Hold The Line!

db_zero

Playing this battle and its an interesting one. I won't give away anything, but you are outnumbered by the enemy armor.

I just has a sniper team with a barret 50 cal hold off an attack by APC by firing at it and penetrating the armor. The APC retreated. I'm now desperately trying to get to the truck so my Javelin team can reload. You better not lose those resupply truclks or you may be in a world of hurt.

That sniper team is also going to be very useful against the armor. Don't want to lose that.

Not sure about the HUMVEE, though. I'm keeping that in the rear for now. The 50 should be useful against the enemy APCs, but is also vulnerable to return fire.

Edited by db_zero

Playing this battle and its an interesting one. I won't give away anything, but you are outnumbered by the enemy armor.

I just has a sniper team with a barret 50 cal hold off an attack by APC by firing at it and penetrating the armor. The APC retreated. I'm now desperately trying to get to the truck so my Javelin team can reload. You better not lose those resupply truclks or you may be in a world of hurt.

That sniper team is also going to be very useful against the armor. Don't want to lose that.

Not sure about the HUMVEE, though. I'm keeping that in the rear for now. The 50 should be useful against the enemy APCs, but is also vulnerable to return fire.

Yes, I had the same thing, I was surprised to see the sniper take out a armor unit. But it did a good job at it.

Actually, I was terrible with my javelins. I did not get any kills with them. what saved the day for me was my tank. It was the king pin in stopping the Russian attack. And for its reward, some Russian air blew it away in the later moments of the battle

It`s a great scenario

Saddest moment...don't know how, but one of the trucks decided it would be a great idea to go over the minefield at the center bridge on it`s way to deliver Javelins....

My left flank collapsed rather quickly (reduced to one guy hiding in a corner for the rest of the battle) but the center and right flank held long enough for reinforcements to arrive and save the day

I may get around to play this at some point, but I started it and looked the the narrow strip of land the enemy has and thought - Oh no, another one of the scenarios where the world end a few hundred beyond my deployment area.

Then I looked that the forces I had to defend this large piece of real estate and deemed them inadequate.

I looked at the ammo level and thought - Oh my god, I have to resupply in the middle of a battle.

So I complained to my higher headquarters.  I requested to defend forward of the bridges.  Denied.

I requested an immediate resupply prior to the enemy's arrival.  Denied.

I requested more troops to defend this area.  Even a single M1.  Denied

I requested another FAC.  Denied

Then I sat for moment and considered if this would be even fun to play.  Given my whimsy at the moment, my brain said 'No'.  

The I did what I considered the only winning move.  I hit 'Exit' and then put Pink Floyd's 'When the Tigers Broke Free' on the stereo.

Seriously, I might give this one a go at some point but when I looked at the map and rechecked the briefing, I thought this is one scenario I am not in the mood to play today.

This is the same exact mission I fired up when I got the game.  I am only into the first 10 minutes of the game but I have scored 2 APC kills (AT4 and a Jav), and wrecked an HQ and Sniper team trying to cross Bridge Charlie 6.  My right flank so far has been uneventful other than ENY arty dropping well ahead of my troops and my own arty needing adjusting.  I did kill a RPG team in the NE woods on the far bank of the river with my Sniper team positioned in the large 4 story building near the NATO map edge.

So far I am really loving CM:BS and can't wait to see how the rest of the mission plays out.

My running video AAR's of  "Hold The Line!"

It looks hopeless, but its doable. You will just have to resupply. The 40mm GLs will kill or disable APC with HEDP. Don't know if the regular HE will penetrate the armor on APCs. The Barret 50 call will also penetrate APCs and I got Arty and Apaches so far.

I just moved a supply truck forward (after my Javelin team in the rear grabbed the 2 missiles). While resupplying a section a Russian APC showed up. One of the supply clerks manned the Ma Duce and hosed down the APC killing it. He then started spraying some Russian infantry.

Don't know if the supply clerks actions qualifies him for the CIB.

I'm wondering if the supply trucks are manned by female troops. Don't they drive them?

Edited by db_zero

SPOILER

I had not looked at this at all in testing. I just went through a bit of it today. VERY cool little fight on my left. I saw the Russians putting a SA-14(?) unit in the woods after crossing the river. I sent my 3 man engineer team up to the copse. (It's the one right on the map edge.) A great little firefight left my engineers with 3 handgrenades left. The Russians kept coming. They tossed the 3 grenades, but 2 Russians were still moving. That's when the engineers used their demo charges. Outstanding! One fratricide casualty, but all the Russkis went kaput. Didn't expect that little action to be so tight.

Spoilers-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Sniper team got wiped out by a 125mm shell fired from a MBT while trying to get to resupply truck. Apache made quite a few kills before it got hit by AA. Still have 1 Apache strike left, but not comitting for now. Ukranian Cavalry have arrived. I'm not sure if a bug regarding infantry AT weapon and how many you actually have and use is present.

Infantry with body armor in built up areas are very tough to root out.

Another observation a Russian GAZ? Jeep is knocked out on a bridge and a T-72 didn't just run over it and slowly went around it. I would think a MBT could just roll over it and crush it. 

Edited by db_zero

This was the first scenario I tried after buying the game, and I've gotta say, its a really good one!

SPOILERS

I killed most of the Russian vehicles in the centre and left by engaging them at point blank range with AT4s

Knocked out 4 APCs using the 50 cals on my supply trucks.

10-15 minutes from the end I had ko'd all the enemy vehicles on my side of the river and suppressed or destroyed the enemy infantry on the bridge objectives using my remaining arty and choppers.  I arranged my fresh(ish) Ukranians and their vehicles and launched a counterattack to retake the left and central bridges.  'Total victory on my first go at the game?  Not bad!'  I thought.

2 minutes later all my Ukranian mech units (except the squad HQ and its BMP), all but 1 of my trucks, and the US mortar team were dead, courtesy of a late but extremely effective series of attacks from Russian attack helicopters.

Failing to retake the objectives and losing a 1/3 of my force in the last couple of minutes meant I ended up with a draw.

Game of the Year.

Edited by gick

Spoilers-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Sniper team got wiped out by a 125mm shell fired from a MBT while trying to get to resupply truck. Apache made quite a few kills before it got hit by AA. Still have 1 Apache strike left, but not comitting for now. Ukranian Cavalry have arrived. I'm not sure if a bug regarding infantry AT weapon and how many you actually have and use is present.

Infantry with body armor in built up areas are very tough to root out.

Another observation a Russian GAZ? Jeep is knocked out on a bridge and a T-72 didn't just run over it and slowly went around it. I would think a MBT could just roll over it and crush it. 

What's the LATW issue?

2 minutes later all my Ukranian mech units (except the squad HQ and its BMP), all but 1 of my trucks, and the US mortar team were dead, courtesy of a late but extremely effective series of attacks from Russian attack helicopters.

Failing to retake the objectives and losing a 1/3 of my force in the last couple of minutes meant I ended up with a draw.

Game of the Year.

that was part of what made the game so great. I thought I was sitting pretty also at the end and was starting to think about pushing back when the Russian air came also.

With only one unit that can do anything against the air (which mine did nothing), it was a bitter few minutes as their air ripped apart any units that might be useful in any type of counter attack.

Hey all you spoiler guys check this out:

you can create you own expandable spoiler sections just like this one :)

I noticed someone doing it in another thread and used the light switch to crack what they are doing. I do not see a way to do it in the WYSIWYG interface but if you flip the light switch in the top left of the tool bar the editor changes to simple text with codes showing and they you can create your own spoiler code section by typing this by hand:

[spoiler]
put your cool spoiler here...
[/spoiler]

Warning it does not show quite the same in the WYSIWYG editor but check the preview to make sure it is working.

Enjoy!

• 3 years later...
On 2/4/2015 at 11:50 PM, db_zero said:

Just finished. The Russians surrendered and I got a total victory on elite WEGO. A great battle.

Mind telling me how you did it?  I am completely hopeless with this scenario and game in general.  

OK I did play it to a tie, it gave me no credit for CPs behind my lines because I guess nobody was there?  So I added those VPs back in.  😀

My tank and at least one APC was blown up by enemy airpower.  Not really a fan of airpower during a scenario.  Too random in a game that is random enough.

Edited by ctcharger
forgot about air support