Coming Soon 27 V3.11 QB Maps

Many a QB Map started life as a Campaign! CM Campaign and Scen designers have been generous in providing their maps for conversion into QB Maps. Players can, of course, take QB Maps and make scen or campaigns with them. But there is no function within the scope of Quick Battle Generator to take a human controlled force from one Quick battle to another. A player could take the time and work during QB Force selection to mimic such an event. But it really isn't within the scope of the Quick Battle Generator. Perhaps that's something better left to the Scen Editor. The Master Maps found in some of the CM Games would be great for that kind of thing.

Many a QB Map started life as a Campaign! CM Campaign and Scen designers have been generous in providing their maps for conversion into QB Maps. Players can, of course, take QB Maps and make scen or campaigns with them. But there is no function within the scope of Quick Battle Generator to take a human controlled force from one Quick battle to another. A player could take the time and work during QB Force selection to mimic such an event. But it really isn't within the scope of the Quick Battle Generator. Perhaps that's something better left to the Scen Editor. The Master Maps found in some of the CM Games would be great for that kind of thing.

Here is an example of what I am trying to get at.  This was put together by Skwabie for CMFI...

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/112695-the-chronicles-of-kg-skwabie-campaign-of-scenarios/?hl=%2Bchronicles+%2Bskwabie

The Chronicles Of KG Skwabie...

Been working on it for some time. It's a campaign with a core unit force linking all the single scenarios in CMFI/GL together as a campaign. However there're 34 single scenarios in the install in total, with tweaking the orbats, objectives, reinforcements and all the play-testing it's taken longer than expected. Plus I'm due away for work again without access to my PC. So here's the WIP campaign, linking the first 20 scenarios. The last one is the huge "Lancing the Abscess" battle attacking the Allied landing, so it's got a explosive ending for sure!

Note: I did not make these scenarios! The credits all go to the talented original scenario creators. My effort only goes to making them into a playable CM campaign....

Edited by Blazing 88's

Here is an example of what I am trying to get at.  This was put together by Skwabie for CMFI...

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/112695-the-chronicles-of-kg-skwabie-campaign-of-scenarios/?hl=%2Bchronicles+%2Bskwabie

The Chronicles Of KG Skwabie...

Been working on it for some time. It's a campaign with a core unit force linking all the single scenarios in CMFI/GL together as a campaign. However there're 34 single scenarios in the install in total, with tweaking the orbats, objectives, reinforcements and all the play-testing it's taken longer than expected. Plus I'm due away for work again without access to my PC. So here's the WIP campaign, linking the first 20 scenarios. The last one is the huge "Lancing the Abscess" battle attacking the Allied landing, so it's got a explosive ending for sure!

Note: I did not make these scenarios! The credits all go to the talented original scenario creators. My effort only goes to making them into a playable CM campaign....

Wow, thanks for that link... impressive!

Anyone could, if they wished to spend the effort, do that with any set of scenarios. But QB maps are not, in and of themselves scenarios. They have no forces until you start a QB. So they can't be linked into a campaign until you first make them into scenarios. Which you can certainly do, by using the QB map as the basis for a scenario. But you'd have to assign forces because the campaign won't use random picks pulled out at the beginning of each map.

So:

Curious to know, would it be possible to link the QB scenarios together as a campaign?  That could be very interesting as well.

They ain't scenarios. They're QB maps, and that's a significant difference. But with a bunch of work, yes, they can be used as the basis for scenarios which can then be linked into a campaign. Same as any map.

Anyone could, if they wished to spend the effort, do that with any set of scenarios. But QB maps are not, in and of themselves scenarios. They have no forces until you start a QB. So they can't be linked into a campaign until you first make them into scenarios. Which you can certainly do, by using the QB map as the basis for a scenario. But you'd have to assign forces because the campaign won't use random picks pulled out at the beginning of each map.

So:

They ain't scenarios. They're QB maps, and that's a significant difference. But with a bunch of work, yes, they can be used as the basis for scenarios which can then be linked into a campaign. Same as any map.

Thank you.

Mark,

Very nice maps.  Thank you for taking the time to make them. 

I decided that the 006 map I had chosen to play on recently was not one of yours (correctly as it turned out), so I ended up isolating these new maps of yours from the rest in the listing so that I could examine them one by one. <snip>

I took some of the maps out of the zip folder and dropped them into the QB maps folder.  I had some difficulty locating them when I loaded up a QB.  Is there a way to isolate these maps in the QB folder and still have them load and work properly when a QB is played?  My method for now is to record the name of the new maps and scroll through all the maps until I find one.  I am thinking there must be a better way.

I took some of the maps out of the zip folder and dropped them into the QB maps folder.  I had some difficulty locating them when I loaded up a QB.  Is there a way to isolate these maps in the QB folder and still have them load and work properly when a QB is played?

There is, but it involves some work. What I did was remove all the older maps temporarily to a new folder on my desktop. This turned out to be more time consuming than I had expected, but it worked. Now whenever I want to start a QB, only the new maps show, but I can put the old maps back in whenever I choose to do so.

What I am wondering is whether it is possible to simply add a letter or something at the front end of the map identifier without screwing up how the game processes it.

Michael

<snip>

What I am wondering is whether it is possible to simply add a letter or something at the front end of the map identifier without screwing up how the game processes it.

Yes, this.  I am just reluctant to try it without any adult supervision.  Anybody know how to make this work?

I found all these luvly new maps grouped together at the end of my QB map list, easy enough; you could tell which they were because the naming convention is different. I guess if you wanted to have a random one of them selected, you'd have to shift all the others out of the QB maps folder though.

I found all these luvly new maps grouped together at the end of my QB map list, easy enough; you could tell which they were because the naming convention is different. I guess if you wanted to have a random one of them selected, you'd have to shift all the others out of the QB maps folder though.

This would work.  But my maps are scattered about and mixed in with the old maps. I wonder ................ there is that option for what order maps are displayed in ....... maybe I have mine set different?  I will have to give that a try. 

I found all these luvly new maps grouped together at the end of my QB map list, easy enough; you could tell which they were because the naming convention is different..

Okay, I took another look.  There is no option for what order the maps are displayed in.  (I was thinking of the option for what order saved games are displayed.)  The maps are not scattered about as much as I thought.  Some of them are located just before the Holland maps and the remainder are at the end of the list.  As womble pointed out the naming convention is also different which make the new maps stand out from the old ones.

New%20Maps_zpsnhgw9f2x.jpg

New%20Maps2_zps9ns6uisn.jpg

As long as I am taking screen shots here are a few shots of a new map.

CMBN%20New%20Maps4_zps2foqpmhd.jpg

New%20Maps3_zpswczzgbqc.jpg

Very nice job! 

I'm actually handing the AI his hat on the "damaged" version of the Hills-Town-Water one. To my aesthetic, it's not so pretty, because the river is too straight. Challenging map, though. Took me a week (off and on) to decide how to approach it, since RedFor could apparently reach good overwatch positions well before I could, and Panthers on hills are tough from distance even for Fireflies. Good thing about the delay though is that I've now forgotten what forces I picked for the AI. The Wirbelwind caught me completely by surprise, and could have turned the fight for the town, and I'm wondering where all the other armour is...

To my aesthetic, it's not so pretty, because the river is too straight.

I hear you. But I just think of it as a canal rather than a river. Canals are usually dug quite straight except where they have to go around a mountain, and even there tunneling is sometimes done if the detour would be too large.

Michael

• 1 month later...