Vin's mods - Animated Text, Geometric Icons, Easy vis UI, Bases

Vinnart

Vin's Animated Text- CMBS v1

First, special thanks to Marco for updating the mod concept's graphics to better reflect modern warfare. The preview pic shows the light version which keeps the word "spotting" as a filter that can be ignored allowing the more important icons to stand out. The heavy version replaces the word "spotting" with the symbol of an eye. Both versions replace the word "casualty" with a "red cross" in the weapons panel.

Enjoy!

Vins%20Animated%20Text%20preview%20CMBS.

*BONUS*

Right Facing Weapons Silhouettes like in preview pic.

Flips the weapons as shown in the pic to better accommodate the text so it does not cover the weapon graphic.

Now included in "Easy Vis UI" mod on next page.

EDIT: I deleted the files in this post as they are now outdated. Look further in the thread to find version 1.03 compatible download

Edited by Vinnart

Vin Geometric CMBS Unit Icons:

Changes unit icons to unique geometric shapes for unit categories to better differentiate between types, and to make icons smaller.

Uses different color icons for spotted and FOW to make spotted icons pop out.

Uses different colors for fortifications to make them easier to tell from spotted icons during set up phase. 

The FOW, and fortifications icons can be used with the stock icons, or other icon mods if desired by adding a few "Z"s to the folder name.

Vin%20Geometric%20icons%20preview%20copy

Vin Geometric Unit Icons - CMBS v.1

Vin Geometric Icons CMBS.zip

Edited by Vinnart

Good work, Vin, as usual. I get a kick out of those icons in the legend, thirty years ago they would've been ground breaking graphics for ALL wargames...LOL. Now, they are just an indicator for what a unit is doing. Pretty wild how far we've come. I started with Space Invaders and the Intellivision game system and couldn't even imagine, with my giant 10-year-old's imagination back then, that I'd see games like I am seeing now.

Mord.

Your 'Ukrainian Blue Infantry' icon is under fow icons and it has the fow colors (dark olive) compared to blue. Even though there is already a 'Ukrainian Fow Infantry' Icon.

Thanks for catching that! I fixed and re-uploaded replacing the file in post #3. Everyone who downloaded before 2/7/15 17:26hrs eastern time please re-download the above file, and replace as it fixes the Ukraine Infantry Icon error.

I have been playing mainly USA recently, and missed it. All should be ok now, but if any other errors are found please bring to my attention. Thanks again Spitzenhund!

Edited by Vinnart

Vin Arrow Bases Mod

This mod works with all cmx2 games. The default is the thick bright arrow, which I think is the best, but there are lots of other alternate base shapes such as a pentagon to use if you like.

Check these out. I think you will find them more functional, and attractive over the stock bases.

Vinsarrowbasemod.jpg

Vin Arrow Bases Mod.
Vin's arrow base mod.zip

Still doing some tweaks and testing with the Easy Vis UI.  Plans later tonight, so will probably have it up tomorrow.

Vin Geometric CMBS Unit Icons:

Changes unit icons to unique geometric shapes for unit categories to better differentiate between types, and to make icons smaller.

Uses different color icons for spotted and FOW to make spotted icons pop out.

Uses different colors for fortifications to make them easier to tell from spotted icons during set up phase. 

The FOW, and fortifications icons can be used with the stock icons, or other icon mods if desired by adding a few "Z"s to the folder name.

Vin%20Geometric%20icons%20preview%20copy

Vin Geometric Unit Icons - CMBS v.1.1 (fixed UKR infantry icon version)

attachicon.gifVin Geometric Icons CMBS.zip

not working with NATO icons?

Good work, Vin, as usual. I get a kick out of those icons in the legend, thirty years ago they would've been ground breaking graphics for ALL wargames...LOL. Now, they are just an indicator for what a unit is doing. Pretty wild how far we've come. I started with Space Invaders and the Intellivision game system and couldn't even imagine, with my giant 10-year-old's imagination back then, that I'd see games like I am seeing now.

Mord.

30 years ago I got into modding computer games doing pixel art. We've come so far that nowadays I'm doing pixel art...

not working with NATO icons?

I don't have a NATO icons mod, but the FOW, and Fortifications will work if you want to combine with another icon mod. FOW icons will show as they are silhouettes. You may have to add a few "Zs" to the folder title to over ride any FOW icons that mod may come with. For Fortifications you will have to go into the folder named "shared", and will have to pull the fortifications icons out and replace the ones in that mods shared folder. Otherwise you will get the regular HQ, FO, and sniper icons instead of the ones for that mod.

Edited by Vinnart

Looks like the Russian leader ** and * weapons still show up as left facing?

Thanks Fizou. I double checked and I missed the gathering the AK74 with grenade launcher, and one of the RPG yellows from their perspective weapon folders in the game. I will change the file in post #1 with the corrections. Also the mod will be part of the "Easy Vis UI" package, so I am glad those was caught before I upload that one. Beyond that I am not seeing any other errors. Are there anymore?

One thing I can say is this new forum attachment capability works great in being able to swap out files. Also, better to find and fix errors here rather than after posting to repository. Sorry for the errors, but the pros do it too. That is why there is not just one beta version when going through development. Even after the final version I found an error with one of the Russian weapon "yellows". I fixed it in my mod, but those who do not have the mod will find one of the 'yellows' to be a bright orange rather than the muted shade the developers decided to go with. There are MANY files in this game, and it is easy to miss something.

Edited by Vinnart

Vin Easy Visibility UI

I set this up with each part being in its own separate folder to make it easy to use all, or whatever parts you like, and to make it easy to combine parts with other UI mods to make your own custom UI. To combine parts with other UI mods just add a few "Zs" to the beginning of a folders name.

FEATURES:

COLOR BAR MODIFIERS: Changes +1 and -1 to one green or red easy to see bar. Changes +2 and -2 to two easy to see green or red bars.

RIGHT FACING PORTRAITS: Better orientates the visual composition of the UI so the facing of the portraits leads your eye toward the information rather than away from it

CALL SIGN SOLDIER NAMES: Changes hard to pronounce, or remember names to catchier call sign, nick names, and some historical names. Of course there are some Vin, Vinman, Vinnie Baga Donuts ;) in there, but at the very least it gives you easy access to the file to put whatever names you like. HINT if you want to make changes to the name files make a copy, change, test first in case you erase a >.

CLASSIC C2 FULL COLOR/DETAIL ICONS:  Changes to classics from CMSF.

RIGHT FACING WEAPON SILHOUETTES: Flips them to better accommodate text.

COMMAND GROUP SELECTOR: Changes to clearer, easy to see red border when selected.

EASY VIS COMMAND BUTTONS: Changes to use corresponding colored border when selected to make it easier to see what is selected. Especially useful for seeing Open, Hiding, Deploy Weapon.

Easy%20vis%20UI%20copy.jpg

Vin Easy Vis UI:

Vin easy vis UI.zip

Edited by Vinnart

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know who wants or uses the text mod. I just updated to patch v1.01, and the "Animated Text" mod works fine with it. I guess I should change the description to "needing to update with each patch" to "needing to update only if you start seeing text oddities". In other words the mod needs to be updated only if the developers have changed the "strings" text file in the patch. In this case it did not change, so the mod is still compatible.

Also, all these are in the repository now if you would rather grab them there.