No American AAA?

America lacks AAA in the game because it lacks AAA. Theoretically Bradley has some high angle AA capability but an ex-Bradley guy on the board commented that they never practice with that 'bulls eye' sight mounted to the roof, it may not even be referenced in the vehicle manual.

Micro-UAVs could potentially be shot down even by small arms, although the probability per gun would probably be very low.  These are basically RC planes with operating heights of only a few hundred feet.  However, having everything on the map open up on micro-UAVs would pose some problems.

We are missing AN/TWQ-1 Avenger in game, but hopefully will see it in a patch or module.  It's high-RoF .50 cal would be great for swatting micro-UAVs.

Edited by akd

Micro-UAVs could potentially be shot down even by small arms, although the probability per gun would probably be very low.  These are basically RC planes with operating heights of only a few hundred feet.  However, having everything on the map open up on micro-UAVs would pose some problems.

We are missing AN/TWQ-1 Avenger in game, but hopefully will see it in a patch or module.  It's high-RoF .50 cal would be great for swatting micro-UAVs.

Yeah, that is exactly what I thought was strange not to have. Are they not actually in active service?

America lacks AAA in the game because it lacks AAA. Theoretically Bradley has some high angle AA capability but an ex-Bradley guy on the board commented that they never practice with that 'bulls eye' sight mounted to the roof, it may not even be referenced in the vehicle manual.

So company-sized US forces IRL do not deploy with any vehicle-mounted AAA or SAM?  Is it all handled at battalion level?  The lack of it in CMBS makes scenarios with decisive Russian air superiority ("Objective Delta") virtually unplayable for me as the US because I cannot for the life of me imagine how my task force can be expected to fend off Frogfoots and assault helos with no CAP and one Stinger MANPAD team.

Yeah, that is exactly what I thought was strange not to have. Are they not actually in active service?

Apparently Linebacker was taken out of service in 2006. US AAA certainly seems to be weak and they may suffer for this cut in the event of war with someone with a decent airforce such as Russia - at least until the USAF wins the air war. Which mght be some time into the conflict. In the meantime US ground troops have a problem... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2/M3_Bradley_Fighting_Vehicle#M6_Linebacker

Ther was a thread about this topic still active a few days ago

In a few words, the argument made by people that know about this stuff is that the US doesn't have this systems because it counts on the air force to do the job

So, basically the game assumes a situation that wouldn't be possible (or likely) in real life, except for a few very lucky Russian planes in the whole theater that would probably be shot down returning home anyway, but because this is a game it takes some liberties 

I won´t start an argument about this, since I don't claim any special knowledge about it,  but in the interest of not starting another never ending thread on this I would suggest you check that other thread, specially the arguments put forward by US officers and see their reasoning for how things are the way they are

Ther was a thread about this topic still active a few days ago

In a few words, the argument made by people that know about this stuff is that the US doesn't have this systems because it counts on the air force to do the job

So, basically the game assumes a situation that wouldn't be possible (or likely) in real life, except for a few very lucky Russian planes in the whole theater that would probably be shot down returning home anyway, but because this is a game it takes some liberties 

I won´t start an argument about this, since I don't claim any special knowledge about it,  but in the interest of not starting another never ending thread on this I would suggest you check that other thread, specially the arguments put forward by US officers and see their reasoning for how things are the way they are

Thanks for the reply - yes, that actually makes quite a bit of sense as to what their reasoning is. 

So, basically the game assumes a situation that wouldn't be possible (or likely) in real life,

Either that or the Pentagon is making assumptions. Its been so long since we've faced anyone with airpower that was even a potential threat to ground forces that we may have grown complacent. When were we last under genuine threat from enemy airpower, the north Africa campaign? the initial north Korean invasion of the south?

I can't speak for how the US Army organizes it's Air Defense units but I can speak to how the USMC does.

Each MEF has a Low Altitude Air Defense (LAAD) Battalion in the Marine Air Control Group (MACG) of the Marine Air Wing (MAW). Each LAAD Battalion possesses a Headquarters and Service Battery and 2 Firing Batteries. The Firing Batteries each possess a Battery Headquarters and 3 Firing Platoons. The Firing Platoons each have a Platoon Headquarters and 3 Firing Sections. Each Firing Section has a Section Headquarters Element and 5 two man Firing Teams.

A LAAD Battalion can field 90 Stinger Teams. A firing battery, 45 Teams, a Platoon 15 Teams and a Section 5 Teams. A LAAD Bn has 60 Avenger vehicles, which is 30 per firing battery, 10 per platoon, 5 per section. The usual employment of a firing battery is 30 Avenger and 15 man portable Stinger teams but the mix of systems can be changed according to the mission, for example to support a helicopterborne assault, only Stinger teams would be employed. To support a mechanized unit, all of the Avengers would  be employed.

By doctrine, a LAAD Platoon will normally be deployed to support a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), a battery will usually support a Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB), and a full LAAD battalion will support a Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF). The majority of the LAAD elements will be in direct support of ground combat elements in a scenario like Black Sea, although some will be allocated to covering logistical units, HQs, FARPs, etc...

Currently MEUs routinely deploy with only a LAAD Section vice a platoon due to the lack of a significant air threat and a Marine IAD network is usually only established at the MEB level and up.

LAAD Units are usually employed in either general support (GS) of the MAGTF, or in direct support (DS) of a particular unit. Employed in the general support role, LAAD units position Stinger Teams to best support the entire MAGTF based on the MAGTF Commander's established air defense priorities. In the direct support (DS) they position Stinger teams to best support the unit they are in DS of, based on the guidance of the supported commander.

So hopefully for the USMC module, Avenger vehicles will be running around on CM:BS maps.

Edited by Imperial Grunt

Avenger should be in for both US Army and USMC formations.  

The .50 should be a good tool for swatting UAVs too.

Either that or the Pentagon is making assumptions. Its been so long since we've faced anyone with airpower that was even a potential threat to ground forces that we may have grown complacent. When were we last undergenuine threat from enemy airpower, the north Africa campaign? the initial north Korean invasion of the south?

It's really North Africa.  The DPRK managed a few leakers, but nothing really consistent.

On the other hand, to this day we're still lacking even near-peer air threats. 

Is the .50 on the Abrams any good for this?

Hmm.  I'd never really thought of using the CROWS.  CROWS is indeed designed to be able to engage helicopters.  Acquiring the drone might be tricky though, and it's a really small target.  The .50 cal on the Avenger is actually a faster firing weapon too so you'll get better saturation of the target area too.

Avenger should be in for both US Army and USMC formations.  

The .50 should be a good tool for swatting UAVs too.

It's really North Africa.  The DPRK managed a few leakers, but nothing really consistent.

On the other hand, to this day we're still lacking even near-peer air threats. 

Assuming it is actually still in service and has no been cu to make financial savings. Anyway, if not in service i may not be that simple to bring it back quickly if needed. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/44-44/Ch1.htm