interesting tidbit from Buttars War in East Prussia

Sublime

Many on these boards would like a cm nato vs warsaw.pact 1985, or western allies.vs.soviets 1945, 46.

Id like either and.already knew.about Op. Unthinkable. However i did not know that Brit General Montgomery by order kept German pows close to stockpiles.of their weapons and ordered.the weapons undamaged in case.of problems.with the Soviets. No.problem.providing page numbers on request. Also interesting was a Wehrmacht officers anecdote about being.marched East into captivity in may 45. He saw Russian.artillery being.moved.and.deployed near the bay of.Danzig, that area. He asked an.amenable.Russian officer who essentially said.they didnt trust the western.allies intentions all that.much. sorry for.typos sent on a cell phone

LOL. I was wondering what was up will all those periods after nearly every word.

Ain't it ironic, they invented phones so people wouldn't have to type and now people spend more time typing then talking on them.

I don't think Stalin trusted anyone especially after his screwing by Hitler. And if memory serves, Patton was pretty big on absorbing the German army to help fight the Commie Hordes which didn't win him many friends. I didn't know Monty harbored the same ideas.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Yes the book makes two specific references about Monty specifically keeping the German troops by large weapons depots of their own equipment and giving orders for it not to be destroyed or damaged.  What is also interesting is the Soviets expected fighting as well - e.g. moving field artillerry to positions that would have shelled German troops evacuating East Prussia (Troops, AND civilians) and the Soviet officer basically telling the Wehrmacht prisoner they didnt trust the Western Allies one bit...