1980's;Modding potential?

The CM series doesn't allow any modding of models or underlying data, just surface graphics (and, of course, all the excellent tools for scenario design).

Modding the 1980's would be impossible because only 2017 vehicles and troops are included in the game.  The Cold War will have to wait for another release.

Well, there's a chance to make something at least visually interesting for this...

We got T-64BV and T-72BM in game right? I am pretty sure the ERA blocks could be modded to be invisible, then you'd got something at least more similar to a standard T-72M and a T-64b... BTR-70 is in game, BRDM-2 good too.

Maybe even the M1 could be stripped out of some features (but I guess it would still look like an M1A2).

Wish it would be feasable, but in the end no, too many gaps to fill, it would be like trying to make jurassic park with bits of DNA.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

You might be able to make it look like the 80s, but it wouldn't play out anything like the same. The tanks would all still have laser rangefinders and laser detection sensors, and IR vision making your infantry far easier to find. The US infantry would still have Javelin and XM-25 and grenade launchers everywhere, and the Soviets similarly with their gud noo fings. Until BFC approach the theatre officially, you're dreaming with rose-tinted glasses on; capabilities have improved in so many unmoddable ways compared to 25-30 years ago. It'd be like modding tanks to look like knigts and infantry to look like billmen and archers: meaningless distraction from what the units actually do.

You could do that with Shock Force. The Syrians have at best 1980s russian equipment and the Germans can be downgraded to late 80s early 90s equipment too. At the worst equipment settings they get Leopard 2A4s which were fielded in 1985. The only problem is the G36, which was fielded from 1997 onwards, but the rest should be 1980s compatible stuff.

A 1980s Fulda Gap type base game could lead to a lot of interesting spin off scenarios with the help of the moding community and scenario designers.  A scenario from almost any conflict in the 1980s could be created with NATO and Warsaw Pact equipment.  Grenada, Panama and the Falklands just to name a few. 

I would love to see a Combat Mission Fulda Gap game. In the meantime however we can take iinspiration from hypothetical 1980s scenarios and transplant them to 2017 Ukraine. There are a number of very interesting scenarios in Red Storm Rising for instance :D

Why does everyone always talk about RSR and Fulda Gap rather than The Red Army (by Peters) and north German plane?

Edited by ikalugin

Re: Red Storm Rising

Because Peters did the unfortunate thing and went crazy.  Also we're talking about novels, books where the "good guys" win are going to have longer longevity than ones that were topical within a set timeframe, but otherwise discussed events that have since become irrelevant (see how the "Battle of Dorking" has fared).  

I've always been partial to Team Yankee because while it was not a strong novel, it does pretty good as a literature-based-guide to the Armor heavy company team.

Re: Topic

Someday I sincerely hope there will be a Combat Mission: Fulda Gap simply because it's a prime period in history for wargaming, and less likely to be all CMSF/CMBS in being a bit too close to what's actually going down around the world. 

Why does everyone always talk about RSR and Fulda Gap rather than The Red Army (by Peters) and north German plane?

Hey, I loved Red Army! Perhaps a campaign could be made modeling that undertaken in the book, whenever or if ever they make a CM fulda gap.And panzersauer, what do you mean that he went crazy? Re Mikey D thanks for the birthday wish!

I want to play out First Clash.  Would make a fantastic campaign.

I thought Peters' Red Army was politically pretty indefensible, and story-wise went off on some wild tangents, but some of the characters and operational descriptions were really interesting.   The initial overall pushes and the opening stages of the airmobile assault in particular were quite vivid.  Things slowly slid downhill from there, unfortunately.

I thought Peters' Red Army was politically pretty indefensible, and story-wise went off on some wild tangents, but some of the characters and operational descriptions were really interesting.   The initial overall pushes and the opening stages of the airmobile assault in particular were quite vivid.  Things slowly slid downhill from there, unfortunately.

Could you please provide a more extensive criticism?

With what is in the game right now you could do a pretty passable "future Fulda Gap" game. At the end of the day you are still going to have tons of Russians running into fewer, but better equipped Americans.

Depending on the time frame it could be more numerous and better equipped Soviets running into fewer and less equipped US forces. That said, the main attack would have been via the North German plane, where terrain was better and opposition weaker.

Depending on the time frame it could be more numerous and better equipped Soviets running into fewer and less equipped US forces. That said, the main attack would have been via the North German plane, where terrain was better and opposition weaker.

M48s (or, hell, M60A1s) vs T-64s would be extremely painful...