.  

Thank you for that article.  Very informative.  I was on liveleak.com  and found an American tank in the swamp of Mariupol, Ukraine.  It too comes with an article discussing how to handle the current situation.  At least, there is proof of one American tank, just a picture I know.  How authentic do you think is?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c09_1427197611

I wasn't aware they used Hangul in the Ukraine.

Wicky,

Interesting, if they cut back, wonder if they are going to put the resources into  AVF robotic support type tanks and supplies instead.  
As far as Crimea goes, I am baffled as to why everyone in Europe seems to be on Flouride or some sort of relaxant or they are being extorted, bribed, threatened into submission.  They had to know that Russia would want all of that land they lost, back.  So, why did they not see this ahead of time?  They need to realize  all the Mafias are ridding us off and are not to be trusted.  They are going to take Kiev next, I feel.  Why, because that is where I saw the Mafia at the CERN laboratory, I do have that picture if anyone is interested.  They intend to have control of this.  It is more that just a piece of technology.  It is their ticket to ride out of here or bring in reinforcements.  They think, if, they move a CERN laboratory closer to Putin, they will have mafia protection.  The last CERN failed (Swiss Zionist Mafia).  This new CERN is very expensive and many governments are being bullied,  to pay for it.   Russian planes have been flying over England recently, bulling them.  Russian has spies in MI-6,  London, forgot one of their names, go to Abel Danger.  This Russian mafia and other mafias in U.S., Australia, and more are blackmailing European (Recently Angela Merkel's, Germans, Poland, and other  world leaders by crashing their airplanes, school children even, using the Boeing uninterrupted Auto-Pilot +  Air Tranquilizer  (ATI)  to tranquilize pilots, crew, and passengers to terrorize countries into pouring money into the CERN Laboratory in Ukraine and other land grabs.   A list of flights where they used the BUAP + ATI  to force planes down for revenge to governments who failed to comply.  Adam Air 574, Kenya Airway 507, Speedbird 38, Turkish 1951, Colgan 3407, Air France 447, Air Afrikiyah 771, Sukhoi Superjet, MH370, MH17, QZ8501, and now the one downed in French Alps.  There is a reason why the co-pilot had steady breathing, he was out cold.  They own the mainstream news, so you will be reading from their mafia owned script writers.

So, if we want to make life easier, now, and later, we need to take Putin seriously, one tank in Mariupol is not enough to  stop their advancing toward Kiev.  Check my sources, meanwhile,  ensure pilots have warning systems in the cockpit when the air is foul, extra oxygen to prevent the plane from being droned.  For more on this see Abeldanger.net, on Livestream as Abel danger.   Around 1995, one of the airlines in Europe filed a suit for 800 million because their 747's airplane technologists for Lafthunsa, Germanwings is an affiliate, (recent France crash ,pay back) for filing this suit where technicians, found extra stuff in a electric equipment  compartment (E&E).   They filed, to get Boeing to pay for having to remove the components on all of the jets they purchased from Boeing.  To protect Boeing and us, these need to be removed immediately.  New York Bronx, Base 1 Technologies Clinton aides activated the patented devices BUAP + ATI to kill revenge Yvonne Selke, a Pentagon spy in the satellite mapping branch of the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency.  This is how they  revenge after being fired from key positions or to kill a whistleblower or to kill  Yvonne Salik.  We provided Ukraine with satellite imagery because Putin had control of Ukraines therefore always had the upper hand.  The mafia is trying to intimidate the Pentagon so we will stop sharing intelligence with Ukraine.

Let us put an end to mafia controlled banking, markets, and manufacturers exploiting humanity.  If they can blackmail our Pentagon, world governments, we have no representation.  Find out more, we have to wake up,  Airbus, FAA, JAA all know about this, so why aren't they doing anything about it, they are complicit.  Soon,  people who don't know about it,  will.   Covering up by killing off any whistleblowers exposing this, is a very dark world.  Not the world I want to hand over to my children. 

http://new.livestream.com/abeldanger

Panzersaukrautwerfer,

Wow!  Same playbook as Afganistan.  Well, that makes perfect sense.  It is working for them, why not keep it.  Thanks, Smart you are!  I admit, I am a newbie to how they operate.  But, quickly learning.  I feel like you guys need to write a book on this, you know so much. Lol

Wicky,

Interesting, if they cut back, wonder if they are going to put the resources into  AVF robotic support type tanks and supplies instead.  

As far as Crimea goes, I am baffled as to why everyone in Europe seems to be on Flouride or some sort of relaxant or they are being extorted, bribed, threatened into submission.  They had to know that Russia would want all of that land they lost, back.  So, why did they not see this ahead of time?  They need to realize  all the Mafias are ridding us off and are not to be trusted.  They are going to take Kiev next, I feel.  Why, because that is where I saw the Mafia at the CERN laboratory, I do have that picture if anyone is interested.  They intend to have control of this.  It is more that just a piece of technology.  It is their ticket to ride out of here or bring in reinforcements.  They think, if, they move a CERN laboratory closer to Putin, they will have mafia protection.  The last CERN failed (Swiss Zionist Mafia).  This new CERN is very expensive and many governments are being bullied,  to pay for it.   Russian planes have been flying over England recently, bulling them.  Russian has spies in MI-6,  London, forgot one of their names, go to Abel Danger.  This Russian mafia and other mafias in U.S., Australia, and more are blackmailing European (Recently Angela Merkel's, Germans, Poland, and other  world leaders by crashing their airplanes, school children even, using the Boeing uninterrupted Auto-Pilot +  Air Tranquilizer  (ATI)  to tranquilize pilots, crew, and passengers to terrorize countries into pouring money into the CERN Laboratory in Ukraine and other land grabs.   A list of flights where they used the BUAP + ATI  to force planes down for revenge to governments who failed to comply.  Adam Air 574, Kenya Airway 507, Speedbird 38, Turkish 1951, Colgan 3407, Air France 447, Air Afrikiyah 771, Sukhoi Superjet, MH370, MH17, QZ8501, and now the one downed in French Alps.  There is a reason why the co-pilot had steady breathing, he was out cold.  They own the mainstream news, so you will be reading from their mafia owned script writers.

So, if we want to make life easier, now, and later, we need to take Putin seriously, one tank in Mariupol is not enough to  stop their advancing toward Kiev.  Check my sources, meanwhile,  ensure pilots have warning systems in the cockpit when the air is foul, extra oxygen to prevent the plane from being droned.  For more on this see Abeldanger.net, on Livestream as Abel danger.   Around 1995, one of the airlines in Europe filed a suit for 800 million because their 747's airplane technologists for Lafthunsa, Germanwings is an affiliate, (recent France crash ,pay back) for filing this suit where technicians, found extra stuff in a electric equipment  compartment (E&E).   They filed, to get Boeing to pay for having to remove the components on all of the jets they purchased from Boeing.  To protect Boeing and us, these need to be removed immediately.  New York Bronx, Base 1 Technologies Clinton aides activated the patented devices BUAP + ATI to kill revenge Yvonne Selke, a Pentagon spy in the satellite mapping branch of the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency.  This is how they  revenge after being fired from key positions or to kill a whistleblower or to kill  Yvonne Salik.  We provided Ukraine with satellite imagery because Putin had control of Ukraines therefore always had the upper hand.  The mafia is trying to intimidate the Pentagon so we will stop sharing intelligence with Ukraine.

Let us put an end to mafia controlled banking, markets, and manufacturers exploiting humanity.  If they can blackmail our Pentagon, world governments, we have no representation.  Find out more, we have to wake up,  Airbus, FAA, JAA all know about this, so why aren't they doing anything about it, they are complicit.  Soon,  people who don't know about it,  will.   Covering up by killing off any whistleblowers exposing this, is a very dark world.  Not the world I want to hand over to my children. 

http://new.livestream.com/abeldanger

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here

Panzersaurkrautwerfer,

Sorry I spelled your name incorrectly.  Don't blame John for my long winded self, please.  Sorry, but I had to tell someone.  Forgive me, and my sources are not John Kettler, by the way in case people are wondering regarding this matter,  he is not responsible.  Aren't you at least interested in,  why, they downed that plane Germanwings flight 9525, and how that relates to Ukraine?  We have to wake up somehow, someway.  I feel I am  complicit, part of covering it up, if I don't share it, again forgive me.  Love your name.

Aren't you at least interested in,  why, they downed that plane Germanwings flight 9525, and how that relates to Ukraine?

In a word, no. And I count the life expectancy of anyone referring to the "Swiss Zionist Mafia" as having maybe just a few posts before banning from this forum.  You are at 12.  Anyone want to start a pool on how long we go?

Wow!  Same playbook as Afganistan.

Again if you're denying presence, you don't announce it with systems that frankly could only be flown in by C-17s flown by Americans, and driven by crewmen named Park and Kim.  It's not even really an American move as much as something most countries do when trying to keep a low profile (see the early Russian efforts in the Ukraine, only using equipment that at least could be claimed to have came from Ukrainian stocks).  As the case is the US lacks the national will to commit that sort of action, and given the current situation, it's a very doubtful proposition.

Re: Crazytalk

What Sburke is saying is that there's a sort of accepted level of off topic here, and connection to reality.  This is really not the place where you're going to find a receptive audience to discuss the Germanwings thing because most of us prefer some Occam in our razors if you get my drift.  

Panzersaurkrautmerfer,

What the heck is an Occam?  I got the point.  Thanks for being honest, and the in depth explanation of C-17's  I did not intend to aggravate ya'll  You guys are so smart, just sayin, hard to compare to you guys,  you share so much,  just wanted to impress you,  at least a little bit, in comparison,    I guess.  Patient you are!!!   Good Night

Don't worry, what someone else thinks or feels Luke or whoever, won't change that because you really know your stuff John.   

Why are you dragging me into this conversation? 

I have known you for years.  You have already proven yourself to me year after year after year after year.

Well, I guess it's true what they say about birds of a feather.

sburke,

I am not sure what you are trying say.  Could you explain, do you mean my life is in danger or do you mean I am going to be banned from this website,   what is 12?   Sorry?

Thank you 'Sir'. that was genuinely :D comical response. Seriously though, be careful with what you post here, especially if you have hot sources, Putin's people are watching this site closely.

42 ;)

Edited by vincere

Apocal,

What is a Hangul in the Ukraine?

Codename Duchess,

Why do you prefer the mafia? I am Confused. Is it because they are supporting the underdogs or is it the other way around? Either way, I try to support the side of morality. I know it depends on what side were on, I just want the revenge cycles to stop. I think we all can agree on that, for sure.

Edited by Do Right

LukeFF,

I bet you are a lot of fun to play with on the CMBS.  This site would not be the same without you.  I look forward to being disrespected by you, I have to admit, I am weird like that.  I sometimes welcome people to make comments.  I guess being the new student most of my life, I have a thick coat.  Good Night