Armata soon to be in service.

Lee_Vincent

16 hours ago, antaress73 said:

T-72B3M (with panoramic sight for the commander). All new upgrades of the T-72 to the B3 standard will now have the panoramic sight and existing ones may be upgraded again. Considering how much spotting is important in modern warfare, it would give that tank a real boost.

Those are supposed to be given to the VDV later this year. 

On 5/12/2016 at 10:28 AM, antaress73 said:

Panzersaurkrautwerfer is always right and anyone who disagrees with him is both wrong, and a closet prevert.

Well thanks for that support antaress!

(Kidding aside, I started a reply, changed my mind, deleted it, but the quote box remains hence the filler).

That said, in relevant news, it's looking like we're still cruising for high oil production in 2017.  OPEC's new focus is trying to regain market share which makes price increases, or restoration of historic oil prices doubtful for the near term.  While we may see increases, there's now an effective threshold for "too high" that will return excess production into service and bring the price back down.

Re: Car Doors

You don't buy Russian equipment for quality.  That's for sure.  

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

If the Khyrz is any clue than the Tigrs 2 double Kornet mounts can engage 2 targets at once.

However again thats only if the Tigr Korner version has a lot in common with Khryz as far as targetting abilities etc.

It has two separate targeting channels, but completely different than Khrizantema.  There is no indication yet, however, that the Russian military is acquiring this system.

Well yes i know its completely different as far as its not tracked,  armor, radar, amount of ammo, thermals, etc.

Completely different really. But i meamt rather more like cant it track 2x targets at once like the khryz in real life

4 hours ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Lol! good one, expected from you :D 

http://tass.ru/en/russia/790915

Putin was very very angry (because he wasn't cut into the deal?) ;-)

https://spaceflightnow.com/2015/10/20/putin-blasts-mismanagement-at-new-russian-spaceport/

The door handle operative, manager & sub-contractor are probably enjoying a nice 10 year holiday in the workers vacation resort at the Kolyma gold mine...

Edited by Wicky

6 minutes ago, VladimirTarasov said:

This should be counted as trolling honestly. You're just trying your best to provoke me but luckily I've dealt with many people such as yourself on the net. If you are trying to prove Russia is incapable sure go believe it ;) 

Tass is owned by the Government of Russia

In September 2014 the agency returned to its former and world-famous name for delivering news to global audiences and inside Russia - under the brand Russian News Agency TASS, shortly Tass (for Telegrafnoye agentstvo svazi i soobshcheniya).

Edited by Wicky

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Pack it in the pair of you.  :angry:

This cr@p is why I don't usually sign up to gaming forums.....Grow up.

Does anyone have any actual news on Armata or is this just a willy-waving thread?

Fair enough apologies, no news other than the 100 Armata's being bought. It was seen on the parade grounds May 9 pretty good pics on it you can check'm out. 

BTR,

Your remark about T-72B3M entering service wit the VDV absolutely floored me--until I found this. Apparently, the plan is to form 6 Tank Companies initially, with the goal of a Tank Battalion ultimately. And to think I once worried professionally about airlanded ASU-85s and parachuted BMDs! Now the BMDs have enough firepower to start a war, and there will be tanks brought in as soon as some sort of airhead can be seized. 

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

BTR,

Despite having been up all night, it just occurred to me that something's off with the story I cited. Last I checked, 3 x Tank Company + 1-2 Command Tanks = Tank Battalion. Presuming the writer got the Tank Company part right, then 6 x Tank Company should be 2 x Tank Battalion or a Tank Regiment (-), with the ultimate objective being a full strength T-72BM3 Tank Regiment. Thoughts?

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, let's keep things a bit more relevant.  Given the high bar the Russians have set for themselves (even ignoring past track records) the skepticism is justified.  But it shouldn't get personal.  Which is why I edited Wicky's last post.

To answer Sgt.Squarehead's question:

Does anyone have any actual news on Armata or is this just a willy-waving thread?

No actual news.  Tiny hints/tidbits here and there, but nothing substantial.  For most of the people on this Forum nobody is going to believe anything the Russian government says it will do until it is a proven fact it has already done it.  The onus is on Russia to establish what the vehicles do, when they do it, and how many are built over what timeframe.  Doubters don't have to prove anything, but of course if they turn out to be wrong then they have "egg on their faces".   Because Russia has yet to prove it can do what it says it intends on doing, we're probably a few years away from having much more than "willy-waving". 

Steve

On 2016-05-15 at 6:20 AM, John Kettler said:

BTR,

Your remark about T-72B3M entering service wit the VDV absolutely floored me--until I found this. Apparently, the plan is to form 6 Tank Companies initially, with the goal of a Tank Battalion ultimately. And to think I once worried professionally about airlanded ASU-85s and parachuted BMDs! Now the BMDs have enough firepower to start a war, and there will be tanks brought in as soon as some sort of airhead can be seized. 

Regards,

John Kettler 

Saw that news and did a quick check. 3 T-72's fit in an An-124 by the looks of it. That'll expand the VDV's strategic fist quite a bit. Possibly the heigher weight of the T-90 by several tonnes makes it less suitable to use then T-72's, ie less room for extra ammo etc on the same flight.

Edited by TJT
Grammar

13 hours ago, John Kettler said:

BTR,

Despite having been up all night, it just occurred to me that something's off with the story I cited. Last I checked, 3 x Tank Company + 1-2 Command Tanks = Tank Battalion. Presuming the writer got the Tank Company part right, then 6 x Tank Company should be 2 x Tank Battalion or a Tank Regiment (-), with the ultimate objective being a full strength T-72BM3 Tank Regiment. Thoughts?

Regards,

John Kettler

Current VDV tank introduction is limited to company scale kits with ultimate goal to form a separate battalion in each VDV air-assault brigade. Current "one off" armor airlift capabilities are limited to about 30 tanks a time, so expanding VDV armor component beyond that is ineffective. Also having more then a battalion at the time per brigade is counterproductive to current air-assault MO and VDV application in general since preparing that much armor would hinder the swiftness of emergency response. 

Edited by BTR

On 13.05.2016 at 7:39 PM, antaress73 said:

I would like to see the Kurganets-25, Boomerang series vehicules (they should start appearing later this year in real life). Stats about them should be appearing soon (much earlier than Armata). I believe the Russians will put the emphasis on them as they are lacking in the IFV sector.

What makes you think that? On a contrary, Boomerang is at the end of the queue. If you'd look at this year's pictures, you'd see that Boomerang wasn't finished when they first showed it. I pointed it out right away. Now it's much better. For comparison:

BUMERANG_PARAD_MOSKVA_150509_15.JPG

2016VDayGeneralRehearsalp1-69.jpg

So these are still prototypes. Another reason for low priority is simple - this is still pretty much a light APC rather than IFV, so it's less valuable compared to medium/heavy IFVs and tanks. If you don't ask the boys who ride 82a's in Syria, of course. I'm sure they'll tell you otherwise.

Other thing to point out - bottom hull pictures of Kurganets. Interesting hull shape where it's closer to tracks.

3IUc

0_19ae26_cbecdb66_XXXL

Boomerang's bottom hull just for the sake of it.

VaXsc.jpg

On 13.05.2016 at 7:39 PM, antaress73 said:

T-72B3M (with panoramic sight for the commander). All new upgrades of the T-72 to the B3 standard will now have the panoramic sight and existing ones may be upgraded again. Considering how much spotting is important in modern warfare, it would give that tank a real boost.

Boost is boost, but it still sucks tanky-wise.

Edited by L0ckAndL0ad

16 hours ago, L0ckAndL0ad said:

What makes you think that? On a contrary, Boomerang is at the end of the queue. If you'd look at this year's pictures, you'd see that Boomerang wasn't finished when they first showed it. I pointed it out right away. Now it's much better. For comparison:

BUMERANG_PARAD_MOSKVA_150509_15.JPG

2016VDayGeneralRehearsalp1-69.jpg

So these are still prototypes. Another reason for low priority is simple - this is still pretty much a light APC rather than IFV, so it's less valuable compared to medium/heavy IFVs and tanks. If you don't ask the boys who ride 82a's in Syria, of course. I'm sure they'll tell you otherwise.

Other thing to point out - bottom hull pictures of Kurganets. Interesting hull shape where it's closer to tracks.

3IUc

0_19ae26_cbecdb66_XXXL

Boomerang's bottom hull just for the sake of it.

VaXsc.jpg

Boost is boost, but it still sucks tanky-wise.

Not especially the boomerang but i was talking more about the Kurganets-25. That should be a priority for the army to replace the BMP-2s and 3s and easier to produce no ?

3 hours ago, antaress73 said:

Not especially the boomerang but i was talking more about the Kurganets-25. That should be a priority for the army to replace the BMP-2s and 3s and easier to produce no ?

Easier to produce than a T-14/T-15?  Yes.  Easier to produce than something they've been making for 25+ years?  Absolutely not.  As that article from the previous page makes clear, Russia is nowhere near capable of producing these vehicles in any quantity any time soon.  Even if the money were made available, which (as predicted) hasn't yet happened.

Even if oil was still at $110 a barrel and no sanctions I don't think they'd be coming much sooner than 2020 in any significant numbers.  It takes time to retool and organize the labor for production.  Why do you think the Germans in WW2 had so many different vehicle types in production at the same time?  Because it was either that or have a dramatic drop in production while the factories converted.  Plus, when the Germans (or Soviets or anybody) rushed something into production there was usually a very bad experience with those first vehicles since there's a big difference between quick trials around the factory test field and full production models out in the field. 

There are some practical problems that priorities and money can't make go away.  The high tech, engineering marvels that come out these days are even more slave to those problems than vehicles of past generations.

Steve