A question about the T-90‘s armor protection was found!

Soviet Hero

In recent days, I played CMBS, and found a T-90's armor protection problem. Russia's 2A42 30MM APDS actually in the distance of 4000 meters, 100% penetration of T-90's side upper hull, this seems unlikely.

Want to know, T-90's side upper hull on the AP protection should be 60-80MM, and Russia's 30MM APDS in the 4000 meters distance on the Armor ability should not reach so high. So I think, this may also be a BUG.The same problem, but also in T-72B3.

Below I will attach the actual game screenshot:

iKdhmH7.jpg

aK2E3LC.jpg?1

On a related note on small arms, I've had a BMP-3 penetrated and knoced out in the rear by small arms fire. The squad that did this had 2 AK's and 1 PKM. The BMP-3 is supposedly armoured for all-around small arms fire protection. I would think that covers 7.62 also. The range was around 100m.

Edited by Muzzleflash1990

On a related note on small arms, I've had a BMP-3 penetrated and knoced out in the rear by small arms fire. The squad that did this had 2 AK's and 1 PKM. The BMP-3 is supposedly armoured for all-around small arms fire protection. I would think that covers 7.62 also. The range was around 100m.

Same here, I have had BMP-3's penetrated by an AK/PKM squad from about 200 meters.

I've penetrated the lower side Hull armor of the Abrams with the discarding fin-stabilized sabot 30mm round on the BMP-3M all the time. Many penetrations then knocked out by AT-10 stabber. Not the same round as the vanilla 30mm armor piercing. Much more powerful. But that was in version 1.00.

My test of an M3 firing 25mm APFSDS penetrates the left upper hull multiple times consistently at 500m.  No real damage seems to be done, but there are no other penetrations.

The odd thing is no hit decals show up anywhere on the T-90.  Do 25/30mm shells not leave marks.  I have seen .50 machine guns leave them.

I've got a slightly different issue. After the 1.01 patch. I hit a T-90 with 3 rounds of 155m using precision shells. Shells dig big crater out from underneath the tank. Tank falls in hole. No damage to tank. 

Is it possible the armour tweak overdid things?

I think you might have just been unlucky. I killed a couple of T-90's with 155mm precision fire in a QB tonight. V 1.01.

Stryker Cav vs. heavy Russian stuff is fun. :)

Here is my second test...multiple side penetrations...first one killed the engine and the 12th one killed the driver.  While no expert, I would think the T-90AM would have some resistance against 25mm, even with advanced rounds.

I attached a jpg because I couldn't figure out how to embed it.

My layman's opinion is something doesn't seem right.  Even in CMSF, lowly T-55s take multiple 25mm hits from 500m and can survive a while.  It also seems little weird that the rounds spray quite a bit, but never have hit the turret.

post-72907-0-17223400-1423793927_thumb.j

I have the save file for an 1100m test.  90 deg straight on fire to the side of the T-90AM from M3 with 25mm using APFSDS.  Very first round causes catastrophic penetration that destroys the T-90AM.  Again, a layman's opinion says something is wrong here.

FIle is too large to attach at 1Mb.  If someone wants it, PM me.

Edited by Thewood1

The T-90 seems to explode less violently, so the ERA is clearly having an effect.  

I haven't seen any of the especially egregious T-90 losses you all have run into.  Autocannon fire vs most things has been somewhat reasonable, I've taken some pretty bad damage to M1s and T-84s too, although no out and out kills (to be fair, I haven't had a BMP shooting into the side of most of my tanks).  I wouldn't rule out flank shots at 90 degrees especially when talking about some of the 25 MM family of rounds though, a small DU penetrator going into the crew compartment of a T-90/T-72 is going to end pretty badly (especially given the ammo stowage on those lines of tanks).

I'd suggest the T-90s are performing pretty close to what Battlefront expects them to.  The T-90S in CMSF wasn't exactly a towering pillar of unstoppable, and it'd hard to imagine the T-90 made it through beta which has a few subject matter experts, with no one raising an eyebrow at them exploding when struck by ATGMs/AT rounds etc.  

The autocannon tank kills, as much as I did defend the possibility of a DU based burn down, are a bit....exceptional.  The T-84 I just got done being very mad at, that had nearly everything useful stripped off its turret by 30 MM sounds about right for all tanks getting plastered by autocannons (it was engaged from a semi-hull down position, fully frontal to the offending BTR-82, I imagine if it's been flanking shots it have ended more poorly).  I'd believe the autocannons are over-performing before I believed the T-90 was given an incorrect armor value.

I'd like to see the systems damaged.  The video is cool and all, but it's just showing where stuff is hitting.  If you do it again on basic training, or the scenario testing difficulty I believe, it'll show you the systems status for the hostile targets.

I've had luck messing up a lot of external hardware on tank with the .50 cal, but that's been from the 300 meter+ range.  I can't seem to recall doing more than knocking out optics/MGs though.   

Side shots for any vehicle is a death sentence. Someone posted a comment on another topic just yesterday, I think, about an Abrams in Iraq being penetrated by a friendly .50 cal SLAP round - through side skirt and hull and into the fighting compartment.

I'm guessing that slap round did not do it at 4000m or even 1000m.

I'd like to see

Oh, How bold!

I will gladly show you. I had to recreate the test as I did not save, but the new results are more interesting with this second test, I feel. The baseline T-90a seems much more, ehm, vulnerable to this weapon than the AM I had previously tested. It should be noted that the only units present were a humvee and some .50 hmg teams, and they do not have m136cs launchers with them. The humvee was unarmed. All results are purely .50 stopping power. Also here is the screen shot you requested, not as much was damaged this time as previously the Weapon Controls were destroyed as well, and the driver was wounded.

These results can be repeated, as I have run the scenario five times now without significant alterations to this course of events.

Edited by danzig5