The Battle of La Ferme Dupont - A CAAR

I'll certainly consider it. It's a lot of work to give it sufficient detail, scope and make it interesting. I mentioned in my introductory post that I was reluctant to do a traditional one. Silly me, I thought this method would be less work! LOL

This is more work than you expected - there is hope for me yet then :D

This is more work than you expected - there is hope for me yet then :D

Your monster battle AAR was fantastic. No way I'd think about even PLAYING a battle that big let alone doing an AAR! I'm overwhelmed commanding larger forces in a campaign at FGM as it is. Great bunch, but they're more experienced than I am and it shows. :(

Edited by Bud_B

All right, folks...

The last panel I posted of the comic wraps up the first 3 Minutes of the battle. I'm surprised at the relatively low casualties (famous last words!) on both sides. I think we are both being cautious, with moments of risk that upcoming panels will show are...well, risky.

27 minutes to go...

Wish I could get paid to do this, I'm having a blast!

Your monster battle AAR was fantastic. No way I'd think about even PLAYING a battle that big let alone doing an AAR!

LOL yeah that was a bunch of work - I am sad it just died away though. I still kick my friend in the but for bailing on me when I see him. But while I will play a battle that big again and I will do an AAR again I don't think I'll do both at the same time :)

LOL yeah that was a bunch of work - I am sad it just died away though. I still kick my friend in the but for bailing on me when I see him. But while I will play a battle that big again and I will do an AAR again I don't think I'll do both at the same time :)

Good idea - unless you suddenly have nothing else to do.... uh, yah right, like that's gonna happen! :P

Great stuff, thanks for the effort  :D

If not said already... Perhaps put it all together in a single PDF for download at the end?  Good promo material.

-F

Thanks! Glad you like it.

I have already put together a PDF of the first 18 pages posted. It's...over 200 mb! I may need to change resolution on the PDFs compared to the jpgs...

Good idea - unless you suddenly have nothing else to do.... uh, yah right, like that's gonna happen! :P

Hee hee I always have too much on the go and I keep signing up for more. Actually in my middle age I am getting better at not signing up for too much stuff but I do seem to be always skirting around the edge.

GREAT job, Bud!! Very cool idea and well executed. A few observations:

It has been a little difficult (at least for me) to visualize what's going at a higher level by just seeing the level 1-2 screenshots, but I'm getting more familiar with the lay of the land as you extend the CAAR. The "sitrep" map in your last graphical post was very helpful in putting everything together...don't be shy about using these liberally as Bil does in his reports (and Bil -- don't even THINK about retiring from your AAR duties!)

Story element -- the comic format certainly creates more of a narrative environment, which is kinda cool. To really breathe some life into these little p-truppen, you might want to create more of a personal backdrop to selected troops, in addition to Lt. Warner. Pnzrldr's approach is great in this regard...you really start associating with the individuals as time goes by and you feel it when they triumph -- or die trying.

Keep up the great work!!!

PanzerMiller,

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

I tried to almost always give the screenshots at least some view of what is in the distance, hoping it might make it easier for readers to follow the topography of the map as well as the location of events. Clearly, I need to give more open views to help with that. Good Point about level 1-2 views, thank you. I will be gradually introducing more expansive shots.

The SitRep post was meant to clarify things a great deal, as were a the other 2(?) Broad views with labels, but I suspect the fact I made the map itself is working against me as a story teller; I just know the map so well that I can identify where I am instantly and that makes it seem very obvious to me where it is not to the reader.

Maybe I should upload the actual map to the Repository, though that seems like a cop-out. The comic should let the reader know everything they should.

Your suggestion of focusing on more specific individuals is one I thought of as well. I'm introducing that into the next segment. The difficulty I had with that (beyond simply fabricating a storyline that does not exist) is that this is a battle, and the actions are dependent of the exigencies of the situation rather than a heroic element.

If someone could point me to Pnzerldr's work I'd like to see it.

So to help readers I've taken one of the screenshots from the start of the battle. This lets you see, looking from the North toward the South, the general lay of the land without the comic elements.

The Germans start in the Wood Lot in the lower left (NE) and the Americans start in the Southern Wood in the upper right (SW).

The map is basically flat with the road slightly depressed compared to the surrounding terrain. The Wood Lot, Southern Wood, and the clump of trees with the Family Plot, are slightly higher than everything else.

The orchard has a tall hedgerow on two sides, facing North toward the Wood Lot, and East.

I hope this helps.

IMG_0486.JPG

Willy knows a bit of English. He visited the U.S. with his parents. His friend Hans never understood the joke "there once away a girl from Nantucket," because Willy changed it to "there once was a girl from Düsseldorf."

Try to get naughty rhymes with Düsseldorf...

Willy could never get it to work...

Edited by Bud_B

Willy knows a bit of English. He visited the U.S. with his parents. His friend Hans never understood the joke "there once away a girl from Nantucket," because Willy changed it to "there once was a girl from Düsseldorf."

Try to get naughty rhymes with Düsseldorf...

Willy could never get it to work...

Ha Ha Ha.. That is brilliant.