AI question: WeGo vs Real Time

Holman

I've been playing exclusively WeGo since the release of CMBN, mainly because I play a lot of PBEM.  It occurs to me that I don't know how the AI actually performs in Real Time play. 

I know that (regardless of WeGo or RT) the AI works from a script set by the scenario designer, and I assume that everything that happens beyond that script is the responsibility of TacAI only.  If this is the case, I would guess that RT play gives the player an even greater advantage over the AI since he can stop and give orders above the TacAI level whenever he wants to rather than having to wait for the one-minute turn to end.

For those who have played a lot both WeGo and RT against the AI:  do you see a difference?  Is RT a dramatic "force multiplier" for the human player?  Or does it (for some reason) go the other way?

I don't notice much difference. I just notice more or less frustration. If I am playing We-go and something suprising happens. I have to sit there for a minute watching my tank be shot at by RPG's as they don't react, just hoping that they all miss. While in real time the frustration comes from too much micro. It depends on whether you see reacting to things that weren't accounted for as cheap or not.

For those who have played a lot both WeGo and RT against the AI:  do you see a difference?  Is RT a dramatic "force multiplier" for the human player?  Or does it (for some reason) go the other way?

There isn't much difference in practice. Real-time can be advantage, but you need serious situational awareness and micro-skills to make it work. The AI generally isn't challenging enough to justify that much effort though.

I get the impression that the player's ability to micromanage in RT is offset quite strongly by the difficulty of maintaining constant overall situational awareness, so in RT, in some regards, the player's pTruppen are actually acting more like the AI's, in that they've been given some orders and are being left to their own TacAI devices to a greater extent, in large parts of the battlefield. Unless the player hits Pause every 5s and polls through every element to see if it needs attention, but I don't get the impression many people play like that.