The Battle of La Ferme Dupont - A CAAR

I think I figured it out but it does make you think of tanks or something ominous.  If you ever do a AAR like this that includes tanks you may find you want to use that sound effect to represent an unseen tank near by.  I don't really have an alternative suggestion of the top of my head but I bet some people could throw out a few...

For consistencies sake I'll keep using it in this AAR; I'll have to see what I could replace it with if I ever do another. I wanted to represent general action the sounds of non-specific gunfire. That's why I didn't use the "Pop!" graphic as I use that to represent single shots aimed at a target in the scene.

Bud B

Whew, I was thinking there were Shermans that were going to crash through the hedgerows at any minute.  I feel more secure for the lads now.  :D

Heinrich505

If Kohl has Shermans (or even Stuarts for that matter) I'm seriously screwed!

Thank goodness I set the QB generator to Infantry Only.

*whew*

"Pop" is a bit odd sound effect for a gunshot :)

And you might skip the "rrrumble" for background gunfire, maybe substitute some "ratatatat" or similar :)

Trouble is, all the real gunfire (ie: not Hollywood) I heard always sounded rather a lot like.."pop" to me. Unless you're right next to the lunatic blazing away with 3" Magnum 12 gauge slugs... :P

The software on the iPad didn't have a few "sound effects" that I might have chosen over "Pop" had I had them when I started - eg: "bang!" I have since then made graphics for other sounds I want, but for consistency's sake, I'm sticking to "pop" as it's what I used thus far. If Bil Hardenberger is right and AAR's are addictive to write, I will change up the things I do for the next one. ;)

Edited by Bud_B

This brings us to the end of the first 6 minutes of this 30 minute battle. Both of us are maneuvering for an advantage, and Kohl is doing quite well in making my Infantry Gun utterly useless. I'm concerned about that guy with the rifle-grenade in the southeast corner. I think there are likely a good 8 infantry shooting at the IG. On the other hand, my mg's might have swept clean the field near the southern wood. If that's the case, 1st Squad may make it to the farm in the next three minute segment. That will make it a lot harder for Kohl to ever reach let alone take the objective...I hope.

SitRep coming up...

Still looking pretty even in terms of casualties. You need to get that IG going - good luck.

Strange how one GI with a rifle grenade has me so worried. I guess that's what happens when your whole force is only 41 men!

Casualty wise were sort of even, but if Kohl has a full platoon that's 39 men right there and not counting bazooka teams or the MMG and I don't know if he has anything else. He's lost a little less than me but has more to start with.

I hope I don't run out of ammo for the HMG 42. That thing does miracles!

Bud,

You might start having the HMG use the target briefly command.  That might save some ammo.

Tension mounts as the men get ready for the dash through the open. 

Heinrich505

I'm letting the HMG crew pick their own targets. They swept the area clean (it seems) around the Southern Wood. If this is true, then 1st Squad will have a leisurely all towrd the farmhouse. I hope I its, I feel like a rat in a cage up on the Wood Lot hill! Everyone except Willy's group are still basically where they started.

Good suggestion though, if I end up haveing targets for the HMG I'll definitely do what you suggest. I'm fact, I might do it soon as area suppression fire. I know there are GIs behind the orchard hedgerow. A bit of suppression may be useful...

Strange how one GI with a rifle grenade has me so worried. I guess that's what happens when your whole force is only 41 men!

Casualty wise were sort of even, but if Kohl has a full platoon that's 39 men right there and not counting bazooka teams or the MMG and I don't know if he has anything else. He's lost a little less than me but has more to start with.

I hope I don't run out of ammo for the HMG 42. That thing does miracles!

One good round from the leIG may equalize things. Its so tough though to keep them on the gun and able to fire. 

Edited by Rinaldi

One good round from the leIG may equalize things. Its so tough though to keep them on the gun and able to fire.

Good lord, YES! I assumed it was simply my own inexperience with the game that was causing me so much grief.

My next turn (I get back Kohl's response tonight) will show if finally the damn thing is operational. I'm not sure if the crew will fire it if pinned but correctly deployed and facing the target properly, or if they must be unpinned to fire. If its the latter I may have a problem.

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

Yes, by all means, get that gun firing. Not sure if having an officer near them might steady them a bit.

Heinrich505

Good tip! I'll have to get Lt. Warner to..um..lead.

He's not far from the IG. I'll see if moving him closer will help.

Edited by Bud_B