German vehicle tactical symbols (FOR LUFTWAFFE UNITS)...

Phil, it's not very clear that FJ units used tactical markings on their vehicles on any regular, consistent basis, but the ones I've found are the blue flaming comet on a white shield (flat across the top, rounded on bottom, like a shovel) on the left front fender (as you are looking at it from the front). Here's a link I saved a while ago...the picture is no longer there. I have it, but I'm not at my computer at the moment.

No! I see on the OTHER Fender the feint outline of the tac symbol stencil. A complex system of how they marked their vehicles for matching to who owned them in a unit.

A white rectangle with 2 circle under it was motorized. a circle and a longish oval was semi-tracked. get it?

Rhomboid shape was armored. "Gepanzert" or (Gep.) in abbreviations.

Entire books written on the subject but not so much as related to Luftwaffe.

Okay, I will make something up and slap a tattoo on Marta's fender. Stab Kompanie for a motorized regiment.

I've always liked the look of the German symbols since Avalon Hill used them for their massive Longest Day game. I use them when playing as the Axis in CMBN and use the NATO style for the Allies. 

That's how I first got into them too, Warts. I forgot who modded the icons to these symbols, but will have to dig them out for kohlenklau's Panzer Command Op campaign.

If you are talking about the floating icon mod that shows the tactical symbols from the various armies then yeah that was me.  The link for the CMBN version is here http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5164/details

These are not the same ones that were used on the vehicles them selves though.  The German icons look like this:

GermanTacticalSymbolsKey.jpg

And in game:

GermanTacticalSymbolsPreview.jpg

Thanks. Trying to upload to GaJ...keeps on failing for my lame internet connection. The ISP comes out on Wednesday to put up a new 40 foot telescopic mast on my property. I asked to be pointed towards their new tower. The pitfalls of rural living.

EDIT: UPLOADED TO GAJ!!!

Edited by kohlenklau

OK, I have a mini-battle and a battle just about off and in progress so I can relax back and do a few mods. I will give KG Kerner a few more soft skin vehicles: a Krupp Protze and an Opel Blitz. Slap on the "KG Kerner shield with Germanic script K", new WL license plates. tac symbol and a nickname.

Anybody got some good ideas for nicknames? :D

From what I gather German nicknames tended to be quite sentimental during the war, apart from a few SS nutters that is. I've seen pictures of tanks named "Paula" and such like. So perhaps you should follow suit with your vehicles and give "Marta" some sisters so to speak... Gretel, Geli, Lenchen etc etc.