Question regarding repairs

MarcM

I am in the middle of "Cry Havoc!" and have lost a couple Bradley's due to track damage.

I was wondering if field repairs are possible, as it seems such a waste to leave them behind as I advance. I understand that field repairs might take up to an hour to complete, depending on severity.

Thoughts?

In a campaign you get back vehicles that aren't completely destroyed but during a batte you are stuck with immobilisation results turning your vehices into expensive pillboxes for the duration of the battle. If the intent of your question was to gauge opinion on field repairs being in a future patch or something, then I would be against it on principle as I really don't see the time it would take to implement being worth it. Having said that, if BFC's rumoured plans to expand the role of battlefield engineering are true, it's possible they could include field repairs in such an expansion, but I would imagine their focus would be more on things like bridge-laying and mine-clearing vehicles.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

Thanks for the response, Steiner. My question wasn't really about opinions, though the last query may have pointed in that direction. 

Expensive pillboxes they are, and the only problem really is for the poor squads that have to hoof it around the map, though I suppose one (M2A3) could be spared as a shuttle. 

Interesting that you mention engineers roles, as one of the grumbles I had with the initial deployment in Cry Havoc mission was the inability for my Bradley's to ford the river to the west. Mobile bridges would be sweet!

In previous titles, there was no guarantee you'd get immobilised vehicles back for the next scenario of the campaign, even if they had "only" become immobilised by bogging. Has that changed in BS? It sorta makes sense that field repair units are better equipped and supplied and more likely to be able to assist in a timely manner in the modern age, I guess.

In previous titles it was up to the campaign designer if you get immobilized/dammaged vehicles back or not. The only exceptions are leadership positions, they are always filled up. You cant have a tank platoon without a platoon CO. That is why i like to use my command elements as shock troops - if they die, i ll get new ones for the next mission anyways. It also helps me to keep my troops morale high - getting your leaders killed early means they can inspire their subordinate units with their bravery and it makes it easier for lower ranking soldiers to be promoted.

Oh yes, mobile bridges would be awesome. I dont know though how realistic it would be to have them, maybe that is outside of CMs scope.

Very realistic and withing cm scope. However I dont think they are worth the coding effort since it is still bit of a niche tactical feature.

Re: Field repairs

Blown track or roadwheels are potentially do-able in real life, but only in the "things are pretty minor" damage, like it's just one or two links.  If the tank was in motion when it lost track, or the damaged piece is pretty well and truly mauled* it'll likely take hours to fix without significant help from mechanics. 

*The brits used to send out their recovery crews with C4 and other demolitions to shortcut their way through removing track that had been damaged to the point where it wasn't going to just come apart any more.  Most countries use various cutting torches, but this should give you an idea that recovering a battle damaged tank can be very difficult.

Re: Bridges

Could be neat, but the codiing effort would be significant, and I haven't seen many terrain features that AVLBs would be well suited for.  Given their length they're much more intended as a ditch crossing tool, then getting across a river.  

I'll tell you what I would like to see in terms of mobile bridges is not that they be put into position during a CM scenario but that a scenario designer could have them in their tool box of bridges. Then you could create a scenario where the engineering teams have already placed the bridge.