"Target Heavy" command

Apocal

It has been a (minor) issue as far back as CMSF as I recall. I was just wondering if there was any possibility of a "Target heavy" command to avoid TacAI issues with reluctance to fire heavier (ATGMs on IFVs, rockets and missiles for dismounts) at targets deemed unworthy. It would certainly be helpful for those times when you really, really want your infantry to launch and RPG into the building before assaulting it, but as it stands right now, the odds there are hit-or-miss with no player control involved. I think it is becoming even more of an issue with gear like the BMP-3 where you might want a cannon round, but it sticks with 30mm or the Bradley not firing a TOW at an obvious target holed up inside a building.

I am most definitely not suggesting taking away the TacAI's ability to function as it stands today or forcing players to micromanage ATGM shots. I would just like a command to guarantee the heaviest weapon for non-AFVs/infantry squads will be used.

Thoughts?

Edited by Apocal

This was actually proposed in the beta world and at this time its a NO GO.

However it may be addressed again when the next module comes around. There are many advocates amongst the beta testers.

If it isn't giving too much the NDA game away: was the reasoning due to a technical issue or was it felt to be an overreach of player ability to intervene?

Edited by Apocal

It would be nice if it could make the infantry AI use hand grenades to area targets, that would be one potential use for command like this. I think this could only work if it functioned like 'target briefly' rather than continuous target order, otherwise most infantry teams using it would be out of AT weapons after the first minute.

I just want to second this. While I do agree with the original post, to me, I would use this command much, much more frequently.

That's another one that already has a beta lobby. IIRC, it was originally suggested at about the same time Target Briefly was implemented during Red Thunder development.