CMSF upgrade/remake?

Rokko

Not being able to play CMBS at the moment I decided to reinstall good ol' Shock Force + modules and was promptly reminded what a great game that was. I also thought how much it could profit from the newest Combat Mission engine's many features.

Is there any progress on that endeavour? I guess a remake would make sense, both from a business and from a game design viewpoint, I also wouldn't mind paying again for a new version of CMSF, maybe at a discounted price for people who already own CMSF.

It has been stated that a upgrade of the game engine for CMSF is being considered and most likely will happen but there is no time frame given.  

My guess is probably a full year to two years off as a few modules to support the CMBS game and the much awaited 'Bulge' game for the CMBN line of games would take priority.

Id pay full price to get CMSF back up to speed.

+1    Me too.  CMSF force is a great game.  The setting of CMSF represents an area of the world where a lot of the current conflicts are.  This allows moders and scenario designers to expand CMSF beyond the original scope of the game and into almost any arid real world or fictional country.  An upgraded version with triggers, AA weapons etc that could be continued to be upgraded with the current CM engine version ............................ that would almost be too cool.       

The old v1.00-based CMSF game engine is probably past salvaging. So returning to CMSF would most probably mean a ground-up redo with precious little that's recoverable. Not a mere engine upgrade. And they'd hardly be expected to return to fighting in 2007 again. So the notion of 'returning to CMSF' would probably mean returning to similar modern desert war. CMSF but not CMSF. Maybe the next CM desert war would be against Egypt, or Lybia, or some god-forsaken spot out around Turkmenistan.

Yes all these Arab Spring revolutions are ruining all the Middle-eastern armies as worthwhile opponents for a CMSF II. It might have to be Iran by default. though I have no idea on the condition of their military. And yes I know the Iranians are not Arabs. Perhaps it's time to revive an idea I had back in 2006. A powerful Middle-eastern state led by a highly intelligent genetically enhanced leader: Khan Noonien Singh!

I'd be ok with a revisit to the same old story line.  I'd love to play CMSF with 3.0 or better, engine.

Ditto, I was always under the impression/hope (okay, so probably just hope) that CMSF2 was going to be the same setting and storyline as CMSF but with the modern units and engine upgrades of CMBS.  I can still dream...

However its done, or whereever the setting is, Id like to point at what MOS:96B2P said. The content in CMSF made it possible to create an enviroment and scenarios for ongoing, recent or comming conflicts in the ME. I really like to options that give and bringing that back in the latest game enging would be too cool.

The old v1.00-based CMSF game engine is probably past salvaging. So returning to CMSF would most probably mean a ground-up redo with precious little that's recoverable. Not a mere engine upgrade. And they'd hardly be expected to return to fighting in 2007 again. So the notion of 'returning to CMSF' would probably mean returning to similar modern desert war. CMSF but not CMSF. Maybe the next CM desert war would be against Egypt, or Lybia, or some god-forsaken spot out around Turkmenistan.

All solid practical points re 'returning to CMSF'. I do not know what will happen with CMSF but I do know it is IMO a classic and still plenty of fun to play after all these years  :) 

Comparing CMSF to CMBS it is easy to see how much effort Battlefront has invested in their products. CMBS is a really cool and fun game. I have no doubt that whatever iteration / setting the new CMSF takes ( 3.0 or better, engine) it will be plenty of good game time ahead.

I'd be ok with a revisit to the same old story line.  I'd love to play CMSF with 3.0 or better, engine.

Absolutely. I see no reason to hunt around for another story etc etc or change the time frame. I'd really like just to see the same game updated and perhaps some additions to the force mix. The idea originally was simply to get CMSF up to the state it could follow the model of the other x2 games to keep the engine current. Changing the scope or background story/ timeline sounds like project creep. Keep it profitable and reduce the effort, keep it simple. I think most folks who want to see CMSF 2 are looking mostly to just see it updated, not changed. Hmm sounds like an idea for a poll.

True, once the upgraded game + all of the original modules are ported there could be some new modules even, expanding the timeline or whatnot, maybe have it set after NATO leaves the country in 2014 or 2015 or so eventually and leaves a power vacuum behind. Sounds familiar?

The dream would be to have the old content, upgraded with some new modern day stuff that has been deployed since CMSF was discontinued. But I would be more than happy to just see the old content brought back up to speed with engine 3 features and standards. 

It would be super cool to have UAVs, mortars etc added of course :)

Edited by Fizou

It seems to be implied that it will be easier to create a version of Black Sea with appropriate middle eastern terrain and TO&E than to update shockforce in the technical meaning of the term.  More so since an uncon module for Black sea has been discussed as probable.  At that point you might as well do a new storyline.

I would definitely buy another CM modern title set in the Middle-East and/or North Africa but I think I would prefer a new backstory. I'm sure BFC could come up with a plausible new backstory set slightly in the future like CM:BS. I would love to see something involving the IDF - perhaps an Israeli invasion of Lebanon vs. Hesbollah - but I won't hold my breath!

While I love SF and all its modules it has to be said that the opposing force was little more than cannon-fodder with the real challange being to keep casualties low rather than actually fighting hard at winning a scenario or campaign - you were always going to win. Add in modern stuff like drones and it would make the opposing force in SF even easier to defeat.

While SF will always have a place in my heart and hard drive BS and the WW2 titles are much more challanging for me as a player. I'm not sure we really need a re-run of SF. Main line combat between fairly evenly matched opponents is just more fun - in my opinion - than counter insurgancy fights between grossly mismatched opponents.

The fun of CMSF was how asymmetrical it was.  We have WW2 for stand-up fights, and now we have CMBS for conventional warfare with the latest high-tech equipment.  I'd love for CMSF2 to keep its focus on the original imbalance of forces but to add features making that imbalance even more interesting:  false intelligence, more robust infiltration, civilians, scripted events, etc.  Bring the asymmetrical elements to greater life.

The fun of CMSF was how asymmetrical it was.  We have WW2 for stand-up fights, and now we have CMBS for conventional warfare with the latest high-tech equipment.  I'd love for CMSF2 to keep its focus on the original imbalance of forces but to add features making that imbalance even more interesting:  false intelligence, more robust infiltration, civilians, scripted events, etc.  Bring the asymmetrical elements to greater life.

CMSF was a locate then stand-off and blast game - the OPFOR had nothing it could counter such tactics with. Even IEDs weren't much of a threat as you had the firepower and ammo to shoot up anything that could be even remotely considered an IED location.

A game about thinking how to keep losses to a minimum rather than thinking how to engage and defeat a stead-fast opponent who could potentially beat you quite badly if you messed up. Messing up in SF was losing a few guys to an IED or an unspotted formation - not losing the battle.

CMSF was a locate then stand-off and blast game - the OPFOR had nothing it could counter such tactics with. Even IEDs weren't much of a threat as you had the firepower and ammo to shoot up anything that could be even remotely considered an IED location.

A game about thinking how to keep losses to a minimum rather than thinking how to engage and defeat a stead-fast opponent who could potentially beat you quite badly if you messed up. Messing up in SF was losing a few guys to an IED or an unspotted formation - not losing the battle.

Yet somehow I lost lots of battles in CMSF, and I had fun doing it.