Please guys...Fire your rockets !

sorry, that I mentioned what I experienced. Won't do it again. From now on, I'll only participate in the praise-threads.

I can't make another fanboy like c3k break out in tears, because some ppl talk about what could be done better. Save ur tears.  :)

ChrisND said it all. It can be improved. 

Well, far be it from me to let a snideness go by without giving it the applaud it deserves. (Sound of crickets chirping.)

Moi, a fanboy? It depends on your perspective. Show me a better game at this scale. Oh, it doesn't exist? Guess you're a fanboy, too.

Now, let's look at what I posted:

LOL. Really. How many times would the OPPOSITE be decried? E.g., my AT team only used small arms and refused to fire their rockets at the enemy? (Err, kind of like how this thread started?)

I agree: in the situation you described, it's sub-optimal. Now, let's dig down. Were they surprised? (Real life: surprise/danger close, you trigger off whatever's in your hand.) After you've re-run the savegame 100 times, how many times did they use the sub-optimal weapons?

I just had a game turn where I had 3 engineers, totally black on small arms ammo. Down to 3 grenades and some demo charges. Yeah, they used the grenades which pinned the enemy for a few seconds, then, as they were being overrun, the engineers started tossing demo charges. Why wait? Because, as happened, one of the demo charges WIA'd one of the engineers.

There is a LOT going on under the hood. A one-off situation can be cause for investigation, not a conclusion.

I gave you a possible reason why your troops did what they did. I also ended with a statement that your experience may raise a question, but a one-off anecdote does not mean the game is broken. See that part where I agreed that it was sub-optimal? Of course you didn't; you have chip on your shoulder. Those chips tend to stack higher and higher until they block peripheral vision, leaving one with tunnel vision.

Your troops died. Waaaaa. Cry me a river. Must be the game is broken, right?

Ken

Edited by c3k

Ok guys relax,

For the time being all that is needed is a clear chart or table type thing to specify which assets the infantry would typically use against infantry/Armor/Building/Area when given:

a ) A Target command

b ) A Target light command

c ) Not given any Target command and left to fire on their own

Perhaps with the caveat that this is under optimum conditions. i.e. they are not under stress, being suppressed or are otherwise in a world of hurt.

Edited by Chazz

Ok guys relax,

For the time being all that is needed is a clear chart or table type thing to specify which assets the infantry would typically use against infantry/Armor/Building/Area when given:

a ) A Target command

b ) A Target light command

c ) Not given any Target command and left to fire on their own

Perhaps with the caveat that this is under optimum conditions. i.e. they are not under stress, being suppressed or are otherwise in a world of hurt.

If only it were that simple. Publish a "typical" reaction and it'll be wrong a chunk of the time. We simply don't have enough information about how the PBI make their decisions. And BFC aren't going to publish a flowchart of the options, either. For perfectly understandable reasons. Huge chunks of their user base aren't reasonable enough to accept that BFC have made their best effort and will pick and cavail at any detail they explicate. Then they'll demand more and more details be picked apart and the nuts and bolts behind them be shown, until the entire system is clogging up the internet with its details. I'm guilty of the same wants; Steve has even caved for serious core issues like spotting and given us a pretty low level explanation of how it works. But infantry use of HE/AT preferences? Don't hold your breath.