POKING THE BEAR

Hey, FWIW and obvious major spoilers, but Krause is doing playthrough video of this scenario on the stickied thread at top of the forum.  I am heckling lightly, since he tried to label me as 'old.' His pre-mission rundown (all that he has hung so far) is fairly good, with a few miscues.  One thing I forgot to mention - management of your individual rounds of AT ordnance can also be key.  You will likely get attrited some, and if you play the 'hard' version, you really don't have much to go around.  Knowing where it all is and doling it out only as needed can be key.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  Overwhelmingly happy to see this thread.  Couple points. 

Chris and I had opposite viewpoint (or simple miscommunication) on allocating easy/hard mission.  He wound up giving hard mission to folks who do poorly in preceding one.  I thought they should get an easier ride, and folks fresh from overwhelming victory should have to suck it up.  Either use a utility (one on GaJ's board?) to decompile the campaign, run through and deliberately throw the preceding mission, or perhaps I'll hang the 'hard' version out there on the repos for a challenge game.

I am having issues with Poking the Bear.

I got a total victory on the outskirts scenario so I assume I should get an easy Poking?. But what I am seeing sure doesn't seem easy. I knocked out the SPAA with precision arty though l lost 3 drones.

But the problem I am having is that the Russian armor is coming straight at me from both flanks. I can't react fast enough / get assets into place without getting the crap knocked out of me.

I mean, per the briefing I thought the Russians were attempting to EXIT and I was to prevent that. Perhaps I am getting  armor probing or screening while something else exits,  but that armor it is pretty fricking aggressive and coming right down my throat.

Without looking at your map I can´t say for sure, but probably you just overextended your, rather tiny, forces and put them on the way of too much Russian armor, there are some platoons going extremely close to the starting position , if I remember correctly

It is possible to go about this mission without much contact, I´m not sure if zero contact is possible, probably not, but trying to take ground, beyond a few good observation/AT sniping points it´s suicidal on this mission

There are indeed tons of armor in that valley, the most I´ve seen on a CM scenario, if I have one suggestion for this particular one, would be to give the player a bigger map to maneuver, as it is, there is almost no buffer zone

And anyone having problems with mission should check the sticky topic with videos of the US campaign

Hi all.  Overwhelmingly happy to see this thread.  Couple points. 

1.  Chris and I had opposite viewpoint (or simple miscommunication) on allocating easy/hard mission.  He wound up giving hard mission to folks who do poorly in preceding one.  I thought they should get an easier ride, and folks fresh from overwhelming victory should have to suck it up.  Either use a utility (one on GaJ's board?) to decompile the campaign, run through and deliberately throw the preceding mission, or perhaps I'll hang the 'hard' version out there on the repos for a challenge game.

Is this something that could be looked at  in a patch ?  It seems silly to give the hard mission to the player that just struggled through. 

I know as a very average player that I get disheartened with

h the missions if it looks like Ive blown it. I havent finished one campaign in CM actually. 

Edited by W1ndy

The mgs strykers and strykers are useless. Basically.same.with tow humvees. Best.options are precison arty and javelins for awile. Once your reasonably.sjre the tunguskas.are out call the fazt movers.in.i got a major.victory with one f15 lost. Also once precision arfy was used i just called down.arty all alobg the road.from.where the soviets appear to where they ezit the map, at least to degrade subsystems, kill trucks and cause chaos. No nees to rlly advance take the high.ground.with snipers to your right on the big hill,and.i advanced.to tge buildings.on left and slanted.hill on tree line. After air assets were xpended called for a cease fire.i forget exactly.how.many tanks and ifvs were ko,d. But was above 40 with over `150 soviet dead. Im rlly lowballing.my figures prwttt sure it was a lot higher, i.lost a fighter several afvs,and abt 30 troops. Fwiw

Whatd u do with the mgs.strykers? Mine.just made pretty explosions. Keyhole shots? I just used precision arty and.javelkns.to kill tunguskas.then basically had.the.russian route.constantly.being.shelled while i used every air asset.possible. suprisingly.the.tow.hummers killed.a.few.vehicles..

• 2 months later...

"Is this something that could be looked at  in a patch ?  It seems silly to give the hard mission to the player that just struggled through. 

I know as a very average player that I get disheartened with

h the missions if it looks like Ive blown it. I havent finished one campaign in CM actually." 

Me either 

Edited by Oneyearwarpilot

This sounds like some of my favorite battles to play :(  When at the end, years later it'd be accounted and disputed that "There's no freaking way that this many troops halted this many with this kind of destruction and so few numbers, its just exaggerated bull****" and demands of proof outside of Wikipedia :P

Me either 

ha for what is is worth neither have I, but that is more a case of just having too many conflicting priorities. :D

As for this scenario I have play tested many variants of it, with varying US forces.  I have had at times success with the Brads, TOW mounted Strykers and HUMMWVs.   I have at times crushed the Russian force and at other times been burned badly.  I can't say I have an easy answer to success nor can I say any one unit is useless.  It is one of the reasons I really liked this one.  You have to work at it to make all the pieces come together and for me the replay value was very high.  It is a fairly unique scenario pitting a vastly inferior sized force with a lot of support assets against on paper a much larger force.  It is a really great learning scenario for what makes CMBS so different.

Edited by sburke

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just now starting out that mission.  Got the easy version. YAY!  The one thing that I have done to help me out is open up all the hummers that I can.  They spot WAY better when they are opened up then buttoned up.  This has been a good exercise in LOS, but I still think it has issues.  My Bradley was able to spot some of the SPAA in the construction yard from the other side of the map through the trees.  Granted I might be able to buy off on thermal sights, but it does seem like a long way to spot and engage someone.

What do you mean, actual range?  Almost any map in CMBS currently is not large enough to be a range issue.  I don't think anyone has come up with a 1x8km map . . .yet.  There are a few caveats about weapons systems etc, but the Bradley has good range capability.