I love this game.

Favorite Combat Mission since CMBB. I really enjoy Red Thunder too, but Black Sea is simply awesome. It might just be me, but it also seems like it's a little better optimized, too. 

I really liked CMSF, but this feels like a little more in every way. I love how immersive it is. 

one of my all-time favorite books as a teenager was Team Yankee.  A story about an American armor company during WWIII in the late 80s.  It was that book that inspired me to into military service and wargaming.  I even had the Team Yankee board game.  (hex & counters)

CM BS feels like a spiritual successor to Team Yankee.  There are enough WW2 games out there to fill many hard drives (great ones too, mind you) and 'modern' scenarios often seem relegated to the Call of Duty garbage of late.  Nice to see something genuinely academic.  I'm excited to see more.  

Battlefront.....my paypal account is ready.   ;)

Edited by vyrago

BFC would be crazy not to expand this game. I predict USMC for first expansion, with a campaign that sees them assaulting into Crimea as per the backstory and coming up against Unconventional forces (A.K.A. Separatists) in this predominantly Russian-speaking area.

That will be great. I expect Polish / German (and British / French also if possible) as Nato pack. Specially Polish army will be interesting, since they mixed eastern + western weapon systems nicely. I can't wait to see Leo 2 + Twardy operates together. (Of course we have German leo2, too)  Also, I want to see Armata tank. 2017 would be enough time to see Armata in action.

Ever since BF had made CMBO I have been requesting basically this game with modern forces pitted against each other . CMSF  did not do it for me and I lost interest, I wanted US vs Russia and you can throw in the rest of Nato for fun. But the two top dogs is where it was at.

Needless to say, it has been everything I could hope for. The battles and tactics can be great. Modern warfare is very mobile and I am really enjoying that. I cannot get enough of it. I have a major addition.

You right in that they will likely build the models for cmbs in about the same add on order as the did with shock force.

Personally. I would like to see them branch out to something new since I am enjoying this so much.  China is becoming a major world power and the equipment in their military is also impressive. maybe it is time to create a whole new area of conflict with china as the combatant.

Personally. I would like to see them branch out to something new since I am enjoying this so much.  China is becoming a major world power and the equipment in their military is also impressive. maybe it is time to create a whole new area of conflict with china as the combatant.

I'm with you there. China is a major world power and they have one of the world's great military industrial complexes (after USA, EU, and Russia). It would be great if BFC could find a way to include China at some point in the future, if not in CMBS, then in a future game. 

I'm with you there. China is a major world power and they have one of the world's great military industrial complexes (after USA, EU, and Russia). It would be great if BFC could find a way to include China at some point in the future, if not in CMBS, then in a future game. 

It would need to be a new game, but It would be interesting to get some other players in the mix and that could be a possible area to go.

The main reason I admire this game so much, especially after having abandoned SF in despair, is because the basic mechanics are really squared away now, with very few AI glitches. For example, last night in a WEGO campaign battle, I saw a scout Humvee spot a distant tank platoon and smartly reverse course, breaking the T-90s' LOS while doing its job by placing spot intel markers on the map. There was a time when one could only wish for this level of AI in CM and the expectation was that the Hummer would either freeze in the tanks' gunsights, or pursue its plotted course for the last three seconds of its life. This might sound small but it is huge, and the main reason I play the game.

+1 vote for China.

I would love a Taiwan scenario game. It could start as a 'soft' invasion like with Crimea, but then it goes hot.

China gets a foothold and a substantial force on the island, backed by separatists armed by China.  Then the 7th Fleet makes crossing the straight untenable for China and cordons the island. US then sends a joint expeditionary force to assist the Taiwanese military.  China refuses to give in, trying to get a divided Taiwan at least. All kinds of scenarios!

Edited by Imperial Grunt

My idea for a DLC expansion:

At the US Army CGSC they use a fictional scenario for the culminating exercise. It takes place in the Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan/Turkey (known as GAAT) area and revolves around the Iranian government collapsing and the northern 2/3 of the country with the bulk of the former Iranian military splitting off into a new regime called Ahuristan. Basically Ahuristan invades Azerbaijan to "reunite the people" common to both areas and the wargame centers on the US response.

I went through it before I knew about CMBS but I couldn't stop thinking the entire time about how it would make a great wargame. I tried with Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, but the ground forces in that game are pretty much just there for targets and are not really modeled, so I gave up on it. The amount of material CGSC has written about the backstory is incredible, everything from ethnic/economic/political/military overviews of each area in the region to complete orders of battle and equipment lists. We almost have the tools now in CMBS to start making scenarios for it, but we would need some USMC and more of the legacy Russian equipment used by just about everyone in the region along with the Iranian reverse-engineered equipment to really dig into it.

The main reason I admire this game so much, especially after having abandoned SF in despair, is because the basic mechanics are really squared away now, with very few AI glitches. For example, last night in a WEGO campaign battle, I saw a scout Humvee spot a distant tank platoon and smartly reverse course, breaking the T-90s' LOS while doing its job by placing spot intel markers on the map. There was a time when one could only wish for this level of AI in CM and the expectation was that the Hummer would either freeze in the tanks' gunsights, or pursue its plotted course for the last three seconds of its life. This might sound small but it is huge, and the main reason I play the game.

I don't know if you've played CMSF since the final patches but it's very similar. Obviously a lot of little refinements aren't there but gameplay-wise what you describe is definitely in Shock Force. 

I was initially disgusted with CMSF upon it's release.A couple of modules later and the immense patches it needed and it turned into a really great fun game.I spent a hundreds of hours playing it.Absolutely delighted we now have the newer version with the better engine.Roll on the next module.Totally love the modern toys and their firepower.

I don't know if you've played CMSF since the final patches but it's very similar. Obviously a lot of little refinements aren't there but gameplay-wise what you describe is definitely in Shock Force. 

Good to know.The Battlefront devs are both enthusiastic and honorable so I would expect no less, but it's a thrill that CMBS is so good "out of the box" that all patch discussions have been about how to make a great game even better rather than how to fix broken features.  The modern battlefield environment is really harsh, making this command simulation of it very difficult to master, so it's particularly important that sound tactics (and a little luck) are rewarded rather than jeopardized by unpredictable glitches.  I love CMBS; it is easily the best in this series I have ever played.  I give ChrisND huge credit.

Well, I fell in love with my first CM game - CMBN and with every patch and module/pack my love for it strengthened. I currently play with 3 mistresses, besides CMBN also CMRT and CMBS. When I switch between them I feel like I'm in the harem. Each mistress is different enough to another that I don't get bored 'cos I always find something new and different in each.  

;)

We all love this game. After all, that is why we are registered on this forum.

In most of other game forums, you have legions of people claiming about quality, playability or other things upon game release. It is not the case of CMBS which says a lot about the work done by Battlefront. I have played most of it and this is the best one.