MANPADS in vehicles

whitehot78

In game terms, if this is implemented, a "no fire mounted" option should be there too, given how few AA missiles you usually get

You probably want to save them to give them the best chance to hit, except on very few occasions

And why not shoot RPGs and Javelins from open vehicles too?

It would be cool, butI think there are other things I would like to see implemented before this one

WhO SAID THE TANK IS IN MOTION. They are just firing from them. The photo shown sure is a unit standing still. When did motion become a requirement.

Uh, these two dudes:

Firing from hatch would seem like a logical course of action if moving vehicle detects approaching air threat.

If we are to assume that such systems are effective, it should not matter so much if the MANPAD crews are stationary or mobile... as long as their firing solution is correct.

Pablius,

I should point out that the 1943 training manual for WW II US Armored Infantry talks specifically about firing bazookas from the halftracks while mounted, as in standing up and firing over the side. Naturally, there is guidance provided on making sure no one is behind the shooter, ensuring the launch tube is clear front and rear of the armor and such. This sort of firing was not being conducted from the halftracks while moving, though. IN terms of blast overpressures and such, I don't know how an RPG compares to a WW II bazooka in these regards, though I suspect it's much more energetic because of the launch method.

Regards,

John Kettler

In regards to "firing solution", in RL we have stingers and iglas certified for use on vehicle based and even helicopter based mounts.

Now, It is clear that a MANPADS carried and aimed by a human being on a moving afv is not very stable.

yet these kind of systems do not have a very complex acquisition/engagement procedure - basically you have to point them in the direction of the target and get a lock on cue. Once locked, the system is armed and the trigger can be pulled - the missile will perform its task from then on.

Provided that all the systems in CMBS are all-aspect heat seekers, all of them are also quite capable in terms of engaging a target lying quite far from the boresight (basically the aiming reticle), I don't see any real problems in firing them from afvs on the move.

Maybe there could be some kind of "negative bonus" on the acquisition times, based upon the vehicle speed and the operator proficiency..

Some folks are talking about how bumpy rides on ifvs are and they are ofc correct. Yet the bumpiness is quite varied - a vehicle  moving at 5 mph over a paved road is quite a different situation than one moving at 20 mph in a river bed.

It's totally possible since all the MANPADS in black sea are cold launch (it doesn't light the main stage until its clear of the ground by 20-30 feet) - the backblast area is very small so firing from an acute angle does not pose a large risk to the shooter.

Edited by tyrspawn