Leaders and Bonus Modifiers

One thing that I don't understand about leadership is how a veteran squad leader can have a -2 modifier for command or morale. If they are vets, shouldn't they at least have a zero command/morale bonus if not a positive one?  

In addition to that, if a leader is supposed to provide the squad with better leadership, how does a negative rating for command/morale affect a vet unit as opposed to a regular or green unit?

Lastly, if the leader and assistant leader are both killed, do the modifiers (positive or negative) still get passed down to the rest of the squad?  

Edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh

Well about the first point, he could have seen many battles but be a complete idiot, or just have a really abysmal tactical acumen, take all the wrong decisions in the heat of battle and his men know it so they don't feel too good about being led by him. Not every officer is a military genius, some are just liabilities.

<snip>

Lastly, if the leader and assistant leader are both killed, do the modifiers (positive or negative) still get passed down to the rest of the squad?  

No.  Whoever is promoted up into that spot will have his own modifiers that will be passed down to the rest of the squad.  Like when a +1 tank TC is KIA the gunner takes over who may be -1 or 0 or whatever.

As for your first question, experience does not equal leadership.  Just like when we have been in a job where some people had several years experience.  Some of those experienced people were good leaders that you liked to work for and others you would dread the day when they were in charge.  But they all had several years of experience.  

For your second  question, I am not sure in terms of game mechanics how that is portrayed. 

As for your first question, experience does not equal leadership.  Just like when we have been in a job where some people had several years experience.  Some of those experienced people were good leaders that you liked to work for and others you would dread the day when they were in charge.  But they all had several years of experience.  

Plus, he could also just be burned-out, fed-up, etc.

A better way of putting it might be...how would a Veteran leader with a 0 morale modifier compare to a Regular squad leader with a +1 morale modifier?

My understanding is that there are four different soft factors: Experience, Leadership, Motivation (morale) and physical fitness.  I think motivation (morale) has to do with how a unit sticks to it's orders for better or for worse and related to sticking to orders is how they hold up under fire before breaking.  

So using my troops as an example a veteran troop with +1 motivation would have the experience to know better than to follow my orders but because of the +1 motivation would probably follow my orders anyways.  (Then after he was KIA his regular, -1 motivation next in command would take the team and get out of dodge while I cursed at the monitor)    

Having a -2 leader in the loop is better than having no leader at all, according to Steve.

It may well be true in a modern peacetime volunteer force that has plenty of time to pick and experience in using a rational basis for selecting their officers and senior NCOs will usually have leaders with positive Leadership modifiers. But when the selection system is stressed by high throughput, and "dead man's shoes" is a common way of promoting people, you will get soldiers who have wide experience, have developed good personal tactical skills and have seen the elephant, but couldn't lead the way out of a phone box getting put in leadership positions. Also, it's worth remembering that Experience is an average, as is Motivation. So that -2 Leaderhsip "Rupert" might actually be Green, and the average of the unit is still Regular or Veteran, becuase every other trooper in that element is that good.