Master Installer Madness

10Gbs in one file. One un-interruptable file. For maybe less than a hundred Mb.

Guess what? It was interrupted somewhere around 9Gb, and now the entire thing is gone, it seems my router just can't handle it.

Nearly a third of my monthly bandwidth - down the Goddamn toilet. Thanks a lot BF. In the history of hare-brained, half-arsed, user-unfriendly schemes, this takes the ****ing cake.

Remember when CMBN came out, and it was almost impossible for many of us to get the demo from the crappy host BF chose and we had to use bit torrent client to get it? Yeah, this is worse.

Can somebody please put this lunacy in reverse gear, give me the update I paid for in a manageable size or download - or give me my money back.

Am I fuming? You better believe it - unacceptable.

Downloads dying are indeed annoying.

Maybe try a download manager?  They can often resume a failed download (although in all honesty I'm unsure whether the BF download servers support them).

-F

That's an idea, I haven't used one of those in like, ten years, so it didn't occur to me. Though frankly I'm not blowing the rest of my bandwidth and paying extra for my internet this month. I just want the update, at a manageable size. I don't want all that other stuff! I just don't want it... if I did, I would purchase it and download it separately; and, I don't want to have to wait all darn day for a glorified patch - give people the option if that's what they want, fine, but this is completely bonkers. I cannot conceive why this must be so.

Hi for CMBS they have broken files to smaller size, maybe raise a ticket and ask if they can do that for you? I agree large file sizes and no resume is a killer if you have 10gb limit per month.

I bet they would.  BFC has been really, really accommodating to try to make things work for the purchaser.

My understanding is that the 'Master Installer' has been in operation for only a couple of months - how exactly did it work prior to this? Surely there was a basic and much smaller patch before which people could install?

That's what I want - because the larger (to understate it) 'update' is now officially digging into my pockets (for my internet bill, since I get substantial discount for having a cap which I don't exceed) for things I don't want. I want to use my remaining bandwidth for other things. So, instead of a breezy $10 I'm looking at a ballooning cost of up to $30 all-inclusive - yes, it sucks that my ISP is chiseling (don't get me started), but that's not exactly relevant.

I think that internet providers who charge for the amount of data you can download in a given time are violating the basic premise of the internet.

Phone companies used similar practices on voice traffic for many years, only competition and enlightened regulations can end this oppression.

10Gbs in one file. One un-interruptable file. For maybe less than a hundred Mb.

Guess what? It was interrupted somewhere around 9Gb, and now the entire thing is gone, it seems my router just can't handle it.

Nearly a third of my monthly bandwidth - down the Goddamn toilet. Thanks a lot BF. In the history of hare-brained, half-arsed, user-unfriendly schemes, this takes the ****ing cake.

Remember when CMBN came out, and it was almost impossible for many of us to get the demo from the crappy host BF chose and we had to use bit torrent client to get it? Yeah, this is worse.

Can somebody please put this lunacy in reverse gear, give me the update I paid for in a manageable size or download - or give me my money back.

Am I fuming? You better believe it - unacceptable.

If you'd check around you'd find BF actually may have a work around for you, but you don't get it by venting your spleen on the forum. ;)  well maybe you do, cause you got me to reply.  LOL  Check in with the helpdesk, I know Steve had commented during the CMBS DL issue about having some alternative.  Not sure if they will help you here, but it is most definitely gonna get you more than this thread. Steve has pretty bad bandwidth limitations so he does understand your pain.

The reason for going with the larger installer was to stop the constant complaints from folks who couldn't read the read me file to install their game, so they tried to come up with something idiot proof.  Idiot proofing comes with a price tag of 9g.  I do get your frustration, but unfortunately the complaints of the old copy protection is what got us here.  One of those be careful what you wish for things.

As someone with limited monthly download limits, I sympathize. As someone with an unreliable connection for large downloads, I also sympathize. Then again, I don't live in an overly congested stressful urban area so I don't get too upset because the reason why I left superior internet services behind me was to also leave behind the stress that came with living there :D

LemuelG,

Please understand that there are an infinite number of reasons for a download to fail. 99% of them are outside of our control. We use one of the largest and most used cloud services in the world. They are a Fortune 500 company with 8000+ employees and more revenue than most small countries in this world. But even they experience problems, as people who tried downloading Black Sea a few weeks ago know. So yup, it sucks to be reminded that the world isn't perfect and it doesn't always produce expected results, but that is life and blowing a gasket over it doesn't make it any different.

What I suggest is file a ticket and say that you are on limited bandwidth. We can hook you up with the old v3.0 Installer which you will then have to patch to v3.11. Much, much, much smaller than the 10gb download, but it often produces headaches which the large installer is designed to solve.

About the reason for the big installer. CMBN has evolved into a complex beast, especially for those who have been with the game since v1. This has produced an endless variety of (mostly) end user mistakes when doing reinstalls. Understandable mistakes because the installations and licensing have to be done in a specific order or things go sideways. The new all-in-one installer fixes all kinds of problems. It also provides two major benefits:

1. People who haven't bought all the content can activate it instantly without additional downloads once they make a new purchase.

2. Eventually, hopefully soon, we will recode Combat Mission so that it allows people to play against each other based on the total amount of content available instead of the content that is common to both. Meaning, Player A with only the basic game can play Market Garden against someone who has Market Garden. This really broadens the multiplayer experience.

The obvious downside is the size. For most people most of the time it isn't an issue, but no solution is ever perfect. So we try to help those who need the help by offering work arounds. An imperfect solution to an imperfect world is about the best one can hope for.

Steve

P.S. As someone with limited bandwidth and iffy connection, I never try downloads of even 1/2 this size. I try not to go beyond 1-2gg, in fact. Which makes developing these games a little challenging sometimes!

P.P.S. Download helpers often produce bad results with our particular cloud. We do not recommend using them.