Poll: Would you prefer the original 2008 Syrian setting or something up to date for CMSF II

Sequoia

CMSF II Timeframe  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the original 2008 Syrian setting or an up to date timeframe

• The Original Hypothetical 2008 setting
    • An up to date (current year plus maybe two years) setting in Syria or elswhere.

Original setting with an extended timeline. I always thought the two or three months we had in CMSF was way too optimistic—at least a year would be nice.

Here's what I said a few months back (it still applies);

"I definitely DON'T want them updating CMSF 2's setting; Keep it Syria, keep the time frame (but they could expand it beyond a couple months). At this point it has history, even if it's fictitious history, it's our history, that we all helped create. I just wanna see them update it to the new engine and such, maybe add some extra equipment/forces if we are lucky. The newest bells and whistles will really add a lot of depth to it. They could always create a spinoff module for some newer setting or what have you, but c'mon, leave CMSF in Syria, circa 2008."

Mord.

• 3 weeks later...

i would love if it has the current events like syrian army goes against isis or other terrorists 

You can do that with the current version of CMSF - just takes a bit of imagination in the scenario editor that's all.  There are some scenarios in the repository that deal with recent events post the Arab Spring.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also it was initially expected the iraq war was going to be a stalingrad like fight. Powell amd others had argued yhis and it was what one would have expected. Saddam however deployed significant forces out of the city which was easily picked off by US air assets. North and South.

There was to be no last stand.

Rumsfeld was surprised by this but it vindicated his position on the war setup with less US forces not using Saudi Ports.

Was interesting reading this in Americas Secret wars.

Also as discussed there is the India Parkistain option

US/Nato vs Parkistain or Iran

Russia vs US/Nato In Afgan

Iran invade Afgan

Iran attack Saudis

Iran attack US/Nato Iraqi

Isis are in that mix

Syria / Turkey / Egypt

Plenty of scope for hypothectical scenarios

• 2 weeks later...

I'd vote for a new setting and modern 2017-ish equipment. The area would still be Syria but Iran and Israel are also involved. And Russia is supporting Iran with equipment and advisors.

Basically Iran intervenes conventionally to save Assad with Russian support. Rebels are mostly over run. NATO responds with Israeli support.

That's how I would do it.

I am fine with a Middle East setting but a general regional conflict involving the various regional armies including Iran,Iraq, Syria,Saudi Arabia, Yemen,Turkey Jordan Israel and Egypt plus NATO would be my preference. I am not interested in a repeat of he original CMSF. This could be a multi-sided regional conflagration arising out of the current conflicts with IS and in Yemen. Obviously the improvements we saw in CMBS would be included particularly the AA capability. 

What we see now in ME. Al Qaeda, Al nusra, rebels vs Syria - it's impressive. Next game HAS to be in Middle East.

It's interesting - for obvious reasons - all the rest of CM modules & games are professional armies (ie not 'terrorists per se') though the CMSF, has enemies known like no other..

What If. We will see future installments - whereby initially you think you are in a city with non combatants - then they flash an AK47 and mow a commander to the ground.

What we see now in ME. Al Qaeda, Al nusra, rebels vs Syria - it's impressive. Next game HAS to be in Middle East.

It's interesting - for obvious reasons - all the rest of CM modules & games are professional armies (ie not 'terrorists per se') though the CMSF, has enemies known like no other..

What If. We will see future installments - whereby initially you think you are in a city with non combatants - then they flash an AK47 and mow a commander to the ground.

We still have to have the professional armies as well (yes  I know that is pushing it a little with the Iraqis) I like the hybrid warfare of CMSF. In the ME you have many possible opponents which is why, next time, I would like a regional conflict, not something limited to just one country. Including Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas would be educational allowing a better understanding of some the problems the IDF confronts whe operating in Lebanon and the Gaza Strip.

We have CMSF. I see zero reason to copy SF with the new added bells and whistles added. I can play CMSF without those bells and whistles and still have a very positive gaming experience.

An CMAS (CM Arab Spring) that simulates the ongoing conflicts in Syria, Libya and the region in general would be interesting. But of course probably a non-runner as it wouldn't have a major army such as the US to boost sales.

I'd much rather that BF limited budget focused on other interesting conflicts - both modern or historical - than focusing on a pretend conflict that has been superseded by more recent events. Hell even do an Iraqi insurgency or Afghanistan game rather than rehashing a what-if conflict that is way past it's sell by date.

I don't want a rehashed Syria conflict either but the ME theater is a fascinating venue for hybrid warfare scearios which was  the strength of CMSFIran could be one of the main enemies in  future ME conflict. Taking current events we could be looking at a complex multi sided conflict

Blue US, NATO, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey, Yemeni Government forces and Israel 

Red Iran, Syria. Hezbollah, Hamas, Yemeni Houthi insurgents

Black Islamic State (hostile to both Blue and Red

Iran at the very least will have drone technology.and the updated air defense should help.

As for a possible itl I like the sound of Combat Mission Devil's Cauldron

We have CMSF. I see zero reason to copy SF with the new added bells and whistles added. I can play CMSF without those bells and whistles and still have a very positive gaming experience.

An CMAS (CM Arab Spring) that simulates the ongoing conflicts in Syria, Libya and the region in general would be interesting. But of course probably a non-runner as it wouldn't have a major army such as the US to boost sales.

I'd much rather that BF limited budget focused on other interesting conflicts - both modern or historical - than focusing on a pretend conflict that has been superseded by more recent events. Hell even do an Iraqi insurgency or Afghanistan game rather than rehashing a what-if conflict that is way past it's sell by date.

But Isil in Syria and Iraq is a pretend conflict ? It already smacks of historical and 'current' ongoing conflicts if you ask me. Making use of existing mods and skins to simulate this in current CMSF you might ask. i guess thats doable. i wouldn't call CMX3.0 bells and whistles though.

The main point i agree with you, is if US is absent...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone proposed this elsewhere, but what about a Desert/Arid/Steppe/Alpine "pack" as a bolt on to CMBS, not a new game? No new scenarios (community will do updates of our own faves), but:

1. Mideast/Himalayas terrain/bldg/doodad set, mostly texture work (maybe based on hi res mods done subsequently?)

2. 2008 "Bloc Client" Army TOE (which also does duty for Syria Saddam's Iraq and other old Bloc pattern armies). Mostly port from CMSF/Marines

3. Reskins and Arabic/Pashto language sets for Uncons, plus common gear like truck DShk and SMLEs not available to the CMBS uncons

4. "Bootstraps" of some of the best maps from the CMSF series, for use in QB/design

5. Needful tweaks for arid weather effects/dust, mudbrick vs cinder/cement, fires, etc.

6. Maybe a few "vintage" vehicles such as Humvee guntrucks, unarmoured Humvees, M113s, export M1s and Leopards, etc. which are unlikely to appear in CMBS otherwise but which were/remain common in ME/proxy armies

This pack and its content can now grow with CMBS. And with further modding the community can do asymetrical warfare to our heart's content, everywhere from Afgantsy to Balkans to Indo-Pak to Africa to Korea II. And recreate our fave CMSF fights as well (at least for NATO forces included in CMBS, at least). Seriously, does BFC really expect to do a second full-on "Third World Cauldron" game in our lifetimes, given their other ambitions and expertise?

Leaving nonQB content to users also relieves BFC of the huge portover and retesting burden (including scens and campaigns that weren't so great-- face it there were some), and also avoids cannibalizing CMSF. And since this is only a "pack", there's no obligation to convert or provide new versions/substitutes for every weapon (yes some people will gripe ("no Shilka?! Augh!!!!) but these folks probably won't buy the pack and serve the community anyway. The subgroup that wants this will want it and will want to share their effortsz