XO takes over from KIA CO

Every few months I read a thread where C2 is discussed to include how best to use the XO team.  (Most of the time I use the XO as a medic).  It is often brought up if the XO team can take over from the CO.  So I thought it would be interesting to share the below screen shot where the CO was KIA and the XO takes command.

CTTCXOCMD02-0115_zpsc54359cd.jpg

Lovely graphics illustration to make more people aware though.

Thanks.  

After the XO took over he had no radio assigned to his XO team.  The UI showed him as newly promoted but without a radio the C2 chain was broken.  The solution was to have the XO team locate and occupy a vehicle that had a radio.  The vehicle had to have a radio and enough open seats for the the XO team to get in it.  I tried placing the XO team next to the vehicle but they did not gain access to the radio until they occupied the vehicle.  I had read about the XO taking over before but this was the first time I saw it happen.  Cool game.             

It has always been the case, and has been averred in every thread where people have asked "What use is the XO". It's even in the manual, IIRC. Lovely graphics illustration to make more people aware though.

That is odd.

IIRC in CMBN vanilla game the XO didn't take over.

This infuriated me on multiple occasions where my Company CO took a bullet and his XO refused to do his f***ing job. :)

But anyway, good to know it is in the game!

He certainly did in my vanilla 1.0 (or maybe 1.01 - I think there was a patch pretty soon after release...) games, no problem. I lost a series of Coy and Bttn commanders to unlikely overshoots and lucky spotting rounds, and the XO consistently took over his close range duties. Lacking a radio, though, the CoC was busted. But he certainly supplied local C3 to troops in visual sight who weren't under their PltHQ (I went through a phase of having the CoyHQ babysit the whole Company's MANPAT teams, as a reserve, so I know when the XO got "on station" that the otherwise un-led troops were getting some leadership).

This nice little technique is also very useful if a tank platoon or company HQ tank crew loose their vehicle. You can get the crew over to a vehicle with a radio and get command back for the remaining tanks you the formation.

Also along the same lines if a CM title (CMRT) has tank riders infantry units that get on the tank can use the tank's radio. The below screen shot was taken from CMRT to demonstrate this ability.  The scout team, was selected from specialty teams during the QB purchase phase and had no radio assigned to it.  The scout team was able to use the tank's radio for C2.  I dismounted the scout team and positioned them next to the tank.  No more radio contact.  The scouts had to be on the tank to use the tank’s radio for C2. The scout team was assigned to this tank platoon.

CMRedThunder2014-07-2619-40-34-93_zps5c6

Maybe the new Battle of the Bulge title will allow tank riders ............................  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Yes, I forgot about tank riding can do that too. So if the HQ tank crew don't have a tank any more they can ride on another one and get back in control of the platoon.

I would rather them be in something a little further back from the pointy end but with the Soviets that might be your only choice for a radio equipped vehicle.