You aren't bothering me. I make mods so people can enjoy them so when they don't work for some I need to figure out why. Try installing the PC version and let me know if that works. So far nothing is working for Buzz, who is also on a Mac.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

At first I didn't think this would be a mod for my taste of preferring the quietest vehicle engine sounds, but I'm glad I checked this out. What I find is it takes my attention away from the rumble of the engine which I find a little annoying, and more toward the radio sounds which are more interesting and easier on the ears. More than once I've tried to figure out what they are saying. Thanks for making Mord. It gives more character to the sounds.

Buzz and I are testing something. If it goes right I may have found the problem. Get back to you guys having the problems in a bit.

Mord.

Any update on this? I tried both the mac and pc version and with both I get silence...eery silence. Using no other sound mods.

thanks

Edited by ridethe415

@Vin...and if I did my job right you'll never figure it out. I specifically muddled it so nothing in particular would stand out. Glad you ended up liking it.

@PSKW...Yeah, that's a damned good compliment, thanks.

@ridethe415...see the other thread. I posted some test files that worked for Buzz. Hopefully they'll work for all Mac dudes.

Mord.

The little "boop" mixed in with the radio chatter is enough to give me flashbacks.

*edit* This is a compliment, not a complaint.  

Heh, from the mountains of northern Afghanistan it would take a constant loop of an RTO saying "negative contact, out" with squelch OFF followed by several expletives and "are you sure we have the right keys?" for me to be fully immersed. Iridium phone ringer would be a good one, that was the only semi-reliable thing we had. I called in CAS requests by email from a global Blackberry on more than one occasion, so "You've got mail" would be another good one for me. JTAC to aircraft overhead chatter would be the only one resembling what Mord has provided so I would also need some background F-15 or A-10 jet noise.

Speaking of which... the distinct ripping of a GAU-8 would make a good mix into the background loop...

@Vin...and if I did my job right you'll never figure it out. I specifically muddled it so nothing in particular would stand out. Glad you ended up liking it.

Mord.

Glad I saw that, I was also spending way too much time trying to figure out what they were saying.

Edited by apd1004

Glad I saw that, I was also spending way too much time trying to figure out what they were saying.

My design plan has always been to make my sound mods blend into the landscape so that you get the effect but aren't sidetracked by it, or drawn to it, if that makes sense. With the chatter you have all that beeping and booping and static gibberish playing in the background giving you a sense of communications going back and forth but no particular word or phrase that is gonna pop out and catch your ear every minute or so because it is a looped track. I always figured if that happened people would end up hearing it every time and it eventually would start to irritate them.

I do not usually play any sound mods - the stock ones have always seemed fine to me but I decided to try this and I really like it. Excellent addition.

Thanks, Ian. Glad you are enjoying it.

Mord.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: After much pain-in-the-assery it looks like the Mac version is finally working. Buzz tested it and all vehicle sounds are playing in his games. So, I just uploaded the revised version to the Repos. Let me know if it works for the rest of you.

@Ordeal, sorry may man, that is a can of worms I don't wanna open. Believe it or not making just one file takes about an hour and there are like 19 files. I cannibalized half the mod from an old CMSF one I made so that saved me a little time but with all problems I have had getting this to work right, I am sick of dealing with it. This was the worst mod I have ever done from a technical issues standpoint.

Mord.

• 2 weeks later...

Mord, could you please provide the radio chatter sounds without the engine or driving sounds ?

I had the idea to include them into the ambient background sound file and make 2 differend version (US/RU&UKR).

I endorse that courtesy, since I have a custom sound for T-72 and 64 and few other vehicles.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

I did not like the radio chatter sounds being included into the vehicle sounds because if you have 3 or four vehicles standing close together (like on scenario start) it can sound a bit messy.

I had the idea to include them into the ambient background sound file, should add something to the immersion.

Mord, could you please provide the radio chatter sounds without the engine or driving sounds ?

I had the idea to include them into the ambient background sound file and make 2 differend version (US/RU&UKR).

Unfortunately I don't have them. The US version is from CMSF and the Russian stuff was just some clips I grabbed off Youtube. Normally I have all my stuff backed up but I didn't this time (for Russians, CMSF stuff is two computers ago gone). I actually did a background mod with radio chatter but it's also long gone. The only ones I have left (on the Repos) are the backgrounds with soldiers screaming + radio chatter.

There is a background mod in the CMSF Repos that has just radio chatter for the US side.

IMO, this audio, which is a wonderful one, would work better if the radio chatter sound level were lowered considerably against that of the engine noise level.

It's a design decision that came after many, many, hours of testing, cussing, and hair pulling. From all my testing, any lower and the chatter got lost in the engine noise and it all becomes a big garbled mess. But it's not supposed to be realistic, it's for atmosphere. Think of it like the Tie Fighter noises in Star Wars...we all know there's no sounds in space but the effects add to the immersion even though they are completely bogus. The only vehicles in the game you'd probably hear any radio chatter from in Real Life would be the Humvees, Tigers and trucks.

Mord.